LL
Posted By
Leo Lichtman
Oct 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Photoshop Elements 4. Just for the practice, and to see whether I could, I tore a black and white picture out of the newspaper and scanned it. I used Gaussian blur to make the screen barely disappear. I then applied all the usual techniques to improve contrast, sharpen edges and remove specks and unwanted blemishes.

I wound up with a fairly respectable result, but there was a fair amount of labor involved. Are there things I could have done better, or more easily? Joe, I thank you in advance for any help 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

ND
Norm Dresner
Oct 19, 2008
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
|I use Photoshop Elements 4. Just for the practice, and to see whether I | could, I tore a black and white picture out of the newspaper and scanned it.
| I used Gaussian blur to make the screen barely disappear. I then applied | all the usual techniques to improve contrast, sharpen edges and remove | specks and unwanted blemishes.
|
| I wound up with a fairly respectable result, but there was a fair amount of
| labor involved. Are there things I could have done better, or more easily?
| Joe, I thank you in advance for any help 🙂
|

Depends on your scanner and its software but many actually have a native function for suppressing halftones.

Norm
RG
Roy G
Oct 19, 2008
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
I use Photoshop Elements 4. Just for the practice, and to see whether I could, I tore a black and white picture out of the newspaper and scanned it. I used Gaussian blur to make the screen barely disappear. I then applied all the usual techniques to improve contrast, sharpen edges and remove specks and unwanted blemishes.

I wound up with a fairly respectable result, but there was a fair amount of labor involved. Are there things I could have done better, or more easily? Joe, I thank you in advance for any help 🙂

I might have been inclined to turn on "Descreen" in the scanner software.

Roy G
LL
Leo Lichtman
Oct 20, 2008
Thanks, Norm and Roy. Now I have to figure out whether my HP three-in-one scanner has this feature, and how to access it.
T
Tacit
Oct 21, 2008
In article <US1Lk.82417$>,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

Thanks, Norm and Roy. Now I have to figure out whether my HP three-in-one scanner has this feature, and how to access it.

If it doesn’t, there’s an old munchkin trick that often helps when scanning halftoned originals on a flatbed scanner. Take several sheets of clear acetate, lay them on the scanner bed, and lay the original on top of that. It pushes the original out of focus just a little bit, just enough to help remove the screen.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections