Replies
Status
Closed
A standard Photoshop CS install takes over 350MB:

\Program Files\Adobe 265MB
\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe 85MB
\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data 2.5MB

etc.

Are there ways to reduce this inital disk space requirement?
E.g. very few of my clients use or want ImageReady, is there
an option to not install it along with PS? What else beside the sample images can be deleted after installation without impacting CS’s functionality?

Thanks,
Rick

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
JJS
Dec 9, 2003
"Rick" wrote in message

etc.

Today 350mb is nothing! Heck, my mean image file is about that size. May I ask what kind of envirnoment they have that can’t abide by a mere 1/3gb of fixed drive space?
EG
Eric Gill
Dec 9, 2003
"Rick" wrote in berlin.de:

etc.

250GB Hard drive = $129 USD.

Why waste the time?
R
Rick
Dec 9, 2003
"Eric Gill" wrote in message
"Rick" wrote in berlin.de:

etc.

Why waste the time?

I agree, but that’s not always possible for a variety of reasons.

Would appreciate info from anyone on my original questions.

Thanks,
Rick
B
Brian
Dec 9, 2003
E.g. very few of my clients use or want ImageReady, is there
an option to not install it along with PS?

No there’s not – Chris Cox @ Adobe says that providing this option would be impossible due to the complexity of the installer, to which I say bullshit.
N
nospam
Dec 10, 2003
In article <br5ai6$2940tn$>, "Rick"
wrote:

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
"Rick" wrote in

Why waste the time?

I agree, but that’s not always possible for a variety of reasons.
Would appreciate info from anyone on my original questions.

Spell it out – Why can’t your ‘clients’ suffer 350mb of storage? Look, anyone who can’t abide by that much space for a critical program is unlikely to have a recent system and is also incapapable of using CS in a serious way. What’s the real agenda, here? Piracy?
R
Rick
Dec 10, 2003
"Brian" wrote in message
E.g. very few of my clients use or want ImageReady, is there an option to not install it along with PS?

No there’s not – Chris Cox @ Adobe says that providing this option would be impossible due to the complexity of the installer, to which I say bullshit.

Probably. Impossible is an often-overused expression :-)..

It would be interesting to survey PS users, to see how many use ImageReady and how many never touch it.

Rick
R
RTM
Dec 10, 2003
I don’t use it. I have no use for it whatsoever. Loaded it once to see what it was and haven’t touched it since.
I’m running PS5.5 and I just deleted the Imageready folder. As long as you don’t click the "Jump To" button it shouldn’t be a problem but even so I deleted the path in the ini file too.
Did that quite a long time ago now and had no problems because of it. Your activated mileage may vary.

Ron.

Rick wrote in message
It would be interesting to survey PS users, to see how many use ImageReady and how many never touch it.

Rick

R
Rick
Dec 10, 2003
"RTM" wrote in message
I don’t use it. I have no use for it whatsoever. Loaded it once to see what it was and haven’t touched it since.

That mirrors the experience of most of my clients.

I’m running PS5.5 and I just deleted the Imageready folder. As long as you don’t click the "Jump To" button it shouldn’t be a problem but even so I deleted the path in the ini file too.
Did that quite a long time ago now and had no problems because of it. Your activated mileage may vary.

Didn’t PS5’s installation have an option to not include ImageReady? I seem to remember that but I could be mistaken.

Rick

Rick wrote in message
N
nospam
Dec 10, 2003
In article <vAxBb.6078$>, "Rick"
wrote:

I don’t have CS, so I use Imageready for certain things because it is just plain faster, easier and better at them – for example, slicing on guidelines and saving as such and Imageready’s droplets work better.
N
nospam
Dec 10, 2003
In article <br6ptj$70o$>, "RTM"
wrote:

I’m running PS5.5 and I just deleted the Imageready folder. As long as you don’t click the "Jump To" button it shouldn’t be a problem

You can remove the option from the appropriate PS directory folder.
N
nospam
Dec 10, 2003
In article <br6qst$28av1a$>, "Rick"
wrote:

"RTM" wrote in

I have a feeling most of your ‘clients’ aren’t very sophisticated. So fess up, what kind of constituency do you have that can’t tolerate a 350mb installation when that’s the size of the many of the image files of the heavy-duty PS user? Rationalize that.
R
RTM
Dec 10, 2003
jjs wrote in message
In article <br6ptj$70o$>, "RTM"
wrote:

I don’t use it. I have no use for it whatsoever. Loaded it once to see
what
it was and haven’t touched it since.
I’m running PS5.5 and I just deleted the Imageready folder. As long as you don’t click the "Jump To" button it shouldn’t be a
problem
You can remove the option from the appropriate PS directory folder.

Maybe thats what I did.
To be honest it was so long ago (3-4 years or so) the actual details are a little vague. I know I deleted the IR folder, and I know I deleted something that stopped the "Jump To" button from looking for IR, but can’t remember exactly what.

Ron.
B
Brian
Dec 10, 2003
Rick wrote:

Didn’t PS5’s installation have an option to not include ImageReady?

PS 5.5 did, as did 6 and 7 too. CS is the first version where you are not given the option (hell, ANY options) during installation.
R
RTM
Dec 10, 2003
Yes, but to tell the truth I plain and simply couldn’t be bothered to go through a fresh reinstall just because of IR. On top of which, by then I’d set the program up the way I wanted it, installed several plug-ins and set up a few actions and I just didn’t want to have to do it all over again. It was a new upgrade and I just wanted to get on and use it. Anyway, its still working today and I haven’t re-installed since. Compared to others who are working with newer versions and seem to be re-installing every 5 minutes, I don’t seem to be doing too bad. However, as I said, your results may differ due to CS being activated. It *may* decide the product has been tampered with and refuse to run. —

Ron.

Rick wrote in message
Didn’t PS5’s installation have an option to not include ImageReady? I seem to remember that but I could be mistaken.

Rick
IF
Ian Firth
Dec 11, 2003
In article <br6qst$28av1a$
says…

What kind of job do you have where many clients require you to install high end software for them like Photoshop ?

Regards,
Ian Firth
R
Rick
Dec 11, 2003
"Ian Firth" wrote in message
says…

What kind of job do you have where many clients require you to install high end software for them like Photoshop ?

I’m a systems integrator, although I spend as much time doing software/hardware upgrades as new system installs or
integration.

As for Photoshop being high-end, that’s a relative term. In most large companies it’s simply one piece in a larger puzzle. It’s all about integrated content management these days… Quicksilver/Interleaf, etc.

I know 350MB doesn’t seem like much to the average home
or even pro PS user, but many people I run into have literally a dozen or more major apps on a single workstation, and
disk space is often an issue. I wish Adobe would have kept the option to not install ImageReady in CS’s setup.

Rick
N
nospam
Dec 11, 2003
In article <br9cug$p3eu$>, "Rick"
wrote:

or even pro PS user, but many people I run into have literally a dozen or more major apps on a single workstation, and
disk space is often an issue. I wish Adobe would have kept the option to not install ImageReady in CS’s setup.

Your clients must also be innumerate and real lightweights, or your real issue to pick on something you think is an oversight by Adobe, and you chose the installation of Imageready. Do you also advise your ‘clients’ not to use Photoshop with large images in order to save space?

(Folks, I think this Rick person is more likely a K12 computer lab tech.)
R
Rick
Dec 11, 2003
"jjs" wrote in message
In article <br9cug$p3eu$>, "Rick"
wrote:

Your clients must also be innumerate and real lightweights, or your real issue to pick on something you think is an oversight by Adobe, and you chose the installation of Imageready. Do you also advise your ‘clients’ not to use Photoshop with large images in order to save space?

No. In a proper setup apps are installed on their own volume(s), for ease of administration, and have absolutely nothing to do with data volumes. But then you already knew that.

(Folks, I think this Rick person is more likely a K12 computer lab tech.)

Who are you mad at? What a moron.

Rick
S
Stuart
Dec 11, 2003
Rick wrote:

"Ian Firth" wrote in message
says…

I’m a systems integrator, although I spend as much time doing software/hardware upgrades as new system installs or
integration.

As for Photoshop being high-end, that’s a relative term. In most large companies it’s simply one piece in a larger puzzle. It’s all about integrated content management these days… Quicksilver/Interleaf, etc.

Rick

Sounds like you are Windows based, have you checked the add/remove programs list? Is ImageReady there as a separate program or not?

Stuart
J
JJS
Dec 11, 2003
"Rick" wrote in message
"jjs" wrote in message

No. In a proper setup apps are installed on their own volume(s), for ease of administration, and have absolutely nothing to do with data volumes. But then you already knew that.

So your people have a separate spindle for applications? I doubt it. If they had that kind of sophisticated system, then 350mb would not be an issue.
R
Rick
Dec 11, 2003
"Stuart" wrote in message
Sounds like you are Windows based, have you checked the add/remove programs list? Is ImageReady there as a separate program or not?

No. There’s a single entry, it’s for Photoshop CS as a package.

Rick
R
Roberto
Dec 11, 2003
It has been said that the option to leave Image Ready out was removed in CS because it is more tightly integrated with Photoshop and that they share more files and things.

Jerry

"Brian" wrote in message
Rick wrote:

Didn’t PS5’s installation have an option to not include ImageReady?

PS 5.5 did, as did 6 and 7 too. CS is the first version where you are not given the option (hell, ANY options) during installation.
J
JJS
Dec 11, 2003
"nospam" wrote in message
It has been said that the option to leave Image Ready out was removed in
CS
because it is more tightly integrated with Photoshop and that they share more files and things.

When, where and who said that?

(I just hate "It has been said that…")
R
Roberto
Dec 13, 2003
If memory serves it was Chris Cox on the Adobe Forums about the time CS shipped. There were a lot of complaints about no option to leave IR out and that is what he said.

Jerry

"jjs" wrote in message
"nospam" wrote in message
It has been said that the option to leave Image Ready out was removed in
CS
because it is more tightly integrated with Photoshop and that they share more files and things.

When, where and who said that?

(I just hate "It has been said that…")

VM
Van Messner
Dec 15, 2003
The reason some of the posters can’t understand the space problem is cause they work in small shops, and have no experience with large corporations where 10000 workstations were installed with 10G hard drives.

"Rick" wrote in message
"Stuart" wrote in message

No. There’s a single entry, it’s for Photoshop CS as a package.
Rick

J
john
Dec 15, 2003
In article , "Van Messner"
wrote:

The reason some of the posters can’t understand the space problem is cause they work in small shops, and have no experience with large corporations where 10000 workstations were installed with 10G hard drives.

Yep. We are lucky enough not to work for a fool company that can’t suffer an application as large as the files it must process. Idiots.
B
bhilton665
Dec 15, 2003

Usually in a situation like this the software is on a server and distributed over a network instead of having 10,000 copies of it, one on each workstation.
R
Rick
Dec 15, 2003
"Bill Hilton" wrote in message

Yes, or posters (jjs) who don’t know the difference between application and data drives.

Usually in a situation like this the software is on a server and distributed over a network instead of having 10,000 copies of it, one on each workstation.

Not so with many apps, including PS and most other Adobe products.

Rick
J
john
Dec 15, 2003
In article <brj7t9$3tu83$>, "Rick"
wrote:

Yes, or posters (jjs) who don’t know the difference between application and data drives.

Now why don’t you tell us what you think you mean by that? Look, you do not have to install PS on your boot or C drive, so there is no friggin such thing as a "data drive" per se. FWIW, I run four spindles (drives to you) on my desktop system, and have run bigger, networked and clustered corporate iron with more devices than you have probably ever seen in your young or stupid life. And if you have no room on your toy drive, then maybe you should consider running from a key server. Would serve your ‘client’ right. Frankly, I don’t think you even have a client. Fukwit.
R
Rick
Dec 15, 2003
"jjs" wrote in message
In article <brj7t9$3tu83$>, "Rick"
wrote:

Now why don’t you tell us what you think you mean by that? Look, you do not have to install PS on your boot or C drive, so there is no friggin such thing as a "data drive" per se.

Brilliant.

*plonk*

Rick
VM
Van Messner
Dec 15, 2003
Situations vary but the "usual" situation is the corporation buys a large group of workstations with small hard drives at a very good price. Corporate pushes a basic software load onto each workstation. Other software is on a central server and available for download by individuals onto their own workstations. IF they have enough hard disk space to get everything they want.
I know you’re not suggesting that in large coporations individuals run PS across the network on a central server 😉

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message

The reason some of the posters can’t understand the space problem is
cause
they work in small shops, and have no experience with large corporations where 10000 workstations were installed with 10G hard drives.

Usually in a situation like this the software is on a server and
distributed
over a network instead of having 10,000 copies of it, one on each
workstation.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections