Posted By
April_Lougheed
May 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi.

I recently figured out that I could open a PDF file in Photoshop CS and get the images in the PDF file "out" in 300 DPI.

I can’t remember being able to do this before and my client is quizzing me on it.

I get these PDF files from the client’s printer.

Questions:
1. Is this a new feature?
2. Wouldn’t the PDF file have to be ‘NON-CONDENSED’ or ‘NON-OPTIMIZED" in order for the images to be 300 DPI?
3. How can a "condensed" PDF file still have 300 DPI images??

Thanks for your help on this weird question.

April Lougheed

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LenHewitt
May 4, 2004
April,

When a PDf is distilled from a PostScript File you have the choice to downsample image resolution or not, and to choose a compression method. PDF’s are regularly used for professional printing, and one would expect the image resolution to be in the 300ppi region in such files.

When you save as PDF from Photoshop, the current image resolution is maintained.

It has always been this way.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections