Need upgrade advice due to MP Support issues! (P3->P4)

MP
Posted By
M_Penner
May 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Everyone,

I’ve been successfully running PS 6 and 7, and now CS, on my circa 2001 Dell Precision 420, multi-processor (dual ), with 1Gb RAM, SCSI/IDE drive with Win2KPro system for a couple of years.

I just upgraded to CS a few days ago, and so far so good. I haven’t experienced any of the MP related difficulties I see posted here (e.g. crash/hang on magic wand, bucket, etc). I’m guessing that’s because my CPUs are P3s, instead of P4s, and also because I’m running Win2KPro, instead of XP.

I am concerned about the MP related difficulties people are having because I’m planning on purchasing a new system sometime in the next month or two. I’ve been trying to determine whether or not to go with another dual-cpu system (Xeon 3.2Ghz, Athlon, Opteron), or just stick with a single CPU system (if Intel, hyperthreading would be an option).

My questions are:

1a. Exactly what operations do take advantage of multi-processors? The posts here say that only certain operations take advantage, but so far I haven’t seen a post that says which operations they are. Any info on that? If referencing another part of the website, please provide the URL (thanks)!

1b. How does PS CS using MP with just hyperthreading on a single 533 FSB?

1c. What is a realistic timeframe to expect a patch for PS CS that fixes all of the MP related issues? Just some kind of scale would be good, as in within 1 – 4 weeks, or is it months away?

2. If I do go with another multi-processor system, what’s the recommendation? Xeon, Athlon, Opteron? Let’s assume I don’t care about any future support for 64-bit. All I care about is immediate performance benefit today.

3. If I go with a single CPU system, what’s the recommendation? P4 with hyperthreading, or Athlon? Any particular vendor proving to be head-and-shoulders above the rest?

4. What’s the recommended RAM? I’ve read some posts that seem to indicate that are problems with PS CS addressing more than 1Gb or RAM…is that correct? In any case, if I go with a 4Gb RAM system (as opposed to 1Gb or 2Gb), it is worth it? Assume I’ll be working with 8MP – 11MP images and 16-bit processing.

5. What’s the recommended OS? Win XP Pro or stick with Win2K Pro?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,

Mike

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
Maryo
May 10, 2004
Here I’ve a supermicro xdal-tg2 dual Xeon 3ghz system with 4gb ram, quadroFx video card, sata raid0 hdd’s system x swap use and xp-pro sp1.

I usually play with extremely large planetary maps, often in size over 40000 x 20000px, 8 or 16bit, multi layers and multiGb file size. I’ve never experienced any problem with CS (CS with 85% memory use slider), not a single crash or MP/multithreading issue. I’m really happy about it. I see that CS take advantage of almost all the 4 cpu’s (2 physical and 2 hyperthreading) in various task, some I can remember are:

– bicubic resize
– some noise filter
– some render filter
– gaussian blur
– not sure, color space or depth conversion

I’ve played with two AthlonMP system in the past (tyan tigerMP board), reliable pc but with some issue when using large ram amounts.
For high end pc’s at the moment I prefer Intel, I know that AMD solutions are probably more powerful, but the stability of the system and the perfect sw. compatibility is very important for me (and I think for the majority of the user).
MP
M_Penner
May 10, 2004
Thanks for the response Maryo.

I’m glad to hear you’re not having any MP problems, as it appears that many are.

By the way…who is the vendor for your computer system? I know SuperMicro is the motherboard manufacturer, and I know that AMAX is a distributor here in the U.S., but who is the reseller? I’m just curious.

Thanks,

Mike
DM
dave_milbut
May 10, 2004
check the downloads area. the cs MP update is ready! 🙂
MP
M_Penner
May 10, 2004
Excellent! Thanks for the update Dave.

Do you have time to read through my original post, and provide comments/answers to my questions regarding upgrading?

I’m just trying to figure out how much of a boost I would get with multiple CPUs vs a single CPU with hyperthreading, exactly which operations in PS CS make use of MP, etc. There are about 6 or 7 questions in there…any insight you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
DM
dave_milbut
May 10, 2004
I’ve never had the pleasure of playing on a multi-processor system (other than our work servers, not for play of course) so I wouldn’t be able to compare for you. I do love my 2.8 hyperthreaded though. 800mhz fsb (actually parallel quad 200’s). Intel d865perl board. 1 gig 400mhz (pc3200) ddr memory. SATA hard drive (no raid, although i have the controller on board.) Had it for about 6 mos. now. Very sweet.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2004
1a) All of them.

1b) The dual will be faster for CPU limited tasks, and the single CPU with the faster bus will be faster for bandwidth limited tasks (go for the faster bus)

1c) Posted today

2) Opteron (or PowerMac G5)

3) Athlon64

4) No problems – the more the better, but PS can’t use more than 2 Gig (but other applications and the OS can make use of the leftover RAM). F or 8 to 11 MP, even 1 Gig should be fine.

5) XP
MP
M_Penner
May 11, 2004
Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

For 1b), are you suggesting it’s better for me to go with a single CPU with a fast bus, as opposed to getting a multi-cpu unit? Or are you simply saying to get the fastest bus available for either multi or single CPU (which I definitely agree with!)

For 2), are there any good Opteron workstation vendors out there that you’ve come across, or heard good things about?

For 4), thanks for the clarification. I’ll still go with 4Gb, due to multiple images open at once, other imaging applications (thinking about getting C1), along with a host of other apps. It’s good to know what PS can take advantage of.

Thanks again for your help. I do appreciate it.

Mike
CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2004
I’m saying that a faster bus is the better choice. It’s up to you whether you need dual CPUs or not.

2) I haven’t heard of any bad ones….
M
Maryo
May 16, 2004
Mike,

I work in a local computer store, I’ve built this system myself using the UK amazoninternational supermicro reseller as source for the ram+cpu’s+system board

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections