C
Posted By
Caitlin
Feb 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been doing a bit of photo restoration for friends and got the urge today to get a new toy to help me in the process. I’ve never used a graphic tablet before.

The reviews of both of these tablets seem good. The price is fairly similar – I’ve found the Acecad Flair for AUST$77, and the Wacom Graphire3 for AUST$99. Both much cheaper than I expected!

As far as I can tell Wacom have more of a following and reputation in this area, but I have read a couple of negative comments on the model too. Also – I don’t need the Adobe Elements, or another mouse, so I wonder if I’m spending money on extras I wouldn’t need?

Any advice on my choice between these two much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
Larry
Feb 25, 2005
"Caitlin" wrote in message
I have been doing a bit of photo restoration for friends and got the urge today to get a new toy to help me in the process. I’ve never used a
graphic
tablet before.

The reviews of both of these tablets seem good. The price is fairly similar – I’ve found the Acecad Flair for AUST$77, and the Wacom Graphire3 for AUST$99. Both much cheaper than I expected!

As far as I can tell Wacom have more of a following and reputation in this area, but I have read a couple of negative comments on the model too.
Also –
I don’t need the Adobe Elements, or another mouse, so I wonder if I’m spending money on extras I wouldn’t need?

I’m sorry i don’t know much about these particular tablets. Although Wacom do make excellent tablets!
But what i do know is that don’t just get one because it’s cheap.. MAKE sure that you are 100% that you want that size and you know exactly how much drawing area you are going to get. I was very disappointed with mine 🙁
W
Waldo
Feb 25, 2005
I’m sorry i don’t know much about these particular tablets. Although Wacom do make excellent tablets!
But what i do know is that don’t just get one because it’s cheap.. MAKE sure that you are 100% that you want that size and you know exactly how much drawing area you are going to get. I was very disappointed with mine 🙁

What tablet did you buy and what size?

I have the graphire3 studio XL, so A5 effective area. That is perfect for me. I tried an old graphire2 (A6) and it was too small for me. I also tried an Intuos A4 and that was both too big and too expensive for me. The A6 version of the graphire3 is also cheaper available without the mouse (I’ve never used the Wacom mouse, I am really happy with my optical Logitech mouse).

Waldo
P
Pepe
Feb 25, 2005
"Caitlin" skrev i meddelandet
I have been doing a bit of photo restoration for friends and got the urge today to get a new toy to help me in the process. I’ve never used a graphic tablet before.

As far as I can tell Wacom have more of a following and reputation in this area, but I have read a couple of negative comments on the model too. Also – I don’t need the Adobe Elements, or another mouse, so I wonder if I’m spending money on extras I wouldn’t need?

I have the old AceCad Flair with serial connection A5 size and have used it for 4 years
almost every day. I’m very satisfied with that . I hadly use the mouse anymore.

Pepe
JD
John DH
Feb 26, 2005
I use the Wacom Graphire3 myself and very pleased with it. I don’t know much about the Acecad, but those prices look very attractive, I paid over
C
Caitlin
Feb 26, 2005
"John DH" wrote in message
I use the Wacom Graphire3 myself and very pleased with it. I don’t know much
about the Acecad, but those prices look very attractive, I paid over
C
Caitlin
Mar 13, 2005
*snip*
I’ve decided to go with the Wacom, simply because more people seem to use them, though there seem to be some happy Acecad owners around too.
Thanks for everyone’s feedback so far. I’ve placed an order, so barring any negative feedback on the Wacom, I should have my new toy in a couple of days!

Just wanted to post a follow up to this thread. I’ve been using the Wacom tablet for a couple of weeks now and while at first I wasn’t sure it was going to be that useful to me, I am now completely sold on it.

I’m no artist, so at first was a bit stumped how I was going to make full use of its capabilities, but simply as a tool making accurate masks very easily and quickly it has proved its worth. It was easy installed, and the pen is easy to use. I found it very natural to adjust to the way you use the pen to move around the screen. (Though I do still use the mouse for many things – and with my limited desk real estate I use the tablet as the mouse pad, which is just fine)
D
donld
Mar 13, 2005
As an added attraction for Wacom, they have the finest tech support I’ve encountered – with endless patience and genine concern.

donld
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:41:01 +1100, "Caitlin"
wrote:

*snip*
I’ve decided to go with the Wacom, simply because more people seem to use them, though there seem to be some happy Acecad owners around too.
Thanks for everyone’s feedback so far. I’ve placed an order, so barring any negative feedback on the Wacom, I should have my new toy in a couple of days!

Just wanted to post a follow up to this thread. I’ve been using the Wacom tablet for a couple of weeks now and while at first I wasn’t sure it was going to be that useful to me, I am now completely sold on it.
I’m no artist, so at first was a bit stumped how I was going to make full use of its capabilities, but simply as a tool making accurate masks very easily and quickly it has proved its worth. It was easy installed, and the pen is easy to use. I found it very natural to adjust to the way you use the pen to move around the screen. (Though I do still use the mouse for many things – and with my limited desk real estate I use the tablet as the mouse pad, which is just fine)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections