Any way to look like a pen and ink drawing?

N
Posted By
nadda
Mar 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Looking for a way to turn a color scan of a painting to look like a pen/pencil and ink drawing like the machines in the mall do. Is there a plugin/filter that’ll have better results than the standard ones. I’m basically trying to turn the oil painting into a 2 color black on white without it looking ‘halftonish’ and retaining a lot of the image clarity. I used the palette knife filter and it still looks a bit ‘blobish’. I really like the effects of the machines at the mall. I guess I could take a print there…but if there is a filter or plugin I think the results would be better.
TIA!!!!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Beachcomber
Mar 1, 2005
"Oh jeez!" wrote in message
Looking for a way to turn a color scan of a painting to look like a pen/pencil and ink drawing like the machines in the mall do. Is there a plugin/filter that’ll have better results than the standard ones. I’m basically trying to turn the oil painting into a 2 color black on white without it looking ‘halftonish’ and retaining a lot of the image clarity. I used the palette knife filter and it still looks a bit ‘blobish’. I really like the effects of the machines at the mall. I guess I could take a print there…but if there is a filter or plugin I think the results would be better.
TIA!!!!!

Photo into drawing:

Shift + Ctrl +U

Then Ctrl + J

Then Ctrl + I

Now in your layers palette change mode to colour dodge then go to Filter Blur> gaussian blur.
S
Stephan
Mar 1, 2005
Beachcomber wrote:

TIA!!!!!

Photo into drawing:

Shift + Ctrl +U

Then Ctrl + J

Then Ctrl + I

That will give you a nice white canvas
Now in your layers palette change mode to colour dodge then go to Filter Blur> gaussian blur.

Why blur a white canvas?

Stephan
BC
Big Craigie
Mar 1, 2005
"Stephan" wrote in message
Beachcomber wrote:

TIA!!!!!

Photo into drawing:

Shift + Ctrl +U

Then Ctrl + J

Then Ctrl + I

Why blur a white canvas?

Stephan

Stephan
Just do it, it bloody works, the amount of guassian blur will determine how dark you want the "pencil" lines to be. This is the best one I’ve seen for doing this effect, so a big thanks to Beachcomber. Any more handy tips.

Big Craigie
B
Beachcomber
Mar 1, 2005
That film star glow:

Open head and shoulder portrait of your star to be.

Ctrl+J

Filter >Blur >Gaussian Blur. Try 5.0 pixels.

Lower the Opacity in the Layers Palette to 70%.

In the Layers palette change the blend mode to Screen.

This applies the glowing, blurred effect the film stars wish they really had.

Move the Opacity slider to lessen or increase the effect.
H
Hecate
Mar 1, 2005
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:23:41 GMT, Stephan wrote:

Beachcomber wrote:

TIA!!!!!

Photo into drawing:

Shift + Ctrl +U

Then Ctrl + J

Then Ctrl + I

Why blur a white canvas?
Hate to tell you this, but it works. Not as good as using Painter, but a bit better than the usual PS attempts.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
S
SCRUFF
Mar 1, 2005
"Beachcomber" wrote in message
That film star glow:

Ctrl+J

I tried this except afterwards I ran Ultrasharpen lite on it and it turns out pretty cool.
K
Kingdom
Mar 2, 2005
"Beachcomber" wrote in news:d02orc$2cm$1
@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

That film star glow:

Ctrl+J

Great tips, thanks, loved the drawing one.

On this one I omit the lowering of the opacity and use Overlay mode to soften and make the skin tones glow.

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.
N
nadda
Mar 2, 2005
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:07:18 -0000, "Beachcomber" wrote:

Looking for a way to turn a color scan of a painting to look like a

Photo into drawing:

Shift + Ctrl +U

Then Ctrl + J

Then Ctrl + I

Aesome! This is what it came out like. Very good for printing black on whilte. But if I just invert the image then it would look like a negative when printing on black. Any help with the same effect but for White on Black? Also is there any way to get it appear more "hand drawn" like the machines in the mall? Would any of the Sketch Filters work? Some of them just give me a black image.??
TAIA!
S
Stephan
Mar 2, 2005
Big Craigie wrote:
"Stephan" wrote in message

Beachcomber wrote:

Photo into drawing:

Shift + Ctrl +U

Then Ctrl + J

Then Ctrl + I

Why blur a white canvas?

Stephan

Stephan
Just do it, it bloody works, the amount of guassian blur will determine how dark you want the "pencil" lines to be. This is the best one I’ve seen for doing this effect, so a big thanks to Beachcomber. Any more handy tips.
No it does not.
When you set the layer mode to color dodge the canvas turns white!

Stephan
S
Stephan
Mar 2, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:23:41 GMT, Stephan wrote:

Beachcomber wrote:

TIA!!!!!

Photo into drawing:

Shift + Ctrl +U

Then Ctrl + J

Then Ctrl + I

Why blur a white canvas?

Hate to tell you this, but it works. Not as good as using Painter, but a bit better than the usual PS attempts.

Desaturate, layer via copy, Invert and set mode to Color Dodge gives me a pristine white canvas.
So what’s going on?

Stephan
B
Beachcomber
Mar 2, 2005

then go to Filter Blur> gaussian blur

Why blur a white canvas?

To finish and see the effect?

Desaturate, layer via copy, Invert and set mode to Color Dodge gives me a pristine white canvas.
So what’s going on?

You have to continue to Filter Blur> gaussian blur and move the slider to get the effect you prefer.

Stephan
N
natex
Mar 2, 2005
Stephan wrote in
news:jDoVd.37643$:

Why blur a white canvas?

Stephan

Stephan
No it does not.
When you set the layer mode to color dodge the canvas turns white!
Stephan

Did you try the blur even??

It works fine here.
S
Stephan
Mar 2, 2005
Beachcomber wrote:

then go to Filter Blur> gaussian blur

Why blur a white canvas?

To finish and see the effect?

So what’s going on?

You have to continue to Filter Blur> gaussian blur and move the slider to get the effect you prefer.
Why didn’t you say so? 😛
OK, mea culpa.
Just wasn’t prepared to see anything coming out of the white canvas. Thanks

Stephan
H
Hecate
Mar 2, 2005
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:44:56 GMT, Stephan wrote:

Hecate wrote:

So what’s going on?
What’s going on is you’re missing the blur step. Just try it 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
S
Stephan
Mar 3, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:44:56 GMT, Stephan wrote:

Hecate wrote:

So what’s going on?

…. <— (me look at the passing clouds, whistling a tune, lalalala…)

Stephane
H
Hecate
Mar 3, 2005
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 05:20:00 GMT, Stephan wrote:

So what’s going on?

… <— (me look at the passing clouds, whistling a tune, lalalala…)
It’s not going to go away, hon 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections