Re- Color Space of P.S. CS – sRGB and Monitor RGB?

D
Posted By
digito77
Dec 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There are no "richer colors of sadRGB space". Colors are what they are
and the task of color-manamement is to keep them like that.

Thank you, Timo,
Actually, I didn’t mean the richer color of the sRGB space, but the richer color of the picture I opened with that sRGB space.

I’ve already found my problem. the color management policy option made the difference.

For a color A in the original camera raw file.

if I opened it in photoshop by turning off the color setting, I saw color A/sRGB_ps. This is the wrong color. I saved it as a jpg file. when I opened the jpg with Acdsee or somewhat, I see color A/sRGB_monitor because it ignores the ICC. It makes sense, A/sRGB is not the original A/camera_RGB. I saw the same wrong color both in photoshop and acdsee.

if I opened it in photoshop by "convert to working RGB", A/camera_RGB was converted to B/sRGB_ps, and this is the correct color. If I opened the saved jpg, I saw B/sRGB_monitor. This is the correct color,too and I proved my monitor and photoshop have similar sRGB space.

if I opened it in photoshop by "preserve embedded color space". I saw A/camera_RGB in photoshop. and my acdsee showed the saved jpg file as A/monitor_sRGB. I saw the correct color in photoshop but a wrong one in acdsee.

My previous problems are solved. But here comes a new one. why my camera has a different sRGB with my computer. It doesn’t look like I can sync them by calibrate my monitor if I can see the correct on by "convert". they just seem to be different color spaces.

Stanley "My new spyder2 may help me to solve the color headache" C.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TA
Timo Autiokari
Dec 24, 2004
(Stanley) wrote:

why my camera has a different sRGB with my computer.

If I understood correctly your camera or the RAW conversion software you use 1) does embedded an ICC profile to the images and 2) that profile is not sadRGB profile. So the image data is not in sadRGB.

Therefore, in order to yo get the image data to your RGB working-space you do need to 1) preserve the embedded profile and then 2) convert to your RGB working-space. And to get the images accurately to the Web you need to convert them to a suitable Web publishing space like to the nativePC profile.

About color accuracy in general, none of the digital cameras (nor their conversion software) produce the images in any accurate ICC profile (unless it is a custom made profile). Somebody could claim that they are close but that is a matter of opinion and depends on from what part of the tonal reproduction range this opinion is derived.

By default (without an accurate custom profile) all digital cameras and their RAW conversion software produce the dark end of the tonal reproduction range incorrectly, way too dark. This has the effect that the high image noise and/or the lack of the dynamic range is hidden, but also all image detail there in the dark end will be hidden too. This is a common method to hide these faults that all the camera manufacturers use.

Timo Autiokari http://www.aim-dtp.net

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections