KL
Posted By
Katherine_Lawson
Apr 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This afternoon I got a fix from Adobe for my Photoshop, and it is running beautifully for me so far.

I opened a RAW file from my 5mp Oly c5050z in 16 bit and played around with the settings in camera raw. Then, since it was one of those Photos with the really dark shadows and washed out skies I played with the shadow and highlights filter.

Then I played with levels and a bunch of other settings just to see how 16 bit worked compared to 8 bit.

Wow, this is one nice upgrade!!! I started with a particularly bad photo on purpose, and I ended up with a beautiful photo!

Apparently Photoshop CS now likes my computer, even though it is only 650mhz, with only 384mb of RAM! Yeah, I know Chris, that is soooo 1990’s! Also, I hadn’t even set my scratch disk or anything else, I just fired it up and started playing with one of the worst photos I had.

Anyway, thanks to everyone at Adobe who worked with me for so long and got my computer going with Photoshop CS, it is a wonderful program!!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 20, 2004
Great news, Kathi.

Being the rank amateur I am, now you can teach me CS!
AM
Aaron_Martone
Apr 20, 2004
Congrats! I currently have a computer 2.5x faster and with 3x the memory and it takes 7 minutes to boot! >:)

But I’m workin on the problem. It’s good to see Adobe make upgrades that are worthwhile and do more good than bad.
KL
Katherine_Lawson
Apr 20, 2004
Mine takes a while to load, but I also have to clean up my plugins folders! (I’ve got hundreds in 3 folders) Also, I don’t expect anything to fly really fast on my machine, but PSCS is runnning a LOT faster than PSP 8.10 on my machine. (I feel very lucky about that), and PSP 8.01 crashes frequently when working on images over 100 mb, (with PSP I have to turn off the computer it is so bad, because everything freezes up on me, including the cursor), but I got that file I was working on in PSCS over 125 mb before I closed PS to go on line, and it didn’t crash on that one! (knock on wood).

I hope you get everything straightened out on your machine Aaron.

DS Nelson, I’m not exactly an expert with Photoshop, but I’m trying!

I just keep wondering why it runs so well on my laptop with 128mb of RAM and so far, on this desktop with only 384mb. It makes no sense.
ND
Nick_Decker
Apr 20, 2004
Katherine, what "fix" did Adobe come up with for you?
KL
Katherine_Lawson
Apr 20, 2004
Hi Nick, it was a problem with my machine that no one else seemed to have that prevented Photoshop CS from running at all. It opened, displayed error messages that no one else’s machine displayed, then shut down every time. It had nothing to do with speed or memory issues or anything like that.

It had to do with the Macrovision activation file.
ND
Nick_Decker
Apr 20, 2004
Thanks, Katherine, glad you got it worked out. I have a couple of performance issues with PS CS and I’m always interested to know what’s working for others.

Nick

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections