KF
Posted By
Kenny Frank
Jun 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a picture that is 700 pixels wide by 150 pixels high. I’d like the bottom 20-30 pixels to fade out to the background all the way across the image.

How do I make this effect happen?

Thanks,

-Kenny

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Bobocito
Jun 27, 2003
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:45:24 GMT, "Kenny Frank" wrote:

I have a picture that is 700 pixels wide by 150 pixels high. I’d like the bottom 20-30 pixels to fade out to the background all the way across the image.

Thanks,

-Kenny
When you ask questions, it is best to include some detail as to the format of the image, and its intended use.
If you want this for the web, you will get best results by making a background color matching your web page background, fading to that, and saving for web as a jpg or gif. I suggest you avoid transparent gifs for this sort of thing, but it may be necessary if your web background is a pattern or image, rather than a solid color. The fade you want can be done by choosing the picture layer (if it is called "background", then it must first be changed to a named layer by double clicking on background in the layers pallette), then clicking on the layer mask button at the bottom of the layers pallette. Then use the gradient tool to run a white to black linear gradient, starting at 30px from the bottom edge, and running to the bottom edge. Redraw the gradient as necessary to get the effect you want, starting or stopping at different positions on the image.
This will fade to whatever is under the pic layer.
KF
Kenny Frank
Jun 27, 2003
That worked great! Thanks for the tip.

-Kenny

"Bobocito" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:45:24 GMT, "Kenny Frank" wrote:

I have a picture that is 700 pixels wide by 150 pixels high. I’d like
the
bottom 20-30 pixels to fade out to the background all the way across the image.

Thanks,

-Kenny
When you ask questions, it is best to include some detail as to the format of the image, and its intended use.
If you want this for the web, you will get best results by making a background color matching your web page background, fading to that, and saving for web as a jpg or gif. I suggest you avoid transparent gifs for this sort of thing, but it may be necessary if your web background is a pattern or image, rather than a solid color. The fade you want can be done by choosing the picture layer (if it is called "background", then it must first be changed to a named layer by double clicking on background in the layers pallette), then clicking on the layer mask button at the bottom of the layers pallette. Then use the gradient tool to run a white to black linear gradient, starting at 30px from the bottom edge, and running to the bottom edge. Redraw the gradient as necessary to get the effect you want, starting or stopping at different positions on the image.
This will fade to whatever is under the pic layer.
V
vizrosplugins
Jun 27, 2003
Have a look at http://www.vizros.com/fade/fade.html. The plug-ins is free if you send me an email. You can select any shape and fade from there.

Tony G. Smith
Vizros – Realistic 3D page curl plug-ins and more
Demo at http://www.vizros.com/gallery.html

"Kenny Frank" …

Thanks,

-Kenny

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections