Posted By
Blaine_Dickman
Apr 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,
I’m getting ready to order a new, custom, computer and this time I’m doing my homework. I need advice. I have had horrible luck with my computer purchases and I’m looking for advice on what would be the ultimate PC for use in graphics and multimedia. What graphics card, processor(s), what kind of memory etc.. All my time is eaten up learning new software and I’m a real idiot when it comes to buying the hardware. Help me out. What would be the perfect system?
Blaine Dickman
"By their fruits ye shall know them"

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 20, 2004
Been discussed several times. Search the forum.

Bob
AM
Aaron_Martone
Apr 20, 2004
AMD Athlon XP 3200 2.2Ghz 400Mhz FSB
Any Gigabyte Mobo with nVidia SoundStorm Technology and 8x AGP support.
2.0 GB PC3200 DDR 2.8ns RAM
nVidia GeForce 4 FX5900 Ultra 256MB DDR
12×12 Intuos 2 Wacom Graphics Tablet
1000 Quality Textures
300 Quality Fonts
Macromedia Studio MX 2004
Adobe Photoshop CS & Illustrator CS
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Apr 20, 2004
Mac G5 duel 2 ghz, 2-8 gig ram.
DG
Dion_G
Apr 20, 2004
Commodore 64 with tape drive.
BD
Blaine_Dickman
Apr 20, 2004
To the person who gave a real answer, thanks. To the others, I thought this was a forum of professionals. My mistake. As to past postings, any information over a couple of months old is is not of much use on this topic. What was cutting edge in January is old news today. FYI: The GeForce 4 card appears to not be compatible with the new real-time 3d rendering. I’m no tech so I don’t know why, I just know I have 2 beta programs that won’t render on that card. They work great on Radeons latest cards though. Problem is ATI’s stuff is not compatible with some systems. Again, I don’t know why. Hence my problem in putting together a system.

Regarding Mac’s – 90% of my customers submit from PC’s. Since my livlihood depends on my customers, why would I wan’t a Mac when Kinko’s will convert files so cheap? Mac’s are great, but they lost the battle and maybe the war. The Mac I have at my other location crashes so often we are phasing it out. Maintenance cost are to high and the machine is to unreliable since OSX.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 20, 2004
blaine, before you go off on everyone, why don’t you do a wee search of the forum. a professional would have taken the time to research a bit, no? There happens to be several threads still on the first couple pages regarding this exact question. Not a couple of months old, a couple of hours.

here’s one:

dave milbut "best pc desktop for graphic designer?" 4/18/04 5:51pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/1>
P
Phosphor
Apr 20, 2004
"Regarding Mac’s – 90% of my customers submit from PC’s. Since my livlihood depends on my customers, why would I wan’t a Mac when Kinko’s will convert files so cheap? Mac’s are great, but they lost the battle and maybe the war. The Mac I have at my other location crashes so often we are phasing it out. Maintenance cost are to high and the machine is to unreliable since OSX."

Double pffffft.

Triple whateeehhhvaah.

With a heapin’ helpin’ of "Did you know that most professional (e.g.: NOT Hallmark greeting card maker files) native graphics files formats don’t need conversion Mac«—»Windows because they are platform-agnostic?"

With a side order of "What REAL professionals use Kinko’s for anything, particularly a service that isn’t really necessary?"

The dessert tray special featured for today is "You don’t know much about Macs, do you?"

All kidding aside (honestly!):
Good luck with your research and your purchase.

I hope things work out well for you.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Apr 20, 2004
Ditto Phos!
PA
Peter Aitken
Apr 20, 2004
wrote in message
Hi all,
I’m getting ready to order a new, custom, computer and this time I’m doing
my homework. I need advice. I have had horrible luck with my computer purchases and I’m looking for advice on what would be the ultimate PC for use in graphics and multimedia. What graphics card, processor(s), what kind of memory etc.. All my time is eaten up learning new software and I’m a real idiot when it comes to buying the hardware. Help me out. What would be the perfect system?

There’s no such thing as a perfect system, and even if there were it would be out of date in a month. I assume you are talking Windows – for Macs it’s easy. Also it’s impossible to give recommendations without knowing what you will use it for – in more details than "graphics and multimedia." For example, for certain tasks using certain software a dual processor machine would be a good idea, but in other situations it will be a waste of money.

Peter Aitken

Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections