R
Posted By
ronviers
Jan 6, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I cannot figure out how to reply to the original thread but in June I posted this:

"Hi,
I get a burning, stinging, tingling, numb sensation in the lower part of my right arm, my mouse are, after working more than say twelve or fifteen hours. As I get older I get less able to sleep this off. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to avoid doing long term damage? I
can handle the discomfort but if I continue to do nothing it could become a real, and by real I mean expensive, problem. I put a cushion under my arm, which helped a lot, but I wish there was something else I could do.
Thanks,
Ron "
There were lots of nice and concerned replies.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.graphics.apps.photoshop/ browse_frm/thread/62d59b0dc69aa839/54bb3bb8a1d03968?lnk=gst& amp;q=arm+pain#54bb3bb8a1d03968

I wanted to follow up on this earlier thread because the change since the original posting has been so dramatic. To be honest the pain was worse than I described because my armpit was killing me – I didn’t even know armpits could hurt. Anyway as per Mike’s and others suggestion I switched to a tablet. It took about five months but the pain has decreased to zero in both arms and I still work at session equally as long. It wasn’t until I started holding the tablet directly in front of me with both hands, left hand on the buttons right hand with the stylus, that it really started making a difference. If I had continued to ignore this problem I am confident that it would have eventually cost me a ton on money and time and potentially ruined my career opportunities.
After the three or so months of adjusting to the tablet there has been no workflow downside to making the change and my ability for creative expression has increased. I still keep the mouse on the left side but there is only a single time, in a non-Photoshop application, I ever have to touch it. There is a fixed cost with the tablets because every couple of months little holes start to form in the surface, which wears out the nibs, and it has to be replaced. For me it translates into about $6/month – well worth it in my opinion.

You can see the evolution of the tablet position change here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers/Workspace

Special thanks to everyone for their generous advice and concern and for saving the career I love so much.

Ron

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
pico
Jan 6, 2008
wrote in message
Special thanks to everyone for their generous advice and concern and for saving the career I love so much.

And thank you, Ron, for the account of how you make it work. I am passing this on to my wife who is having a similar problem.
K
KatWoman
Jan 6, 2008
wrote in message
I cannot figure out how to reply to the original thread but in June I posted this:

"Hi,
I get a burning, stinging, tingling, numb sensation in the lower part of my right arm, my mouse are, after working more than say twelve or fifteen hours. As I get older I get less able to sleep this off. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to avoid doing long term damage? I
can handle the discomfort but if I continue to do nothing it could become a real, and by real I mean expensive, problem. I put a cushion under my arm, which helped a lot, but I wish there was something else I could do.
Thanks,
Ron "
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.graphics.apps.photoshop/ browse_frm/thread/62d59b0dc69aa839/54bb3bb8a1d03968?lnk=gst& amp;q=arm+pain#54bb3bb8a1d03968

I wanted to follow up on this earlier thread because the change since the original posting has been so dramatic. To be honest the pain was worse than I described because my armpit was killing me – I didn’t even know armpits could hurt. Anyway as per Mike’s and others suggestion I switched to a tablet. It took about five months but the pain has decreased to zero in both arms and I still work at session equally as long. It wasn’t until I started holding the tablet directly in front of me with both hands, left hand on the buttons right hand with the stylus, that it really started making a difference. If I had continued to ignore this problem I am confident that it would have eventually cost me a ton on money and time and potentially ruined my career opportunities.
After the three or so months of adjusting to the tablet there has been no workflow downside to making the change and my ability for creative expression has increased. I still keep the mouse on the left side but there is only a single time, in a non-Photoshop application, I ever have to touch it. There is a fixed cost with the tablets because every couple of months little holes start to form in the surface, which wears out the nibs, and it has to be replaced. For me it translates into about $6/month – well worth it in my opinion.

Ron

very good news RON for the new year

I see one BIG problemo

NO ARM RESTS on your chair

to anyone with shoulder pain I recommend this, removes a lot of stress in the shoulder to neck area

I always buy a chair with adjustable armrest heights, then set chair to keep arms at elbow same height as desk top
and I have pads on those too RON, LOL, I rubbed my elbow skin off!

I cured my own back pains I thought were from too much computer gaming and PS
got a new mattress and no more aches
used to have a knife like pain under shoulder blades and constant soreness between neck and shoulder
had to use aspirin for it

tempurpedic worth every cent
R
ronviers
Jan 7, 2008
On Jan 6, 4:27 pm, "KatWoman" wrote:
wrote in message

"Hi,
Thanks,
Ron "
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.graphics.apps.photoshop/ browse_fr…

Ron

very good news RON for the new year

I see one BIG problemo

NO ARM RESTS on your chair

to anyone with shoulder pain I recommend this, removes a lot of stress in the shoulder to neck area

I always buy a chair with adjustable armrest heights, then set chair to keep arms at elbow same height as desk top
and I have pads on those too RON, LOL, I rubbed my elbow skin off!
I cured my own back pains I thought were from too much computer gaming and PS
got a new mattress and no more aches
used to have a knife like pain under shoulder blades and constant soreness between neck and shoulder
had to use aspirin for it

tempurpedic worth every cent

Hi KW,
That sounds like good advice. Maybe I would use armrests if I had them but as it is I begin every session by taking off my glasses. It’s not that I see badly with them on only that I see perfect with them off – as long as I lean in close. Because I’m always leaning forward (back straight) there is never an opportunity to rest my arms on a chair’s armrests – I always have my left elbow rested on the cushy towel on the desk. I will keep your advice in mind for possible improvements for the future.
The thing I would like to have now is a tablet with a bazillion buttons along the left side. Mine only has four and that is not nearly enough.
Fortunately my bed is excellent. It is made of foam and I never have back or neck problems. I only resort to pain killers if I get stress headaches from failing. You might think my body would be on my side and support me when I’m failing, but no, it decides to punish me until I have success.
Thanks,
Ron
TN
Tom Nelson
Jan 7, 2008
Thanks for sharing what works with us, Ron. I’m glad to know you’ve solved your problem. As we get older these things happen more frequently.

I also tend to take off my glasses and lean toward the screen — nearsightedness at last becomes an advantage! I wonder if I’m receiving harmful radiation that way without knowing it?

Tom
Tom Nelson Photography

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections