Posted By
Aidan
Jun 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

I’ll soon be upgrading my PC system and would like to put a new video card in with dual displays. I’ve got an old 15" sitting around that I’d like to use for palletes and such to get them out of the way. My problem seems to be finding video cards that have built in support for 2 monitors. Is there a good list out there that could help guide me or any advice that can be offered would be much appreciated.

thanks much,

Aidan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EG
Eric Gill
Jun 26, 2003
"Aidan" wrote in
news::

Hello all,

I’ll soon be upgrading my PC system and would like to put a new video card in with dual displays. I’ve got an old 15" sitting around that I’d like to use for palletes and such to get them out of the way. My problem seems to be finding video cards that have built in support for 2 monitors. Is there a good list out there that could help guide me or any advice that can be offered would be much appreciated.

What?

Every major vendor’s medium and high range cards, and most of the low- range, support dual head. Matrox probably has price point if you want no 3D at all with the G550; ATI’s 9500 would be better otherwise. Both give excellent quality images and have quality drivers and support software.
J
jeje
Jun 26, 2003

If you work on Windows XP, you can put a PCI video card with the AGP video card and make a "dual head".
C
chris
Jun 26, 2003
Aidan,
i use 2 monitors on 2 seperate video cards – one is agp32M and the other is an old 8meg pci

it works well

and just for fun at one point i put a third one on – that worked well too

2 x 15" and a 17" – what a desktop
regards
chris

"Aidan" wrote in message
Hello all,

I’ll soon be upgrading my PC system and would like to put a new video card in with dual displays. I’ve got an old 15" sitting around that I’d like
to
use for palletes and such to get them out of the way. My problem seems to be finding video cards that have built in support for 2 monitors. Is
there
a good list out there that could help guide me or any advice that can be offered would be much appreciated.

thanks much,

Aidan

S
Stephan
Jun 26, 2003
"jeje" wrote in message

If you work on Windows XP, you can put a PCI video card with the AGP video card and make a "dual head".

Not only with XP, any Windows will do that.
If you want two monitors just ad a cheapo used PCI video card, who cares how bad it is since the OP just wants to park his tools and palettes on a tiny monitor
You can ad as many PCI cards as you want.
I came across a page on the subject and the author found out that Windows was perfectly happy running up to 32 PCI video cards.

Stephan
H
Hecate
Jun 27, 2003
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:31:06 GMT, "Stephan"
wrote:

I came across a page on the subject and the author found out that Windows was perfectly happy running up to 32 PCI video cards.
A 32 monitor desktop? Now *that* would be interesting… 😉

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)
M
Madsen
Jun 27, 2003
Hecate wrote:

Four of these surrounding you and you’re ready to fly 😉 < http://www.9xmedia.com/pages-Build_a_system/X-Top_Expert—4 _over_4.html>

Regards
Madsen.
S
Stephan
Jun 27, 2003
"Madsen" wrote in message
Hecate wrote:

Four of these surrounding you and you’re ready to fly 😉 < http://www.9xmedia.com/pages-Build_a_system/X-Top_Expert—4 _over_4.html>

You bastard! You just ruined my day… I thought my triple display was so cool until I followed your link ;-(

😉

Stephan
S
smiley
Jun 27, 2003
Am I understanding this right???
You can just toss a second (or more) video card in
and windows is cool with that? Why then would folks
be paying $200-900 for a single card with dual monitor capabilities? Seems silly.

-Alex

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:31:06 GMT, "Stephan"
wrote:

"jeje" wrote in message

Not only with XP, any Windows will do that.
If you want two monitors just ad a cheapo used PCI video card, who cares how bad it is since the OP just wants to park his tools and palettes on a tiny monitor
You can ad as many PCI cards as you want.

Stephan
EG
Eric Gill
Jun 27, 2003
smiley wrote in
news::

Am I understanding this right???
You can just toss a second (or more) video card in
and windows is cool with that? Why then would folks
be paying $200-900 for a single card with dual monitor capabilities? Seems silly.

It would be, if you had to pay that kind of premium for dualhead. You don’t. The Radeon 9100, with dualhead plus TV out can be had for $55USD.
S
Stephan
Jun 27, 2003
"Madsen" wrote in message
Stephan wrote:

You bastard! You just ruined my day… I thought my triple display was so cool until I followed your link ;-(

Ups. I’m sorry Stephan. 😉

Actually, there is even better, check this out
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/10244.asp?promo=el_computer

Stephan
M
Madsen
Jun 27, 2003
Stephan wrote:

Mmm… looks great. 🙂

Regards
Madsen.
J
Jimmy
Jun 27, 2003
"Stephan" wrote in message
Actually, there is even better, check this out
Stephan
So how do you adjust the pincushion or trapezoid on this one?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections