ND
Posted By
Norm Dresner
Dec 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay, how does Adobe prevent you from installing your copy of PhotoShop on more computers than the license allows (1 desktop and one laptop as long as they aren’t both used at the same time is the way I read the license)? Well, they really can’t because multiple installations may be perfectly legal, e.g. if a HD dies.

But there is a way they could prevent you from running 2 copies at once, at least if they’re both on the same network and connected to the Internet!

When I started CS2 on my desktop this morning, it performed one of its periodic checks for updates and told me that there were none. Since my laptop was nearby (and connected to the Internet via the same network), I started CS2 on it and asked it to check for updates too. It told me that there was no Internet connectivity — which was false because IE and other programs had perfect access to it. On a hunch, I terminated CS2 on the desktop and then the laptop connected flawlessly to Adobe and did the update check. I haven’t tested this to see what happens if they’re not on the same network, but it’s interesting that there’s some mechanism by which CS2 could detect that there were 2 computers running the same copy of it simultaneously. I suppose it could be worse and they could prevent the second copy from launching at all, but at least they have this protection for themselves.

Norm

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
garypoyssick
Dec 10, 2008
On Dec 3, 10:54 am, "Norm Dresner" wrote:
Okay, how does Adobe prevent you from installing your copy of PhotoShop on more computers than the license allows (1 desktop and one laptop as long as they aren’t both used at the same time is the way I read the license)? Well, they really can’t because multiple installations may be perfectly legal, e.g. if a HD dies.

But there is a way they could prevent you from running 2 copies at once, at least if they’re both on the same network and connected to the Internet!
When I started CS2 on my desktop this morning, it performed one of its periodic checks for updates and told me that there were none.  Since my laptop was nearby (and connected to the Internet via the same network), I started CS2 on it and asked it to check for updates too.  It told me that there was no Internet connectivity — which was false because IE and other programs had perfect access to it.  On a hunch, I terminated CS2 on the desktop and then the laptop connected flawlessly to Adobe and did the update check.  I haven’t tested this to see what happens if they’re not on the same network, but it’s interesting that there’s some mechanism by which CS2 could detect that there were 2 computers running the same copy of it simultaneously.  I suppose it could be worse and they could prevent the second copy from launching at all, but at least they have this protection for themselves.

Norm

The software cookies your machine, and randomly checks. If you install the software on two machines, and try for a third, the software knows it’s on two already; try uninstalling one (there’s a utility for un- installing it in the Adobe Utilities folder) and you can put it on another.

The security has gotten WAY tougher in CS4, too. We have about six legitimate numbers running on ten machines and have run into having the wrong number installed more than twice.

hope this helps.

gary in florida usa

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections