DH
Posted By
Dennis Hughes
Jan 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using CS and have an aerial picture of our neighborhood and want to add a red ring around our home.

The only way I could figure out how to do it was to add an empty layer, use the marquee tool to make a circular selection, fill it with red, then modify/contract the selection size by 10 pixels and then delete the red inside the smaller circlular selection, leaving the ring.

There must be an easier way, but I can’t think of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dennis

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Bob Hatch
Jan 25, 2005
"Dennis Hughes" wrote in message
I’m using CS and have an aerial picture of our neighborhood and want to add a red ring around our home.

The only way I could figure out how to do it was to add an empty layer, use the marquee tool to make a circular selection, fill it with red, then modify/contract the selection size by 10 pixels and then delete the red inside the smaller circlular selection, leaving the ring.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dennis

Make the circle with the marquee tool. Then Edit>Stroke. Select the color and pixel width. I use the Center selection. The click OK. Done. —
"No man can climb out beyond the limitations
of his own character." Viscount John Morley
http://www.bobhatch.com
C
Corey
Jan 25, 2005
Something you may want to do instead is make a circle around your house with the Elliptical Marquee Tool and then Select > Inverse and reduce the Levels or Brightness, making everything outside the circle a little bit darker.

However, if you really really want a red circle, just make a circular selection with the Elliptical Marquee Tool and fill it with any color. In the layers palette, set the fill to zero (just below opacity) and then double click on the layer and add a stroke. The default color is red!

Peadge 🙂

I’m using CS and have an aerial picture of our neighborhood and want to
add
a red ring around our home.

The only way I could figure out how to do it was to add an empty layer,
use
the marquee tool to make a circular selection, fill it with red, then modify/contract the selection size by 10 pixels and then delete the red inside the smaller circlular selection, leaving the ring.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dennis

DH
Dennis Hughes
Jan 25, 2005
Bob,

That is what I’ve been trying with no success on a transparent top layer.

I tried it again after reading your post and this time unchecked the preserve transparency and it worked just fine.

Thanks,

Dennis

"Bob Hatch" wrote in message

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dennis

Make the circle with the marquee tool. Then Edit>Stroke. Select the color and pixel width. I use the Center selection. The click OK. Done. —
"No man can climb out beyond the limitations
of his own character." Viscount John Morley
http://www.bobhatch.com
DH
Dennis Hughes
Jan 25, 2005
Peadge,

Learned some new tricks here. Your solution also works great. Now I will figure out what was happening behind the keyboard so I will understand why this works.

Thanks,

Dennis

"Peadge" wrote in message
Something you may want to do instead is make a circle around your house with the Elliptical Marquee Tool and then Select > Inverse and reduce the Levels or Brightness, making everything outside the circle a little bit darker.

However, if you really really want a red circle, just make a circular selection with the Elliptical Marquee Tool and fill it with any color. In the layers palette, set the fill to zero (just below opacity) and then double click on the layer and add a stroke. The default color is red!
Peadge 🙂

I’m using CS and have an aerial picture of our neighborhood and want to
add
a red ring around our home.

The only way I could figure out how to do it was to add an empty layer,
use
the marquee tool to make a circular selection, fill it with red, then modify/contract the selection size by 10 pixels and then delete the red inside the smaller circlular selection, leaving the ring.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dennis

D
dthomps
Jan 25, 2005
Another thing to look into is that Photoshop (6 and later, I believe, so your CS should work just fine) has a vector shape tool with a whole slew of custom shapes. Among these shapes are several thicknesses of rings, so you could try one of those.

Also, you can use the vector shape tool to draw a filled circle, then add a Stroke effect to the vector shape via the Layers palette’s Effects options. At the same time, you can change the Fill % of the circle layer to 0%, thus leaving only the effect visible.

That’s the best thing about Photoshop. There’s a half dozen (or more, in some cases) ways to accomplish similar things, with varying levels of difficulty, quality, etc.

Good luck!

Douglas E. Thompson

Dennis Hughes wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dennis

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections