reducing noise and sharpening by painting??

LS
Posted By
Larry Samwells
Jan 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m kind of in a bind. I am by no means an expert when it comes to PS CS, but here’s what I need to do:

The picture I have is of a landscape (basically trees, water and sky), but it has two shortcomings: excessive noise and lack of sharpness. For the noise, I have tried the various blurs of CS as well as turned to programs like Neat Image, etc, but the noise is enough that if removed to make the picture look good, I am left with an "oil painting" type result. The noise already present means that I can’t really sharpen the picture without more noise as a result. Recently, I came across some information suggesting that I could carefully repaint the picture and because of the repainting process, the noise would be reduced. I have been attempting this for a week now using the various brushes and settings, but the transition between fine details is too sharp and the paint itself leaves the impression of a bit of oil painting. I think this method shows a lot of potential though and, even though it looks like it’s going to take a lot of time, I *think* if I can learn a better technique, the end result might be astonishing. I’d just like to mention that I have tried blurring the edges of freshly painted areas as well as applying the paint in very small opacity in many layers. There’s still too much smoothness and the especially the edges are too sharp. I want the repainting to be subtle, like as if the original picture was taken under perfect conditions. Am I asking too much, or is it possible and where can I find tips on this technique and a better method than the one I have been using?

Thank you in advance for any responses,
Larry Samwells

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Broga
Jan 18, 2005
Could you post a copy of the photo on the web somewhere? The last time somebody posted a similar message a few people regarded it as a challenge and had a go at it

www.micromountain.com

"Larry Samwells" wrote in message
I’m kind of in a bind. I am by no means an expert when it comes to PS CS, but here’s what I need to do:

The picture I have is of a landscape (basically trees, water and sky), but it has two shortcomings: excessive noise and lack of sharpness. For the noise, I have tried the various blurs of CS as well as turned to programs like Neat Image, etc, but the noise is enough that if removed to make the picture look good, I am left with an "oil painting" type result. The noise
already present means that I can’t really sharpen the picture without more noise as a result. Recently, I came across some information suggesting that
I could carefully repaint the picture and because of the repainting process,
the noise would be reduced. I have been attempting this for a week now using the various brushes and settings, but the transition between fine details is too sharp and the paint itself leaves the impression of a bit of
oil painting. I think this method shows a lot of potential though and, even
though it looks like it’s going to take a lot of time, I *think* if I can learn a better technique, the end result might be astonishing. I’d just like to mention that I have tried blurring the edges of freshly painted areas as well as applying the paint in very small opacity in many layers. There’s still too much smoothness and the especially the edges are too sharp. I want the repainting to be subtle, like as if the original picture
was taken under perfect conditions. Am I asking too much, or is it possible
and where can I find tips on this technique and a better method than the one
I have been using?

Larry Samwells

C
Clyde
Jan 18, 2005
Larry Samwells wrote:

The picture I have is of a landscape (basically trees, water and sky), but it has two shortcomings: excessive noise and lack of sharpness. For the noise, I have tried the various blurs of CS as well as turned to programs like Neat Image, etc, but the noise is enough that if removed to make the picture look good, I am left with an "oil painting" type result. The noise already present means that I can’t really sharpen the picture without more noise as a result. Recently, I came across some information suggesting that I could carefully repaint the picture and because of the repainting process, the noise would be reduced. I have been attempting this for a week now using the various brushes and settings, but the transition between fine details is too sharp and the paint itself leaves the impression of a bit of oil painting. I think this method shows a lot of potential though and, even though it looks like it’s going to take a lot of time, I *think* if I can learn a better technique, the end result might be astonishing. I’d just like to mention that I have tried blurring the edges of freshly painted areas as well as applying the paint in very small opacity in many layers. There’s still too much smoothness and the especially the edges are too sharp. I want the repainting to be subtle, like as if the original picture was taken under perfect conditions. Am I asking too much, or is it possible and where can I find tips on this technique and a better method than the one I have been using?

Larry Samwells

Ah, starting from a bad picture and trying to make it good. That’s always a tough one.

I think about the only thing you can do is play around in Neat Image some more. I don’t have that, but I’m sure my Noise Ninja works much the same. For those really noisy picture that I get (I have one camera that is very bad at high ISOs), you may only want to get rid of some of the noise. I get NN to find the noise and then I adjust the sliders to get rid of a much as possible WITHOUT getting that painterly effect. Usually that doesn’t get rid of all the noise.

Then again, the human eye can usually handle some noise. I think back to all that Ilford Delta 3200 film that I shot in the past. It sure was grainy, but we lived with it. So, your picture is likely to be more usable with some noise than it would be looking like an oil painting.

Of course, you could really make it look like a painting and go with the flow. Dig out your Corel Painter and have fun. There are ways in PS too.

Clyde
LS
Larry Samwells
Jan 18, 2005
"broga" wrote in message
Could you post a copy of the photo on the web somewhere? The last time somebody posted a similar message a few people regarded it
as
a challenge and had a go at it

Unfortunately, I can’t post the photo but I appreciate your offer :).

Larry

www.micromountain.com

"Larry Samwells" wrote in message
I’m kind of in a bind. I am by no means an expert when it comes to PS
CS,
but here’s what I need to do:

The picture I have is of a landscape (basically trees, water and sky),
but
it has two shortcomings: excessive noise and lack of sharpness. For the noise, I have tried the various blurs of CS as well as turned to
programs
like Neat Image, etc, but the noise is enough that if removed to make
the
picture look good, I am left with an "oil painting" type result. The noise
already present means that I can’t really sharpen the picture without
more
noise as a result. Recently, I came across some information suggesting that
I could carefully repaint the picture and because of the repainting process,
the noise would be reduced. I have been attempting this for a week now using the various brushes and settings, but the transition between fine details is too sharp and the paint itself leaves the impression of a bit of
oil painting. I think this method shows a lot of potential though and, even
though it looks like it’s going to take a lot of time, I *think* if I
can
learn a better technique, the end result might be astonishing. I’d just like to mention that I have tried blurring the edges of freshly painted areas as well as applying the paint in very small opacity in many
layers.
There’s still too much smoothness and the especially the edges are too sharp. I want the repainting to be subtle, like as if the original picture
was taken under perfect conditions. Am I asking too much, or is it possible
and where can I find tips on this technique and a better method than the one
I have been using?

Larry Samwells

LS
Larry Samwells
Jan 18, 2005
"Clyde" wrote in message
Larry Samwells wrote:
I’m kind of in a bind. I am by no means an expert when it comes to PS
CS,
but here’s what I need to do:

The picture I have is of a landscape (basically trees, water and sky),
but
it has two shortcomings: excessive noise and lack of sharpness. For the noise, I have tried the various blurs of CS as well as turned to
programs
like Neat Image, etc, but the noise is enough that if removed to make
the
picture look good, I am left with an "oil painting" type result. The
noise
already present means that I can’t really sharpen the picture without
more
noise as a result. Recently, I came across some information suggesting
that
I could carefully repaint the picture and because of the repainting
process,
the noise would be reduced. I have been attempting this for a week now using the various brushes and settings, but the transition between fine details is too sharp and the paint itself leaves the impression of a bit
of
oil painting. I think this method shows a lot of potential though and,
even
though it looks like it’s going to take a lot of time, I *think* if I
can
learn a better technique, the end result might be astonishing. I’d just like to mention that I have tried blurring the edges of freshly painted areas as well as applying the paint in very small opacity in many
layers.
There’s still too much smoothness and the especially the edges are too sharp. I want the repainting to be subtle, like as if the original
picture
was taken under perfect conditions. Am I asking too much, or is it
possible
and where can I find tips on this technique and a better method than the
one
I have been using?

Larry Samwells

Ah, starting from a bad picture and trying to make it good. That’s always a tough one.

I think about the only thing you can do is play around in Neat Image some more. I don’t have that, but I’m sure my Noise Ninja works much the same. For those really noisy picture that I get (I have one camera that is very bad at high ISOs), you may only want to get rid of some of the noise. I get NN to find the noise and then I adjust the sliders to get rid of a much as possible WITHOUT getting that painterly effect. Usually that doesn’t get rid of all the noise.

I have both NN and Neat Image as well. Both offer the ability to create a noise sample for the camera used utilizing a checkerboard color pattern with the camera at the same exposure settings as when I took the pic. I haven’t done this, but it would require quite a bit of effort as the images are already "stacked" to help reduce the noise already there. I suppose I could take 15 or so images to be used as noise prints for NN or Neat Image. But my big question is: is a custom noise print created this way worth the effort? Would it in fact filter better than just using a sample from the same image like I’m doing now? If it is worth the effort and would really help reduce the noise without creating artifacts, I’m willing to try but only as a last resort because it will be difficult to recreate the same exposure settings in the camera.

Larry

Then again, the human eye can usually handle some noise. I think back to all that Ilford Delta 3200 film that I shot in the past. It sure was grainy, but we lived with it. So, your picture is likely to be more usable with some noise than it would be looking like an oil painting.
Of course, you could really make it look like a painting and go with the flow. Dig out your Corel Painter and have fun. There are ways in PS too.
Clyde
VM
Vladimir Misev
Jan 18, 2005
Larry Samwells wrote:

Larry Samwells

larry, very good tool for reducing a noise is a kodak digital gem plugin for PS, but is expensive. Another (even more expensive 🙁 ), is LaserSoft SilverFast DCPro Studio / GANE filter (DCPro is really amazing sw). however, what you can do for free is to try next: in photoshop, use noise/despeckle, and then edit/fade despeckle. hope this will help.

regards,

vladimir
B
birdman
Jan 18, 2005
Assuming a final print on paper is your goal I would have to ask if you have done this so far? Often sharpness and noise issues seen on the monitor when you are concentrating on enlarged details are really not so problematic in the final print.
J
JeanK524
Jan 19, 2005
Vladimir Misev wrote:
Larry Samwells wrote:

Larry Samwells

larry, very good tool for reducing a noise is a kodak digital gem plugin for PS, but is expensive. Another (even more expensive 🙁 ), is LaserSoft SilverFast DCPro Studio / GANE filter (DCPro is really amazing sw). however, what you can do for free is to try next: in photoshop, use noise/despeckle, and then edit/fade despeckle. hope this will help.

regards,

vladimir

Products like Neat Image and Noise Ninja are less than $100, and do a reasonable good job. Do the Kodak and Silverfast products do a better job? How much more expensive are they?
C
Clyde
Jan 19, 2005
Larry Samwells wrote:

I have both NN and Neat Image as well. Both offer the ability to create a noise sample for the camera used utilizing a checkerboard color pattern with the camera at the same exposure settings as when I took the pic. I haven’t done this, but it would require quite a bit of effort as the images are already "stacked" to help reduce the noise already there. I suppose I could take 15 or so images to be used as noise prints for NN or Neat Image. But my big question is: is a custom noise print created this way worth the effort? Would it in fact filter better than just using a sample from the same image like I’m doing now? If it is worth the effort and would really help reduce the noise without creating artifacts, I’m willing to try but only as a last resort because it will be difficult to recreate the same exposure settings in the camera.

Larry

I have calibrated all my digital cameras in Noise Ninja and made profiles for them. That really helps for batch processing and speeds things up tremendously. It also works very well.

However, you can get the software to calculate it for each picture. In NN just click on "Full Auto Profile". It will find the noise in that particular image. That is in the Noise Profiler section. Then you go over to Noise Filter tab. That’s when you adjust the sliders to reach that compromise between cutting the noise and making the picture look real. Actually the Help files in NN are pretty good at explaining all this.

Naturally I do this on old scanned in slides and other pictures that I can’t calibrate a standard. It does work pretty well, if not particularly fast.

Clyde

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections