J
Posted By
japly53
Apr 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using photoshop CS for couple of months. But today, for some reason, when I create a gradient it’s not smooth. Here is what it gives me:

< http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img10&image=image2 2.jpg>

As you can see the gradient is not blended smoothly. I looked at old stuff I did with photoshop, and they too were not smooth anymore. I haven’t changed any settings. I unistalled it and reinstalled it, but it still has the problem.

Please help.

–Joe

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JH
Jim_Hess
Apr 22, 2004
I looked at the link you provided, and everything looks normal to me. My suspicion is that something has changed in your monitor setup or perhaps something is wrong with your video card.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 22, 2004
Ditto on Jim’s comment. You might try checking to see if your monitor is at a lower color-depth setting. In such cases, a gradient may instead appear as a series of graduated stripes. If you ran a game or some other application that would only work at a lower color depth, maybe that setting got stuck or you forgot to reset it? You might not notice such a change if you’ve got a simple wallpaper background and haven’t been displaying any full-color images recently.

Regards,

Daryl
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 22, 2004
If the other suggestions don’t apply try trashing your prefs. Details in the FAQs.

Bob
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 23, 2004
It has occurred to me over the months that the often effective solution "Trash your prefs" may be double-dutch to many of the beginners who come to this forum with their problems. They don’t know what it means and, even if they did, they wouldn’t know how to do it.

"Delete your Photoshop Preferences file" and then either the location of the file or the "ctrl+alt+shift keys on startup" trick would be more helpful.

Since this measure is so often required, maybe there should be a "Delete Preferences" menu item in Photoshop.

Cheers – John
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 23, 2004
If they’re new, directing them to the FAQs for details serves a dual purpose. The first is of course to show them how to delete the prefs. The second is to make them aware of the FAQs.

Bob
JK
Julian_K
Apr 23, 2004
sounds like your desktop might be reset to 16bit instead of 32 bit. did any driver update recently?
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 23, 2004
Bob

You missed the point. The messages I’m referring to DON’T refer to the FAQs they just say "Trash your prefs". "Trash"; a peculiarly North American word, is not known to all non-natives and "Prefs" is totally meaningless to most beginners (or "newbies").

As far as the FAQs are concerned, they are a valuable resource and, in my opinion, the link should be more strongly shown on entering the forum. By strongly I mean in a large bold font that stands out from the rest of the contents at the top of the page.

Cheers – John
J
japly53
Apr 23, 2004
I trashed the preference, but it didn’t work. Also, my monitor is at 32bit. The problem only occurs in photoshop.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

–Joe
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 23, 2004
Then the display profile is the next possibility…

Or some setting in your video card driver.
CT
Claudia_Tiefisher
Apr 25, 2004
Re: Photoshop CS suddenly changed!

We started having problems with Photoshop CS and found the cause to be a patch we installed in Acrobat from 6.0.05 to 6.0.1. Uninstalled 6.0.1 and reinstalled 6.0.05 and Photoshop is back to normal.

Gord
DR
David_R_Snyder
Apr 25, 2004
Incidentally, to check your color depth setting, right click on the desktop background, select "Properties", then the "Settings" tab. There should be a drop down list labeled "Color quality" (this is on windows XP) or I seem to remember "Color depth" on older versions of windows. This should be set to 16 bit or higher, preferably 24 or even 32 bit.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections