RM
Posted By
Ryan_Matthews
Apr 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to create a tif file and make it as small in size as humanly possible. Now, I know you can click on "Save For Web" to create gif’s and jpg’s but from what I see, you can only create a tif file by clicking "Save As".

The only problem is that this option gives me a tif image consisting of several mb’s. I have a similar tif image that someone else created that’s only 80 kb’s. How did they do this?
Thanks in advance.

-Goalie35

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
LenHewitt
Apr 21, 2004
You can use a variety of compression methods with TIFF files including JPG Compression (but note that not all applications will be able to read them!)
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 21, 2004
Their image probably has fewer pixels, eh?

If not, they may have saved with LZW compression (non lossy).

Mac
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 21, 2004
Also make sure you do not have layers and Alpha channels, those can increase the size of a TIFF considerably.
JS
John_Slate
Apr 21, 2004
I need to create a tif file and make it as small in size as humanly possible.

My guess is that a 1" x 1" bilevel bitmap @ 1ppi, containing a single black or white pixel, would fit the bill here. Beside file overhead, that would be 1 bit. No compression needed there… XD
SF
Scott_Falkner
Apr 21, 2004
Noise also adds to the size of a compressed TIFF. RUn a Median filter over the file to clean up noise. The simpler the image, the better the compression you will get. For example, if you print out a logo from Illustrator, scan it, then save as a bitmap TIF you will get a larger file than if you rasterized the Illustator file to the same size.
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 21, 2004
Scott,

That has nothing to do with noise.

It has to do with the fact that one is a raster image and the other is a vector image.
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 22, 2004
Rene

Sorry, but the fact that AI is vector is the irrelevant information here. TIF is a raster format, so any AI file will be rasterized when it is saves as a TIF. The fact that is started as a vector will have no difference to the file size, although many vector images will be smaller if they use large areas of flat color, which compresses better than gradients.

Which is what Scott said.
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 22, 2004
Don,

You’re right, I misread what Scott wrote. (Which also implies that Scott was right)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections