Changing RGBs to CMYK’s-Contrast Changes Drastically…

LW
Posted By
Lamar_Welch
Apr 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Don’t know if this is a PS, or a Pgmkr problem… have RGBs, look very good in PS, change to CMYK, still looks good… place in PM file and they go super contrasty and look generally awful… what am I doing wrong?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LW
Lamar_Welch
Apr 24, 2004
Forgot to say, I’ve tried saving as tifs and PSDs before placing, no difference…
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 24, 2004
there are two reasons why your images would look different

1) PM is not a colour managed application whereas PS is.

2) PM only shows you a low resolution, preview image, (most likely with only 256 colour), not the actual image that will be printed.
L
LenHewitt
Apr 24, 2004
Lamar,

You need to set up PM’s (somewhat primitive) colour management. Without it, PM does a very rough-and-ready conversion from CMYK to RGB for screen display, which is what you are seeing. It won’t affect output to a PostScript printer or imagesetter, but will if printing to a non-PostScript inkjet.
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 24, 2004
what am I doing wrong?

You’re using Pagemaker and expecting good screen previews.

It’s simply not going to happen. If you want your screen previews to look as good as Photoshop you’ll have to switch to InDesign. You’ll get about 100 other benefits as well.

Bob
LW
Lamar_Welch
Apr 25, 2004
Looks like we’ve gotta bite the bullet…got ID 2, just can’t seem to find time enough to get comfortable using it… sure found PM’s unsure ways – some months ago I printed 4 jobs in color -somewhat primitive outcome…yet it was full color, worked the photos in PS, placed in PM docs, STILL as RGBs and printed out the four colors on HP5000 printer, made negs & plates… have not been able to do it since without converting to CYMK. still got jobs on disk, can’t reprint them either…
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 25, 2004
ID 2 was excellent. ID CS is even better.

Bob
EE
Ed_Eberly
Apr 27, 2004
Will Photoshop Elements 2.0 convert RGB to CMYK? How? Specifically, what are the steps?
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 27, 2004
No, it won’t, which is why I recommended it only if you didn’t need CMYK.

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections