F
Posted By
FotoSpark
May 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know what makes this error? I’m getting it in a few different instances. One being taking a patern and filling in a larger document, then saving as a jpeg. There’s no way around it. Even if you completely start over with a new document and re-fill it, the same error occurs. I also see this in some other occasions which I know have nothing to do with a "fill", but these are usually sent in from other people. The only way I can recreate it is with the "fill", but it doesn’t even happen all the time. I’ve also tried to remake the pattern entirely. Is there a way around this? Fill or no fill, just away around this error in general?

Here’s the whole error:
Could not open "c:\file" because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
May 5, 2004
that usually means a corrupt file. try opening it in a different application and resaving it (if there’s anything there to save). ps is pickier than most apps in finding this kind of stuff.
DC
Daniel_C_Lambert
May 6, 2004
I have this problem constantly with Photoshop 7.0, where it can’t read any JPEG that was CREATED in Photoshop 7.0! What the? It can’t read it’s own file? Yup.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 6, 2004
Daniel – Either you’ve installed a third party JPEG plugin (get rid of it), or the application has been damaged on disk (reinstall).

Also, do you have the 7.0.1 update installed?
DC
Daniel_C_Lambert
May 6, 2004
Thanks Chris. So far two of us using PS 7.0 can’t read our own JPEGs. I’m running 7.0.1 as is my partner. No 3rd party plugins either.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 6, 2004
Well, something is different about your setup from everyone else — and other than what I already suggested, I don’t know what it could be. And this is the first I recall seeing about 7.x not reading it’s own JPEG files.

Check the plugins again, and try disabling all third party plugins.

Try trashing preferences.

Try reinstalling.
DC
Daniel_C_Lambert
May 6, 2004
No time today to go there, but thanks for the feedback. Another co-worked just tried using 7.0.1 with the same results. Maybe the installations all picked up the same problem from the same disk.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 6, 2004
That’s possible, but normally the installer checks for corrupt files.
J
jonahgilmore
May 14, 2004
WTF!
I have a similar problem, have read other posts with similar problems, but NO-One seems to know what the problem is!
I am freaking out.
2 weeks ago I took some portraits. I uploaded them to my computer, everything fine, all viewable. I then saved the ones I wanted to keep in another folder as tiff’s.
today I went to open some of the tiff’s, majority work fine, however there were 8 that would not open, error said "can not open because file is not a TIFF file" B.S.!!
Fine, so I go back to my original jpg’s and try to open then, now the whole batch with the exception of just a couple give me the error "Invalid JPEG marker".
What is the deal? Does anyone know what the answer to this problem is?

I did just download some new brushes, is this related?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 14, 2004
Jon – the very FIRST response says what the problem is: file corruption.

And if you’re not getting "invalid JPEG marker", then how is it the same problem?

Either you put the wrong extension on the files, or the files are corrupt.

And it sounds like your JPEG have been corrupted.

So, you need to be checking your system and especially your hard disk for problems.
J
jonahgilmore
May 14, 2004
I havn’t touched the files, they are exactly as they were straight out of the camera, and I was able to view them 2 weeks ago.
I am getting "Invalid JPEG marker"
I know they are corrupt- but WHY?
Why would all of a sudden my JPEG’s be corrupt?

What should I be checking my system for? I have never had a similar problem.

Thanks
DC
Daniel_C_Lambert
May 14, 2004
This is not addressing the problem, Chris. We can’t all be corrupting our JPEGs or placing incorrect extensions (?) on our files.

It’s becoming clearer every day that there is a problem here that needs to be addressed, so we hope you will pass this issue along to the rest of your staff to take a closer look at. I know we’ve never had this problem until we installed 7.0.

Thanks.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 14, 2004
Jon – because something is wrong with your system, or your hard drive.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 14, 2004
Daniel – no, it is addressing the problem, because it answers the question. What I can’t answer is what is wrong with each persons individual system.

Yes, the very few people that are seeing corruption can have corruption to your files.

It is clear to everyone else that there is a problem: on the systems of the few people having file corruption problems.

We’ve looked for such problems, and haven’t found anything except on systems with demonstrably bad drivers, bad RAM, or a bad IDE cable.

Yes, people had similar problems (and similar numbers of incidents) in Photoshop 7.0, 6.0, 5.5, 5.0, 4.0, 3.0, 2.5, 2.0, and 1.0.

Files can be corrupted for many different reasons – and those reasons are relatively constant regardless of the software involved.
DC
Daniel_C_Lambert
May 14, 2004
LOL, Chris. You must have worked for Compaq in a previous life.
J
jonahgilmore
May 15, 2004
I noticed that in the past, whenever I loaded Photoshop, another utility always seemed to load with it… I’m running 98se, so when I hit ctrl-alt-del. this utility shows up as Twunk-"something", 16 I think. Now- since I have been having the corruption issues, I notice that utility does not seem to be running.
Anyone familiar with this Twunk_ thing? Is that a possible problem, that because its not running its not reading all jpg’s & tiff’s?
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 15, 2004
Twunk_16, Twunk_32, and similar are all related to TWAIN – importing image from scanner usually. Some digicams use TWAIN interface also.

Shouldn’t have anything to do with your prob.

Mac
L
lly
Jun 9, 2004
I can confirm same problem with some my images. If I’m save image as TIFF or PSD – all o’kay, in case of JPEG – saved image cannot be reopened with "Unknown or invalid JPEG marker" message.
Simple workaround for me is to switch "Image previews" to "Never save" in Preferences->File Handling dialog. I suppose, that problem resides in Photoshop 7 internals.
DL
Dan_Lambert
Jun 9, 2004
Thanks for the post, IIy. I’ll give your workaround a try and post back with results.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 9, 2004
try reinstalling ps, maybe the jpg code is hosed.
DL
Dan_Lambert
Jun 9, 2004
There are several folks in my office who are experiencing the same issue just with PS 7, as well as all the folks who posted here.
L
lly
Jun 24, 2004
I’ll investigate this problem a little bit more. If I replace MMXCore plugin MMXCore.8BX version 7.0.1 (size:163840 date:2002-07-17)
with older one
MMXCore.8BX version 7.0.0 (size:159744 date:2002-04-04)
problem disappear.
Newer plugin installed with PS 7.0.1 update, older taken from original 7.0 distribution. Tested on two workstations: one – P4 2.6G, 512M ram, Win2000 sp3; second – P3 1.1G, 512M ram, Win2000 sp3.
DL
Dan_Lambert
Jun 24, 2004
Interesting, IIy (or is it Ily?). I will take a look at that too. Thanks for your efforts!
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 24, 2004
That’s odd, since the 7.0.1 version was just fixing bugs in the original version.

Try running without any extensions and see what happens.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections