BW
Posted By
Bob Williams
Sep 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am considering changing out my 6 year old, but serviceable, 19" CRT Monitor for a new 22" LCD monitor.
From what i hear, the early LCD Monitors gave vivid colors but not accurate ones and could not be calibrated satisfactorily with Adobe "Gamma" utility or even with external calibration devices such as the Pantone Huey.
With my CRT Monitor, I was able to create inkjet prints that matched my monitor screen very closely.
I was wondering if the newest breed of LCD monitors have color palates comparable to that of a CRT.
Would I be able to get comparable WYSIWYG inkjet prints from an LCD Monitor. Any recommendations in the under $500 range?
Bob Williams

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mike Russell
Sep 22, 2008
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 01:16:37 -0700, Bob Williams wrote:
….
Would I be able to get comparable WYSIWYG inkjet prints from an LCD Monitor. Any recommendations in the under $500 range?
Bob Williams

Absolutely – the quality is quite good, though out of the box, LCD’s tend to be brighter and more saturated than they should be.

Although the conventional wisdom will include a calibration gadget in your purchase, decent ones are in the $200 range. I would recommend skipping the calibration device, leaving more budget for your monitor. Use the DVI output of your card, if it has one, and manually adjust your new LCD to match your monitor.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
K
KatWoman
Sep 22, 2008
"Bob Williams" wrote in message
I am considering changing out my 6 year old, but serviceable, 19" CRT Monitor for a new 22" LCD monitor.
From what i hear, the early LCD Monitors gave vivid colors but not accurate ones and could not be calibrated satisfactorily with Adobe "Gamma" utility or even with external calibration devices such as the Pantone Huey.
With my CRT Monitor, I was able to create inkjet prints that matched my monitor screen very closely.
I was wondering if the newest breed of LCD monitors have color palates comparable to that of a CRT.
Would I be able to get comparable WYSIWYG inkjet prints from an LCD Monitor.
Any recommendations in the under $500 range?
Bob Williams

SAMSUNG

I got one and it came with software to adjust color and gamma and more

and the video card driver also has all those options as well (ATI RADEON)

at first I hated the LCD
now I am used to it
make sure to put on clear type in Windows OS control panel

less eye strain–no flicker like CRT
V
veegerNOSPAM
Sep 23, 2008
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 01:16:37 -0700, Bob Williams
wrote:

Bob Williams

and no burned in images….

Vintage Burgundy 65 Fastback 2+2, 289 OEM 4bbl, Custom C4, OEM front disc/rear drum P/R&P, 16×8" V40s, BFG gForce T/A skins. Cobra drop, halogen and LED lighting.
BW
Bob Williams
Sep 24, 2008
KatWoman wrote:
Bob Williams

SAMSUNG

at first I hated the LCD

Why did you hate it at first?
What do you like about it NOW?

I do a lot of printing at 8×10.
If a print doesn’t match the monitor pretty closely, my editing efforts will have been in vain.
Can I make the printed colors match the LCD monitor by "fine tuning" the printer driver properties until a good match is obtained? Or is the LCD color palette so different from Adobe RGB or sRGB that a close color match is impossible?
Bob

now I am used to it

K
KatWoman
Sep 24, 2008
KatWoman wrote:
Bob Williams

SAMSUNG

at first I hated the LCD

Why did you hate it at first?
What do you like about it NOW?

I do a lot of printing at 8×10.
If a print doesn’t match the monitor pretty closely, my editing efforts will have been in vain.
Can I make the printed colors match the LCD monitor by "fine tuning" the printer driver properties until a good match is obtained? Or is the LCD color palette so different from Adobe RGB or sRGB that a close color match is impossible?
Bob

now I am used to it

when I got it thought it looked "mushy" not sharp I did not know you can only use LCD’s at their highest res setting

I was used to having manual buttons to control all that monitor stuff LCD have to use software to tweak it

it looked too bright–fixable and adjustable
the text looked out of focus- fixed… use clear type options in Windows OS Control panel

The good news is I did NOT see a big difference in monitor COLORS

but the software does give options to tweak it if I want to

good things:
my monitor screen physically rotates to vertical for 35 mm frames nice for BIG Previews
not HOT like a CRT- less desk space
most of my customers look at images on a LCD too so now I see what they see
BW
Bob Williams
Sep 26, 2008
Mike Russell wrote:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 01:16:37 -0700, Bob Williams wrote:

Bob Williams

Absolutely – the quality is quite good, though out of the box, LCD’s tend to be brighter and more saturated than they should be.

Although the conventional wisdom will include a calibration gadget in your purchase, decent ones are in the $200 range. I would recommend skipping the calibration device, leaving more budget for your monitor. Use the DVI output of your card, if it has one, and manually adjust your new LCD to match your monitor.

Sounds like a reasonable, simple to do, idea.
Thanks for that tip.
Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections