just a simple question, but need answer badly!

B
Posted By
bobsmith2008
Apr 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For TIFF format files, how to make it like this:

———
line art = 1000 dpi
combination art (line/tone) = 500 dpi
halftone art = 300 dpi
———
?
thx advance and
thx for anybud’s reply!

P.S. i use Adobe Photoshop 6.0 and am a newbie for use of this tool.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 20, 2004
Bob,
I’m not sure exactly what your question is. Are you asking how to change image resolution? I don’t use PS 6.0, but in all versions of PS and PSE that I know about, you can right-click (PC) on the banner and select Image>Resize. Or you can click Image on the menu bar and get to the same place. From that screen you can change resolution to anything you want. If you are looking for a way to automatically change resolution to your desired values, based on image mode, I don’t think there is a way to do that.
If I didn’t answer your question, please clarify…or maybe someone else who is more knowledgeable will pitch in.
Bert
B
bobsmith2008
Apr 20, 2004
Thx,Bert!
B
bobsmith2008
Apr 20, 2004
Again, the problem is, that some basic concepts confused me. what’s line art? what’s combination art and halftone?
Maybe i need one book about Photoshop,hehe,badly.

thx again, Bert.
GS
Gustavo_Sanchez
Apr 20, 2004
Bob,

Conventional wisdom tends to say:

line art = 1.200 ppi as much… 800 is usually enough.
halftone art magazine = 300 dpi.
halftone art newspaper = 120 – 200 ppi.**
vector art = No resolution… As long as you don’t rasterize it.

Combination art example: A comic page with CMYK colour for a magazine (texts -> vectors as text, black outline as lineart: 800 ppi, colour as tiff or eps 200 ppi).

– A PostScript or EPS (one page) file assembled in InDesign / Quark XPress, Illustrator, CorelDraw or Freehand.
– A PDF assembled the same way in the same applications (but exclude Quark as it is quite lame in PDF matters).

combination: Use a lay-out software or even Illustrator or Freehand and combine the pieces there.

EPS/PostScript and tiff: Good. Each one has its own advantages. In PostScript/EPS you can embed different bitmaps with different resolutions.

PDF: Becoming better everyday. It’s the likely future. Admits ‘Multiresolution’ (like EPS).

Photoshop is good ‘but’ it only admits one resolution per file. PDF format admits multiple resolution in embedded bitmaps as well.

Hope it helps a bit.

Gustavo Sánchez

(Posted from Spain)

* * – Real numbers vary depending on presses and systems. You’ve got to ask (this and many other things). The general idea is that the resolution in pixels per inch needed to print halftones is obtained multiplying linescreen (lpi NOT ppi or dpi) by 1.5 or a bit less (1.4 – 1.2). But many people still go with 2.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 20, 2004
Bascially Tiff will be catagorized in the ‘halftone art’ segment of their requirments…so 300ppi should please them.

(and dpi is wrong, tell them to change it to PPI)
AM
Aaron_Martone
Apr 20, 2004
Yup. Common misconception. (Psst! There are no dots on a computer screen! There are no pixels in a printer!)

Printers print out in dpi (dots per inch) and monitors display resolutions via ppi (pixels per inch).

LESSON TIME!
Take this resolution for example, 1280x1024x32bpp

You can read it as "1280 pixels wide by 1024 pixels high, at a 32 bit per pixel bit depth"

If You design an image at the web friendly 72ppi (not dpi), then: 1280 / 72 = 17.7 inches
1024 / 72 = 14.2 inches

So how come when you print that it comes out at 4.2" x 3.4" ? Simple. You went from 72ppi to 300dpi. (the often minimum for decent print quality)

300 is 4.16X larger than 72, so
17.7" / 4.16 = 4.2"
14.2" / 4.16 = 3.4"

Aside from that, bit depth (32bpp) is calculated like this: 2^n, where n = bpp.

2^32 = 4,294,967,296 (approx 4.2 billion colors)
btw, 2^32 means 2*2*2*2*2….. (32 2’s)

32 bpp = 2^32 = 4.2 billion
16 bpp = 2^16 = ~65,000
8 bpp = 2^8 = 256
4 bpp = 2^4 = 16
2 bpp = 2^2 = 4
1 bpp = 2^1 = 2 (black and white)
DP
Donkey_Punch
Apr 21, 2004
If ever a thread should be copied and saved, it’s this thread.

Great job on the explanations guys. Bravo for taking the time to break it down like that.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections