I
Posted By
imacken
May 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I created a monitor profile using Samsung’s Natural Color, saved it as ‘frank sams.icm’. It shows up in the color space options in PS CS as ‘Samsung Color Monitor’. Ok, so far so good.
I then created a printer profile using Natural Color, saved it as ‘frank 2100 sams.icm’. As far as I can tell, it does not show up in PS when I try to set it as the ‘Print space Profile’.
what am I doing wrong here?
Thanks
Iain

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

I
imacken
May 8, 2004
Sorry, should have said the monitor profile shows up as ‘Samsung ICM Profile’ in PS!
CC
Chris_Cox
May 10, 2004
profiles are listed by their description field, not their filename (because too many are 8.3 names).
I
imacken
May 11, 2004
Thanks Chris, I think we’re getting somewhere! The monitor profile I created has the description ‘Samsung ICM Profile’ and shows up as that in the PS list. The printer profile created by the same software, i.e. Natural Color, has no name in the description field! So, I guess that is the problem.
How can I change the description?
Thanks.
RW
Rene_Walling
May 11, 2004
Some utilities allow you to do this, but the profile creation tool you are using should also allow it. (I have never used Natural Color, but I find it hard to believe the option would not be there)
I
imacken
May 11, 2004
Rene, I don’t know if there is some confusion here, but the utility will allow me to change the file name of course, but it’s the description field in the file that shows up in PS’ list, and the printer profile unlike the monitor profile created by the same utility has nothing in the description field. It does not show up in the print space list in PS CS.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 11, 2004
Rene is talking about the internal profile description field, Imacken.

I, too, find it hard to believe that your profiling software will not allow you to specify a name for the description field.

I’ve seen utilities for the Mac that will edit that field, but I’m unaware of any for Windows. (I’ll bet there is one; I just don’t know of any.) If you’re adventurous, you could try poking around the innards of the icm file with a hex editor… but you didn’t hear that from me.

=-= Harron =-=
I
imacken
May 11, 2004
I tried using an editor, but the file is only 9 lines long and half of these are taken up by the copyright statement!
The utility only allows a file name change, nothing else – believe me!
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 11, 2004
After doing a little research on this "free" profiling utility included with some Samsung monitors, I believe you.

"…9 lines long and half of these are taken up by the copyright statement!" doesn’t really tell me much (file size would be somewhat more informative), but I must tell you that does not sound like a "serious" printer profile.

What printer are you using? You’d most likely be better off with the profiles supplied by the printer manufacturer or the printing medium manufacturer.

If you are serious about creating custom profiles for your printer/media combos, you should be prepared to spend some money on "real" profiling software — about as much as a new purchase of Photoshop, at least.

=-= Harron =-=
I
imacken
May 12, 2004
Thanks Harron. It’s a Epson 2100 which is (more or less) the same as the 2200 in the States. There are some profiles for the 2200 on the US Epson site, but I still can’t get over what a problem it is getting what I see on screen to match what prints on paper. It is very frustrating producing a perfect sky in PS only to find a red cast over it on paper!
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 12, 2004
Imacken,

Here’s a good resource for further study, courtesy of our illustrious host Ian Lyons:

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/home.htm>

Look under Feature Articles for topics related to color management and Photoshop printing.

=-= Harron =-=
I
imacken
May 13, 2004
Thanks again, Harron. I’ve actually referred to those articles on several occasions in the past, but still I have trouble with reds and blues particularly.
Oh well….

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections