Posted By
David_A_Friedland
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

We are currently converting over from Paint Shop Pro to Photoshop CS. We are waiting for the full version to arrive and we are still on our trial version. I have a win 2000 pro machine with 512MG of ram. Here is our process to get a layout irrespective of software being used: scan a color transparency as a tiff file(about 36 Meg), edit it in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, and then lay it out in Quark 4.1. When I get the edited tiff image from Photoshop into the picture box, the edited Tiff is extremely small; however, when we used to use Paint Shop Pro the 15-30 Meg Tiff image would never be smaller than the picture box. My first resource was to look in the help file. It said to set the TIFF Options or EPS Options dialog box; however, I do not have this option. Is this because I am on the trial version? How can I work around this issue with my edited image in Photoshop until our product arrives?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

David

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobLevine
May 11, 2004
What resolution are you scanning/saving the image at? What are the dimensions of the graphic?

Quark requires you to draw a box first so the size will never be completely right. Since you’re moving up to Photoshop, I’d strongly encourage you to move up to InDesign at the same time. It blows Quark right out of the water.

Bob
RW
Rene_Walling
May 11, 2004
David,

I’m not sure if this willl answer your question, but if, in PS, your image’s linear dimensions (in inches) is very large (say over 48×48" I can’t recall the exact cutoff point), then to save time and resources Quark will create a preview that is 10 or 12 times smaller (again, can’t recall exactly).

The solution is to scale down your image size (with the rasterize option turned "off" of course) or to save your file as an EPS

edit: rereading your post, I’m wondering what is the image size of your image (in PS) and how does it compare with the size of the preview that appears in Quark
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 11, 2004
"dim" the file in PS.

Scale in Quark.
DA
David_A_Friedland
May 11, 2004
I am scannning the images at 600 DPI. The dimensions of the graphic are 4 1/2 X 3 1/2 inches. I would love to switch to another program; however, the publisher requires Quark with a tiff image. I do not have any layers in my image. My saved tiff file from photoshop is 36 meg; however in quark I do not know how to tell how large the file is unless I save it. The saved file is 110K, which I assume includes a link to my picture on my local machine. How does one "dim" a file in Photoshop, and why do I not have the ability to access the options dialog box?
L
LenHewitt
May 12, 2004
David,

I am scannning the images at 600 DPI<<

Unless you are re-scaling the image upwards at least 200% that is a lot of superfluous pixels! Why are you using 600 ppi images?

What output device is the job going to?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections