Posted By
susan
Oct 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m using Photoshop 6 and having problems creating a file with transparant text on a colored background.

I tried layers (text-layer) but can’t get the text transparant. Perhaps there is an option to change the text-color to background and the background (in this case transparant) to text-color?

Thanks,

susan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LL
Leo Lichtman
Oct 13, 2008
"susan" wrote: (clip) having problems creating a file with transparant
text on a colored background. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I’m not an expert, by any means, so I wonder whether I am missing something in your requirements. I think I did what you want very easily in Photoshop Elements.
1.) Create the colored background.
2.) Apply lettering to the background in white (or any contrasting color.)
3.) Select the lettering using any convenient method. I used the magic
wand, set for "non-contiguous," so all the letters were selected in one stroke.
4.) Flatten image.
5. Change image to Layer O (so it is not background layer.)
6. Hit "delete," which makes the lettering transparent.
7. Put a layer of any color you want behind it.

Voila!
T
Tacit
Oct 13, 2008
In article <G0xIk.268444$>,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

4.) Flatten image.

Wow, that’s a long way around.

It is not necessary to use the magic wand to select a layer. You can do it more precisely by holding down the Control key on the keyboard and clicking on the layer thumbnail in the Layers palette. (Indeed, using the magic wand is probably a sign that you have not yet learned Photoshop.)

It is not necessary to flatten the image. When you have control-clicked the layer icon to select it, delete the text layer, then just press the Delete key to delete the selected area in the color layer.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
LL
Leo Lichtman
Oct 13, 2008
"tacit" wrote: Wow, that’s a long way around. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dear Tacit: I waited half a day to see whether Susan was going to get any help. I am not surprised that I did not have the absolute best procedure, but I figured that she was waiting for some sort of help. Since my response stimulated your response, Susan and I both benefited.
N
nomail
Oct 13, 2008
tacit wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

4.) Flatten image.

It is not necessary to use the magic wand to select a layer. You can do it more precisely by holding down the Control key on the keyboard and clicking on the layer thumbnail in the Layers palette. (Indeed, using the magic wand is probably a sign that you have not yet learned Photoshop.)

It is not necessary to flatten the image. When you have control-clicked the layer icon to select it, delete the text layer, then just press the Delete key to delete the selected area in the color layer.

Even that is a long way around. Photoshop has a Type Mask Tool for these things. Just create the layer, use the Type Mask Tool to type the text and hit Delete.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
J
Joe
Oct 13, 2008
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"tacit" wrote: Wow, that’s a long way around. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dear Tacit: I waited half a day to see whether Susan was going to get any help. I am not surprised that I did not have the absolute best procedure, but I figured that she was waiting for some sort of help. Since my response stimulated your response, Susan and I both benefited.

That’s the problem with many of your questioners who just drop the bomb here then vansih for good. And that’s one of the reasons I sometime don’t want to waste my time passing the hint to them.

Or I would expect them to lets us know which one works for them.
J
Joe
Oct 13, 2008
(Johan W. Elzenga) wrote:

tacit wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

4.) Flatten image.

Even that is a long way around. Photoshop has a Type Mask Tool for these things. Just create the layer, use the Type Mask Tool to type the text and hit Delete.

Photoshops has 1001 different ways to get the same result, and we can use different way on different situation. I use Masking on most of my works, and Masking works quite well with most situations.
J
Jacob
Oct 14, 2008
"Joe" wrote in message

tacit wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

wand, set for "non-contiguous," so all the letters were selected in one
stroke.
4.) Flatten image.

Photoshops has 1001 different ways to get the same result, and we can use different way on different situation. I use Masking on most of my works, and Masking works quite well with most situations.

I would just create a normal text layer with my text, select and mask that selection out of the background image, and then make my text layer invisible. That way if (rather, "when") you need to change the text or its position, it’ll be quick and easy to do so – instead of starting again from the very beginning.
J
Joe
Oct 15, 2008
"Jacob" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

tacit wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

wand, set for "non-contiguous," so all the letters were selected in one
stroke.
4.) Flatten image.

I would just create a normal text layer with my text, select and mask that selection out of the background image, and then make my text layer invisible. That way if (rather, "when") you need to change the text or its position, it’ll be quick and easy to do so – instead of starting again from the very beginning.

That’s almost the normal way except if you create a TEXT on a transparent layer then you do not need masking. But the problem that we are dealing with the DEAD OP we have here.

Or many people posted the hints, techniques, but no sight of the OP.
LL
Leo Lichtman
Oct 16, 2008
"Joe" (clip) But the problem that we are dealing
with the DEAD OP we have here.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Joe, I agree that it would be appropriate for the OP to post follow-up(s) so those who offered help feel some payback. However, even without this, it’s not a total loss. The exchange of ideas among those who respond is refreshing and useful. I know I learned. Many people who didn’t post at all benefited just by lurking.
J
Joe
Oct 17, 2008
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Joe" (clip) But the problem that we are dealing
with the DEAD OP we have here.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Joe, I agree that it would be appropriate for the OP to post follow-up(s) so those who offered help feel some payback. However, even without this, it’s not a total loss. The exchange of ideas among those who respond is refreshing and useful. I know I learned. Many people who didn’t post at all benefited just by lurking.

In general, quite often the follow-up of the OP usually give the other newbie an encourage to learn new trick, and old dog won’t ignore the similar question in the future.

Or, if I remember the OP’s name and s/he askes again then the chance for me to response is pretty slim.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections