Posted By
Callum_Ferguson
Apr 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi.

On account of Ps7 hanging a lot when playing various effects I’m thinking of changing my M bd and cpu, currently AZ11EA 1GHz Athlon 1GB Ram, GEforce 2 pro AGP and XP h. I understand the graphics card is not too important to Ps, true?, perhaps this one will still do.
After reading Pete and Chris"s to and fro re speed i’m almost afraid to ask. I’d be grateful for any information though as it would be a bit of a bummer to buy dodgy kit. Regards
Malcolm

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

X
xDsrtRat
Apr 22, 2004
wrote in message
Hi.

On account of Ps7 hanging a lot when playing various effects I’m thinking
of changing my M bd and cpu, currently AZ11EA 1GHz Athlon 1GB Ram, GEforce 2 pro AGP and XP h. I understand the graphics card is not too important to Ps, true?, perhaps this one will still do.
After reading Pete and Chris"s to and fro re speed i’m almost afraid to
ask.
I’d be grateful for any information though as it would be a bit of a
bummer to buy dodgy kit.
Regards
Malcolm

Just a friendly suggestion: after doing many motherboard transplants, I now refuse and just go buy a new system. A lot less aggravation and a lot less time. I do move the hard drive, as long as it’s working. Yeah, it’s neat to roll your own, but I’ve become a lot lazier. Besides, it’s a lot less stressful on the family ;-{)
GP
Gene Palmiter
Apr 22, 2004
Putting in a mother board is the hardest part of building a computer. Still not hard…not a pain in the backside but an annoying twinge. So I like to buy a bare-bones system. That is the case, motherboard, chip…all in installed. Just add the plug and play stuff and you are in business.

….and you will be able to find someone who can take your old parts and upgrade their system.

"xDsrtRat" wrote in message
wrote in message
Hi.

On account of Ps7 hanging a lot when playing various effects I’m
thinking
of changing my M bd and cpu, currently AZ11EA 1GHz Athlon 1GB Ram, GEforce
pro AGP and XP h. I understand the graphics card is not too important to
Ps,
true?, perhaps this one will still do.
After reading Pete and Chris"s to and fro re speed i’m almost afraid to
ask.
I’d be grateful for any information though as it would be a bit of a
bummer to buy dodgy kit.
Regards
Malcolm

Just a friendly suggestion: after doing many motherboard transplants, I
now
refuse and just go buy a new system. A lot less aggravation and a lot less time. I do move the hard drive, as long as it’s working. Yeah, it’s neat
to
roll your own, but I’ve become a lot lazier. Besides, it’s a lot less stressful on the family ;-{)

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 22, 2004
For any who are wondering the same as I did, the AZ11EA is a FIC motherboard…I know nothing about their quality or any possible problems with regard to Photoshop.

Daryl
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 22, 2004
intel 865 or 875 chipset. i have an intel d865perl board and love it.
DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 22, 2004
If you want to stick with the AMD platform, I’ve been very happy with my Asus A7N8X.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 22, 2004
Callum, given the age of your system, you may need to get new RAM as well as the new boards may not run the stuff you have. By the time you do that, you may as well get a new graphics card as well. The NVIDIA 5200 (probably 5300 by now) can be bought for a snip and it’s a decent card.

DS Nelson – how much RAM and what speed RAM are you running on that board? I was considering changing my board and that is what I had in mind.
DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 22, 2004
Mick, I’m using two 512 Mb sticks of Corsair PC2700. I’m just running the FSB at the stock 166 MHz. I didn’t buy the "matched-pair" dual channel memory, as I suspect that’s mostly a marketing gimmick, although it may be beneficial for the overclocking gamers. I just bought two sticks of memory from the same store, same part number, at the same time. It’s been working fine.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 22, 2004
Thanks DS. I got the Asus A7V600 (Via chipset equivalent of A7N8) and 2 sticks of PC3200. I didn’t do enough research before buying and it wasn’t until the stuff arrived that I found it would only take two sticks of 3200. I read that some of the A7N8 boards could take 3 sticks of 3200 using one pair in dual-channel configuration and I was really wondering if you had managed to run more than 2 sticks of 3200 successfully. From what I’ve read on this forum, the dual-channel RAM configuration is dodgy. Think I’ll stick for now.
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 22, 2004
I’m running the ASUS a7n8x with a 2800+ CPU and 3 sticks of PC3200 RAM . Bios reports Dual channel operation and I haven’t had any problems ( about 3 months on this mobo ).

🙂

Brent
MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 22, 2004
Great Brent. I’m not going to be racing out to change it but it is really interesting to know that this works. I’ve got a 2800 as well. I take it you are using PSCS as well.
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 22, 2004
I’m still using Pshop 7.01, Mick, and Windows 2000. Some people you just can’t hurry ! <G>

🙂

Brent
DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 22, 2004
My two sticks of memory are in the dual-channel slots. I’ve not had a second of trouble in PSCS, although just being a photography hobbyist in my spare time, I’m sure I don’t push PS nearly as hard as most folks around here do.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections