R
Posted By
Rivergoat
Jan 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been following the lessons in the CIB series for PS 7.0 and all has been exactly as written until Lesson 12 "Creating Special Effects." For those familiar with the book this is taking 4 separate images and creating a montage of equal sized images as 4 squares. Special filters are then applied to demonstrate effects.

The book states you can select the layer, in this case a dandelion, out of the rest of the montage and apply a zig-zag filter creating pond ripple effects. I’ve tried repeatedly but cannot make the image appear as the finished demo. The filter causes the outer edges of the image to distort with pond ripples, whereas the demo in the finished product is only rippled on the dandelion itself, the edges of the image are clear and crisp.

The only way I have been able to duplicate it is to apply the filter on the single jpg of the dandelion, not the image layer in the montage. I can then trash the layer in the montage and move the rippled image from the solo jpg into the montage creating its own new layer. In this way I have an image similar to the demonstration.

So the question is….am I doing something wrong, or is the book in error as to the proper procedure? If the book is correct, how do I limit the ripple zig-zag filter onto the center of the dandelion without affecting the outer edges of the image? The book’s instruction simply states to select the dandelion layer and apply the zig-zag filter to it.

TIA

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Corey
Jan 6, 2005
Try making a selection closely around the dandelion first, using your rectangular marquee tool. Then apply the filter.

This may or may not work, but I suspect it may.

Peadge 🙂

"Rivergoat" wrote in message
I’ve been following the lessons in the CIB series for PS 7.0 and all has been exactly as written until Lesson 12 "Creating Special Effects." For those familiar with the book this is taking 4 separate images and creating a montage of equal sized images as 4 squares. Special filters are then applied to demonstrate effects.
The book states you can select the layer, in this case a dandelion, out of the rest of the montage and apply a zig-zag filter creating pond ripple effects. I’ve tried repeatedly but cannot make the image appear as the finished demo. The filter causes the outer edges of the image to distort with pond ripples, whereas the demo in the finished product is only rippled on the dandelion itself, the edges of the image are clear and crisp.

The only way I have been able to duplicate it is to apply the filter on the single jpg of the dandelion, not the image layer in the montage. I can then trash the layer in the montage and move the rippled image from the solo jpg into the montage creating its own new layer. In this way I have an image similar to the demonstration.
So the question is….am I doing something wrong, or is the book in error as to the proper procedure? If the book is correct, how do I limit the ripple zig-zag filter onto the center of the dandelion without affecting the outer edges of the image? The book’s instruction simply states to select the dandelion layer and apply the zig-zag filter to it.

TIA
R
Rivergoat
Jan 6, 2005
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 05:08:51 -0800, "Peadge"
wrote:

Try making a selection closely around the dandelion first, using your rectangular marquee tool. Then apply the filter.

This may or may not work, but I suspect it may.

Peadge 🙂

Thanks. After shutting down for the night I thought about this as a possible solution, I will try it this afternoon. I’ll post the results. If it does work, I’m rather miffed that the instruction book misses this step.
R
Rivergoat
Jan 7, 2005
Well, thanks for the tip, and indeed it was correct. Useing a rectangular marquee around the dandelion prior to applying the filter kept the pond ripple effect limited to the dandelion and away from the edge of the frame. This appears to be an omission in the book, I question it was expecting the newbie to remember to do that as all other lessons repeat each step as necessary.

I sent a note to Adobe regarding this, although they advised me to contact the publisher. I did, and am waiting for a reply.

I’ve learned a LOT about PS thus far, now to remember it and put it to practical use….
C
Corey
Jan 7, 2005
"Rivergoat" wrote in message
Well, thanks for the tip, and indeed it was correct. Useing a rectangular marquee around the dandelion prior to applying the filter kept the pond ripple effect limited to the dandelion and away from the edge of the frame. This appears to be an omission in the book, I question it was expecting the newbie to remember to do that as all other lessons repeat each step as necessary.

I sent a note to Adobe regarding this, although they advised me to contact the publisher. I did, and am waiting for a reply.
I’ve learned a LOT about PS thus far, now to remember it and put it to practical use….

I sort of found that one by accident…trial and error really. I was trying to spherize something and it was creating the effect way off to one side. After about 3 fistfuls of hair being pulled, I tried making a selection and it worked.

I’ve seen other step-by-step tutorials that seem to leave out major steps. Money saved on proof-reading perhaps?

Peadge 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections