L
Posted By
Lunaray
Jan 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some 35mm slide-scans that are very sharp and well exposed, and they look pretty good except that the grain of the film is very apparent! What is the best way to smooth out the image without sacrificing too much image sharpness?

Thanks!

Ray
www.rayspace.com/gallery.html
——————————————-
"I’d rather wake up in the middle of nowhere,
than in any city on earth" – Steve McQueen

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
noone
Jan 21, 2005
In article , says…
I have some 35mm slide-scans that are very sharp and well exposed, and they look pretty good except that the grain of the film is very apparent! What is the best way to smooth out the image without sacrificing too much image sharpness?

Thanks!

Ray

I’ve had excellent results with NeatImage, and others seem to have had the same with Noise Ninja. You might want to try the demo of one of those and determine if the results fit your needs, then purchase whichever does the best for you. There might be other great "noise reduction" programs out there, but I have not heard their praises sung arond these parts.

Hunt
S
Stephan
Jan 21, 2005
Lunaray wrote:

Thanks!

First of all print an sample: Very apparent grain in your image opened on your monitor may look perfectly fine on your print.
Remember? We used to print straight from these negatives. 😉 Otherwise GrainSurgery is a neat plugin.

Stephan
L
Lunaray
Jan 21, 2005
Thanks Stephan, yeah I’ve noticed that (prints don’t show the grain like my monitor does), I’ll look for the plug-in you suggested!
H
Hecate
Jan 22, 2005
On 21 Jan 2005 16:22:42 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

In article , says…

Thanks!

Ray

I’ve had excellent results with NeatImage, and others seem to have had the same with Noise Ninja. You might want to try the demo of one of those and determine if the results fit your needs, then purchase whichever does the best for you. There might be other great "noise reduction" programs out there, but I have not heard their praises sung arond these parts.
The best results I’ve seen are with Grain Dissolver, but you need a Minolta 5400 scanner with the included software 😉

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
J
Jan
Jan 30, 2005
Lunaray wrote:

Thanks!

Try filters/noise/median set to 1 or 2. Maybe then a bit if edge sharpening.

Jan

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections