Posted By
Ulli.usenet
Mar 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,
I’ve been looking for a realistic crayon brush for some time now, without success so far. If possible, it should also be pressure sensitive (Wacom Intuos).

The closest I came to was the crayon in Artrage 2.22, but that is useless for PS. It should reproduce the fat, waxy appearance of a classical crayon, not as fine as most chalk tools.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance!

U.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ragnar
Mar 19, 2008
Ulrich G. Kliegis wrote:
Hi all,
I’ve been looking for a realistic crayon brush for some time now, without success so far. If possible, it should also be pressure sensitive (Wacom Intuos).

The closest I came to was the crayon in Artrage 2.22, but that is useless for PS. It should reproduce the fat, waxy appearance of a classical crayon, not as fine as most chalk tools.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance!

U.

I think you perhaps should try a paint-type program rather than PS. This would be much better at mimicking the effect of natural tools like crayon, paintbrush etc.

One that supports graphics tablets and won’t cost anything is Artweaver http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version

HTH
R.
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 19, 2008

Hi all,

Any hints?

Here’s a tutorial from Janee – some of the textures about 3/4 the way down look a lot like crayon.

http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/brush7/intro/brush7.htm

Another thought would be to simulate a rougher paper by painting on a layer with a textured layer mask.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
UU
Ulli.usenet
Mar 19, 2008
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:46:12 GMT, "Ragnar" wrote in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop:

I think you perhaps should try a paint-type program rather than PS. This would be much better at mimicking the effect of natural tools like crayon, paintbrush etc.

One that supports graphics tablets and won’t cost anything is Artweaver http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version

Ragnar,
thanks for this pointer. I looked at it and tried the crayon. Almost better than the real thing, at least, this crayon does not break! 🙂

I’d still like to do it eiter integrated in the PS environment, though, or, if available, in a drawing (corel style) environment, where I could tweak and twitch the curves as splines. As far as I know, though, Corel does not offer structured drawing tools (yet), or am I a bit behind?

Thanks for your input, though, I did not know this painting program before.

Cheers,
U.
UU
Ulli.usenet
Mar 19, 2008
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:57:05 GMT, "Mike Russell" wrote in
comp.graphics.apps.photoshop:

Here’s a tutorial from Janee – some of the textures about 3/4 the way down look a lot like crayon.

http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/brush7/intro/brush7.htm

Another thought would be to simulate a rougher paper by painting on a layer with a textured layer mask.

Mike,
thank you very much. This looks pretty perfect. I guess you are talking about the flower with the blue leaves and, a little below, the example to the right of the paragraph "Texture and Preserving Texture", correct?

The influence of the paper texture is interesting, I hope to be able to make use of it. At the moment, I suffer from material and tools overflow :). A structured catalogue of all available tools, patterns etc. will probably always be a dream…

Thanks for this very helpful hint, anyway. So much to learn again…

Cheers,
U.
J
Joe
Mar 19, 2008
Ulrich G. Kliegis wrote:

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:46:12 GMT, "Ragnar" wrote in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop:

Ragnar,
thanks for this pointer. I looked at it and tried the crayon. Almost better than the real thing, at least, this crayon does not break! 🙂
I’d still like to do it eiter integrated in the PS environment, though, or, if available, in a drawing (corel style) environment, where I could tweak and twitch the curves as splines. As far as I know, though, Corel does not offer structured drawing tools (yet), or am I a bit behind?

Thanks for your input, though, I did not know this painting program before.

Cheers,
U.

I have never created a History Brush but I have created several regular bushes to know the difference or how hard to create the History Brush. *But* if you know how to generate the History Brush (you may need to GOOGLE for more information) then you may be able to simulate the Crayon brush.

History Brush is very powerful and unique, and you wanna Google for a site called something like TriMoon there you may find some *free* History Brushes, samples, and instruction etc..

Yes, I have used History Brush once awhile and really enjoy it, but I don’t wanna get too much involved with painting but to spend as much valuable time on retouching.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections