SA
Posted By
Sten_Angskog
Apr 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I have opened a new canvas in version 6 I get the message "Could not complete your request because of a program error." when I click anywhere in the new canvas. After that I can´t do anything but get the error message again. Have to close down and reopen so I can do other work wit images.
I´m using Win98SE and this problem suddenly show up. Idea?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 20, 2004
Trash your prefs. Details in the FAQs.

Bob
SA
Sten_Angskog
Apr 21, 2004
Hi Bob
Yes I did that but it does´nt help.
I get the error message when I´m using Move Tool.

I have also tried to uninstall PS, reinstall W98SE and reinstall PS but nothing helps. More tips ?

Sten
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 21, 2004
Try turning hardware acceleration down to zero and see if that helps. If it does, you’ve got a video driver problem.

Bob
SA
Sten_Angskog
Apr 21, 2004
No it did´nt help to turn down to zero. I did it step by step down to zero. Same #¤&%%¤#% problem with the Move Tool.

Sten
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 21, 2004
are you sure you deleted the prefrences? did you delete the file or get the dialog asking you to reset photoshop’s settings? just making sure. it can be hard to catch.
SA
Sten_Angskog
Apr 21, 2004
Hi Dave
I started PS by holding down ctrl + alt + shift and answer delete in the menu. I remember that I did it in a previous stage.

Maybe I have to repeat. If I set acceleration to zero my video drivers does´nt work and the sound is terrible. I can try one or two steps down.

Do I have to delete the prefs every time ?

Sten
SA
Sten_Angskog
Apr 22, 2004
I removed my Graphic Card with Radeon 9200SE and installed another with Riva TNT2 but got the same problem. I`m considering to give up to use PS as the problem seems to be permanent. I can´t get rid of it. No idea to have a software which does´nt work. Before I definitively uninstall PS I would appreciate to get a final solution, if any.
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 22, 2004
Maybe you can tell us:
How much memory you have.
Hard drive size and free space.
Scratch disk set-up.
Anti-virus software etc.

Just trying to cover all the bases.

You say

this problem suddenly show up

Have you changed anything else?
SA
Sten_Angskog
Apr 22, 2004
Hi Colin
RAM 380MB
Hard Drive 8GB
Free Space 2GB
1 Partition FAT 32
AntiVir (name of Anti-virus software)

Regards
Sten
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 22, 2004
I don’t know if it’s the cause but you have a serious shortage of harddrive space and RAM.

Bob
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 22, 2004
I don’t know if it’s the cause but you have a serious shortage of harddrive space and RAM

Surely not for PS 6 with modest sized files. I have used PS 7 in this kind of set up with no problems.
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 22, 2004
We don’t know what else is going on with that machine. Two gigs of free space is just way too little once Windows and Photoshop start eating away at, especially with only 384 megs of RAM.

Like I said, I don’t know if it’s the cause but I wouldn’t rule it out quite so quickly.

Bob
SA
Sten_Angskog
Apr 22, 2004
Hi Bob
In my computer I also have another Hard Drive (free space 9GB) and still 384MB RAM but the OS is WinXT. PS works fine but there are no XT drives available for my HP 5100C Scanner.
I can´t scan in 300dpi when using XT. Not so funny to switch between those OS as I have to reboot every time.
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 22, 2004
I assume you mean XP …

RAM is a bit low for XP.

Try putting PS’s scratch on this other drive.
SA
Sten_Angskog
Apr 22, 2004
Hi Colin
Yes of course I mean XP but as I said PS works fine in XP but not my Scanner
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 22, 2004
So you are unable to access this other drive?
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 22, 2004
RAM is a bit low for XP.

Way low, IMO. I wouldn’t even try to run the O/S with less than 256 megs.

Bob
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 22, 2004
I wouldn’t even try to run the O/S with less than 256 megs

But he’s got 380Mb …
I think 512Mb and up is what XP needs.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 22, 2004
I ran ps7 on a p3 800 with 384 meg ram on xp pro fine for it’s entire product life cycle. of course i had loads of hard drive space.

I don’t think this is his problem. something’s seriously screwy here. i think he should uninstall 7, clear out the registry of all adobe and photoshop refrences then reinstall the os then reinstall ps…

better scenario is buy a big new hard drive (they’re cheap!) and xp and install that fresh on the new drive.
SA
Sten_Angskog
Apr 25, 2004
Now I have done the following:
1. Removed files so I got another 1GB free. Totally 3 GB free on HD
2. Uninstalled my PS version 6.0
3. Run Scandisc
4. Run Defrag
5. Reinstalled Win98SE
6. Reinstalled PS version 6.0
7. Start PS (holding down shift + ctrl + Alt) delete prefs and choose default

Open a new canvas in PS, choose Move Tool and click in new canvas.

Guess what…………same problem.
Could not complete your request because of a program error What the hell can be done to get rid of this damn problem ????????? I´m getting mad
L
LenHewitt
Apr 25, 2004
I’d still be betting it’s a video driver problem under Win98, that’s been fixed in the driver for XP
SA
Sten_Angskog
Apr 26, 2004
Hi Len
I don´t agree to that. The reason is that I already tried the possibility. I wrote in a previously posting:
I removed my Graphic Card with Radeon 9200SE and installed another with Riva TNT2 but got the same problem.

Besides, Photoshop 6.0 has previously been OK with Win98SE. The problem I have suddenly show up.
SA
Sten_Angskog
May 5, 2004
It seems that nothing helps. Now I have done the following:
1. Removed files so I got another 1GB free. Totally 3 GB free on HD
2. Uninstalled my PS version 6.0
3. Run Scandisc
4. Run Defrag
5. Reinstalled Win98SE
6. Reinstalled PS version 6.0
7. Start PS (holding down shift + ctrl + Alt) delete prefs and choose default

Open a new canvas in PS, choose Move Tool and click in new canvas.

Guess what…………same problem.
Could not complete your request because of a program error

Are there someone else who had this problem and get rid of it ?
DM
dave_milbut
May 5, 2004
at this point i’d consider reformatting the drive and starting from scratch.
S
strategy9
May 5, 2004
I am getting the same message, but in a different scenario. I am running WinXP on a PIV-2.5ghz with 1GB of RAM, and two separate 80GB hard disks. I use the second disk as my scratch drive. My video card has its own 128mb of RAM.

Here’s my problem:

When printing a large file (800mb, 36" X 84") to an HP Designjet 2500cp, I can only print at "normal" resolution (as defined by the printer driver).

When I try switching to "best" resolution, I get a this Photoshop error: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."

I can print smaller files at the "best" resolution.

I’ve cleared my preferences. Both drives have over 50GB of free space…
DZ
Dan_Zimmerman
May 6, 2004
Not sure if this is related, but I have had a similar problem with opening a new file when I try and open it as a preset custom size of a file already open (by clicking on file name at bottom of custom preset list). This only occurs with small (130×40 pixels or so) GIFs or TIFFs and only started occurring recently with no changes made beforehand to PS. If I convert the same image to a JPEG via save for web I can then open a new file via custom preset without getting the program error message.

Ive got a P4 2.4 with 1 GB RAM and 2 80 GB HDs but since it only happens to very small files RAM and HD size wouldnt matter.

Dan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections