E
Posted By
etech
Jul 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
had ps7 on win 2000, and i was having a problem that after i opened an image, when i would try to change the image size, or select and area with the selection tool, ps would freeze, i couldnt ctrl+alt+del… i had to press the reset button in order to do anything on my computer. i found a fix to rename 3 files in "plug-ins>adobe photoshop only>extensions>" to .old files and it worked.

fresh installed xp and its doing the same thing, when i renamed the files again it didnt fix it.

was told it was because my asus motherboard is conflicting w/ ps. anyone have any ideas of what i can do besides buy a new motherboard?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Jul 8, 2003
Please read the FAQ.
CG
Char Green
Jul 8, 2003
Hope someone answers you because the same thing happens here, although I just figured it was my machine running hot.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 8, 2003
Hope someone answers you

Someone did, in post #2.
CG
Char Green
Jul 8, 2003
Chris (and YrBkMgr), I did read the FAQ and it doesn’t really address the problem. I"m using w2k, have been using it for 2 years now and have never had PS be anything but rock solid stable until recently. As I said, I suspect it is an overheating issue but it would be nice to be sure about that rather than just "guessing."

System info: AMD AK74, 512RAM, 600MHz.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 8, 2003
The reason Chris pointed to the FAQ was due to the Asus MB – there are known issues. You said that you were having the same problem, but didn’t differentiate whether or not you had the same MB. Sorry that it sounded snotty, didn’t mean to.

It’s probably not your machine running hot. If your issues are the same as the original posters, to wit, PS freeze with selection tool or upon Image|Image size, here’s the recommended steps, provided you don’t have the Asus MB.

The easiest thing to do that is somewhat of a cure-all, is to reset your preferences. Procedure in the FAQ’s.

If that doesn’t help, open the System applet in control panel, and on the performance tab turn Video Hardware Acceleration to NONE. If the problem goes away, it’s buggy video drivers – either update them or roll them back one version.

If PS is not freezing when you select an area, rather, it freezes when you are supposed to get a dialog box, then screen resolution would be suspect. Did you change it recently or have a dual monitor setup? It’s possible that the dialog is there, but "off-screen". Procedure for correcting this is also in the FAQ’s.

Make sure your display res is 32-bit.

If you have specific information on when it freezes, as I’m sure you are aware, the more specific the enunciation of the issue, the more specific the recommended solutions can be.

Peace,
Tony

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections