RW
Posted By
Rick_Woods
Apr 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some x-ray films and I need to scan them and print them. I am having a real tough time getting a useable image. Does anyone have any suggestions.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SM
sam_m_brown
Apr 20, 2004
Imagine you would want a film scanner I think…
L
larry
Apr 20, 2004
Shoot them on a light box or taped to a window. The fact that they are X-rays means that they have to be treated as film and be backlight to capture an image.

Larry Berman
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 20, 2004
Yup…
About the largest tranny adaptor built into affordable flat beds anymore is 4×9" (Epson models).
If they are the large ones, you can either look for an older scanner (Microtek made some) that has 8.5 x 11 or even legal size full coverage tranny adaptor.

But Larry’s suggestion is best. Shoot on light table with digicam of sufficent megapixel range to get what you need. Assuming grayscale here, you don’t even have to worry about color balance.

Mac
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 20, 2004
We scan X-Rays on a Scitex Eversmart flatbed (12×17" reflective or transparency) like we would any other slide or negative of that size. Works fine

Of course that scanner isn’t exactly cheap so you may want ot find a friendly service bureau to do it for you.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 21, 2004
Yeah, I have old HP IIcx with full legal size tranny top. I’ve done quite a few xrays through the years too.
Only 400ppi optical, but that’s generally more than plenty for larger originals for most any purpose.
But try to find one of these anymore (the tranny adaptor I mean).

Mac
RW
Rick_Woods
Apr 21, 2004
Thanks for all the replies. Our office has an x-ray viewer and we took our investigators 5 Megapixel camera and took images. It worked great and the results were just what I needed.

Thanks
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 22, 2004
Ta Da !

M

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections