D
Posted By
Dee
Feb 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK .. I"m confused here. I have my history options set at: 50 yet when I do quite a few steps, and go back .. it only goes back so far. This is frustrating .. cause I can’t undo certain things.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Dee

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

H
Hecate
Feb 26, 2005
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:38:30 GMT, "Dee" wrote:

OK .. I"m confused here. I have my history options set at: 50 yet when I do quite a few steps, and go back .. it only goes back so far. This is frustrating .. cause I can’t undo certain things.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Dee
You’re running out of space to store the history states. So PS deletes them starting from the earliest one every time you create a new one. 50 states is rather a lot – 20 is much better. If you need more than 20 then you really be using snapshots.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
D
Dee
Feb 26, 2005
"Hecate" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:38:30 GMT, "Dee" wrote:
OK .. I"m confused here. I have my history options set at: 50 yet when I
do
quite a few steps, and go back .. it only goes back so far. This is frustrating .. cause I can’t undo certain things.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Dee
You’re running out of space to store the history states. So PS deletes them starting from the earliest one every time you create a new one. 50 states is rather a lot – 20 is much better. If you need more than 20 then you really be using snapshots.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Hi Hectate,

OK .. I know what snapshots are … do you mean I need to stop and make a new one every so often?

I know it’s probably rather simple to understand, but I’m just not getting how that helps. I mean, even if I do have a snapshot of an earlier ‘history’ shall we say … how does that help me go back to the actual ‘steps’ I applied?

Thanks,
Dee
H
Hecate
Feb 27, 2005
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:11:56 GMT, "Dee" wrote:

Hi Hectate,

OK .. I know what snapshots are … do you mean I need to stop and make a new one every so often?

That’s a good plan 🙂

I know it’s probably rather simple to understand, but I’m just not getting how that helps. I mean, even if I do have a snapshot of an earlier ‘history’ shall we say … how does that help me go back to the actual ‘steps’ I applied?
It doesn’t. It’s just that there’s a limit to how many history states can reasonably be stored. What snapshots do is store the image at a particular time. You can have a number of snapshots. So, for example, you can open an image , do any basic corrections, then take a snapshot. Then you do a series of creative alterations, If you don’t like any of them], you could go back to the snapshot. If you like, say, the first two, but not the rest, you can go back through history and then create a snapshot which includes those two. Now you have 2 snapshots, and so forth.

If you insist on using 50 or more history states you’re likely to run into a limit unless you allocate enough space for PS to store those history states. And, of course, you’re going to slow everything down considerably.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
B
Broga
Feb 28, 2005
Here’s a few more things you could consider..

Looking at the way the question is asked I wonder if lack of memory is the problem,
How many is ‘quite a few steps’ ????

If you set your history option to 50 you will only be able to go back 50 steps.
If you start dabbing away merrily with some tools e.g. eraser, clone etc each little dab is one step and you’ll soon use up even 50 steps. As Hecate says snapshots will help but you might like to plan ahead a little more when you work on an image and/or use different techniques.

It also helps to save your image as a layered Photoshop file regularly – however this doesn’t preserve the history
If you click the little arrow top right of the History palette you’ll get the History Options.
If you wish you can set this to create a new snapshot in your original each time you save your image.

If you click Edit>Preferences changing the size of your Memory and Image Cache may help.

You may find the Edit>Purge options useful sometimes but make sure you know what they do before you use them in the middle of anything.

www.micromountain.com

"Hecate" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:11:56 GMT, "Dee" wrote:

Hi Hectate,

That’s a good plan 🙂

It doesn’t. It’s just that there’s a limit to how many history states can reasonably be stored. What snapshots do is store the image at a particular time. You can have a number of snapshots. So, for example, you can open an image , do any basic corrections, then take a snapshot. Then you do a series of creative alterations, If you don’t like any of them], you could go back to the snapshot. If you like, say, the first two, but not the rest, you can go back through history and then create a snapshot which includes those two. Now you have 2 snapshots, and so forth.

If you insist on using 50 or more history states you’re likely to run into a limit unless you allocate enough space for PS to store those history states. And, of course, you’re going to slow everything down considerably.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections