M
Posted By
Melv
Feb 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK I have read numerous times about the pros about using Raw files but yet to see anything about once opened up in photoshop how to then edit the images. When I open a raw file I am faced with a multi colured histogram and some sliders but don’t have a clue where to start.
Melv

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

E
ernst
Feb 19, 2005
Try This site Melv.
http://www.russellbrown.com/
hope this helps. ernst.

"Melv" wrote in message
OK I have read numerous times about the pros about using Raw files but yet to see anything about once opened up in photoshop how to then edit the images. When I open a raw file I am faced with a multi colured histogram and
some sliders but don’t have a clue where to start.
Melv

E
ernst
Feb 19, 2005
Here is another tutorial melv.
http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/tips/phs7rbrawbasics/movie_ qt1.html ernst

"Melv" wrote in message
OK I have read numerous times about the pros about using Raw files but yet to see anything about once opened up in photoshop how to then edit the images. When I open a raw file I am faced with a multi colured histogram and
Melv

H
Hecate
Feb 20, 2005
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:30:30 GMT, "Melv"
wrote:

OK I have read numerous times about the pros about using Raw files but yet to see anything about once opened up in photoshop how to then edit the images. When I open a raw file I am faced with a multi colured histogram and some sliders but don’t have a clue where to start.
Melv
Start by reading the help files and the manual.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
M
Melv
Feb 20, 2005
Dont we just love a smart arse?
"Hecate" wrote in message
wrote:

OK I have read numerous times about the pros about using Raw files but
yet
to see anything about once opened up in photoshop how to then edit the images. When I open a raw file I am faced with a multi colured histogram
and
Melv

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
M
Melv
Feb 20, 2005
Thats great thanks!
"ernst" wrote in message
Here is another tutorial melv.
http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/tips/phs7rbrawbasics/movie_ qt1.html ernst

"Melv" wrote in message
yet
to see anything about once opened up in photoshop how to then edit the images. When I open a raw file I am faced with a multi colured histogram and
Melv

R
Ryadia
Feb 20, 2005
Melv wrote:

wrote:

yet

to see anything about once opened up in photoshop how to then edit the images. When I open a raw file I am faced with a multi colured histogram

and

Melv

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
Hey Melv…
The sliders and stuff you are confronted with are actually adjustments to the RAW data which the camera normally does on a "best guess" basis. Have a play around. When the preview image looks like what you want, complete the import and Photoshop editing space will open up to you.

That RAW converter is what all love to hate so much about Photoshop. The ability to tinker with the image ourselves instead of commit our faith to the designers of the cameras.

Personally I think it’s vastly over rated. I use a different RAW converter which makes allowances for the lens I use and fixes up the known problems with my overly expensive glass I never knew had distortions in it until I shell out for DxO! Take Hecate’s advise. She means well, poor old girl, just gets short when people ask first and read last. I always though the instructions were something you read when everything else failed… Until I got my new uthenasia (is that how it’s spelt?) kit!

Doug
M
Melv
Feb 20, 2005
OK good advice so how when I have finished editing it do I complete the import? So photoshop editing space opens up?
Melv
"Ryadia" wrote in message
Melv wrote:

wrote:

yet

to see anything about once opened up in photoshop how to then edit the images. When I open a raw file I am faced with a multi colured
histogram
and

Melv

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
Hey Melv…
The sliders and stuff you are confronted with are actually adjustments to the RAW data which the camera normally does on a "best guess" basis. Have a play around. When the preview image looks like what you want, complete the import and Photoshop editing space will open up to you.
That RAW converter is what all love to hate so much about Photoshop. The ability to tinker with the image ourselves instead of commit our faith to the designers of the cameras.

Personally I think it’s vastly over rated. I use a different RAW converter which makes allowances for the lens I use and fixes up the known problems with my overly expensive glass I never knew had distortions in it until I shell out for DxO! Take Hecate’s advise. She means well, poor old girl, just gets short when people ask first and read last. I always though the instructions were something you read when everything else failed… Until I got my new uthenasia (is that how it’s spelt?) kit!

Doug
H
Hecate
Feb 21, 2005
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:07:34 GMT, "Melv"
wrote:

If you had bothered to do as I suggested you would know what the controls do and could then ask specific questions. If you can’t be bothered to do the basics then I can’t be bothered to give you an answer.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections