R
Posted By
ronviers
Jan 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I never thought I would want to ignore another member but I never read the MI posts and they do not help when it comes to scanning the list. Does anyone know if it is possible to block a member’s posts with the Google Reader? If it means changing readers then I will just put up with it, it’s really not that big of a deal.

Thanks,
Ron

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mike Russell
Jan 5, 2008
wrote in message
I never thought I would want to ignore another member but I never read the MI posts and they do not help when it comes to scanning the list. Does anyone know if it is possible to block a member’s posts with the Google Reader? If it means changing readers then I will just put up with it, it’s really not that big of a deal.

Hi Ron,

Yeah – I know what you mean! It’s amazing that one mentally perturbed person can get us all in a knot like this! LOL.

The only readers I’ve seen that are able to gracefully block this stuff are the ones that support filters using regular expressions, or some other advanced pattern matching feature.

Two of these are Forte Agent, and 40tudeDialig. Neither is free, and they do have a bit of a learning curve, so you may be well advised to just tough it out with Google.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
J
JD
Jan 5, 2008
wrote:

Thanks,
Ron

I’m using SeaMonkey as my newsreader and the way the MI posts change with each new one it is almost impossible to block them. The Subject and From change just enough to pass any filters put on for previous posts.

JD..
R
ronviers
Jan 5, 2008
On Jan 5, 5:54 am, JD wrote:
wrote:

Thanks,
Ron

I’m using SeaMonkey as my newsreader and the way the MI posts change with each new one it is almost impossible to block them. The Subject and From change just enough to pass any filters put on for previous posts.

JD..

Oh well, I hardly notice it anymore anyway.

Thanks,
Ron
J
Joe
Jan 5, 2008
"" wrote:

Thanks,
Ron

I would love to get my hand on the spams from Google-Group, but it’s so sad that Newsproxy is the only answer but it no longer work on my system. So, if you can get NewsProxy (aka NFilter) to work with your system then go for it. It’s FREE, small, easy to use and it will be able to kill the root of Google-Poster or 99.xx% of anyone you want to kill.
P
Peter
Jan 6, 2008
"JD" wrote in message
wrote:

Thanks,
Ron

One can always block all posts from his domain, Lycos. Complaints to have resulted in his variations. Does anyone know of a way to block postings to multiple NGs?

Peter
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 6, 2008
wrote:
I never thought I would want to ignore another member but I never read the MI posts and they do not help when it comes to scanning the list.

This won’t help you, Ron, but I believe I found a simple solution for this in Outlook Express – create a message rule that ignores news messages with the words "M", "I", and "5" in the subject. —
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 6, 2008
wrote in message

[re MI guy and other aggravations]

Hi Mike,
The state of email, newsgroup, forum, rss, im etc. aggregation is sad.

Yes, it’s a mess with all the spam.

Personally I would like to process everything through my inbox. I recently found sendmerss.com which forwards rss feeds to my inbox. That helped because I had previously refused to incorporate a feedreader (or what ever they are called) into my workflow. At least now I can subscribe to select rss feeds.

Haven’t explored these yet.

The next project for me is; http://del.icio.us/. This is an online bookmark repository with trend tracking and sharing. I need this because my PS, AI and Maya bookmarks have become black holes – I might as well not bookmark anything at all right now. I want to set this up when I get some time.

Glad you mentione this. I was going through my bookmarks – just one folder of them, actually – and found all sorts of duplicates, and interesting stuff I wanted to get back to, but never did.

The nice thing about outlook express is that it’s free and always here if I need it. I will keep it in mind for when I decide to really get organized.

OE is remarkably flexible. I’ve been using it for years, and it works well, particularly when combined with SpamPal for filtering. I would dearly love to use Thunderbird/Mozilla, however they simply choke on the large number of messages that I have. I also have color coded filters to highlight people that I find particularly interesting, or people who routinely post large quantities of silly things, but who I don’t find enough of a problem to actually block completely. I’ve found, over the years, that many of the silly ones in this newsgroup andothers gradually improve, and I "graduate" them to a nicer highlight color.

I don’t mind the MI guy as much as my OP made it sound – I should have just kept cool about it.

A lot of people, myself included, share this feeling, and perhaps more so, which is why your post is getting as much response as it has. —
B
burt
Jan 7, 2008
Mike Russell wrote:

wrote:
I never thought I would want to ignore another member but I never read the MI posts and they do not help when it comes to scanning the list.

This won’t help you, Ron, but I believe I found a simple solution for this in Outlook Express – create a message rule that ignores news messages with the words "M", "I", and "5" in the subject.

Good idea. I just created a filter like that, and will see if works on the next download.

That guy really is sick… over the top sick…

– Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.
http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
R
ronviers
Jan 7, 2008
On Jan 6, 12:55 am, "Mike Russell" <
MOVE> wrote:
wrote:

This won’t help you, Ron, but I believe I found a simple solution for this in Outlook Express – create a message rule that ignores news messages with the words "M", "I", and "5" in the subject. —
Mike Russell -www.curvemeister.com

Hi Mike,
The state of email, newsgroup, forum, rss, im etc. aggregation is sad. Personally I would like to process everything through my inbox. I recently found sendmerss.com which forwards rss feeds to my inbox. That helped because I had previously refused to incorporate a feedreader (or what ever they are called) into my workflow. At least now I can subscribe to select rss feeds.
The next project for me is; http://del.icio.us/. This is an online bookmark repository with trend tracking and sharing. I need this because my PS, AI and Maya bookmarks have become black holes – I might as well not bookmark anything at all right now. I want to set this up when I get some time.
The nice thing about outlook express is that it’s free and always here if I need it. I will keep it in mind for when I decide to really get organized. I don’t mind the MI guy as much as my OP made it sound – I should have just kept cool about it.
Thanks,
Ron
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 9, 2008
"Joe" wrote in message
[re filtering spam from new groups]

*If* NFilter (aka NewsProxy) runs on your system then it’s a super spam killer than Agent can’t hold candle for NFilter. It’s *free*, discontinued
for many years, very simple to use, work with just about any reader.

The URL is http://www.nfilter.org/ . I have not tried it, but it looks interesting.

J
Joe
Jan 10, 2008
"Mike Russell" wrote:

wrote in message

Hi Ron,

Yeah – I know what you mean! It’s amazing that one mentally perturbed person can get us all in a knot like this! LOL.

The only readers I’ve seen that are able to gracefully block this stuff are the ones that support filters using regular expressions, or some other advanced pattern matching feature.

Two of these are Forte Agent, and 40tudeDialig. Neither is free, and they do have a bit of a learning curve, so you may be well advised to just tough it out with Google.

*If* NFilter (aka NewsProxy) runs on your system then it’s a super spam killer than Agent can’t hold candle for NFilter. It’s *free*, discontinued for many years, very simple to use, work with just about any reader.

I don’t have the link but you guy should be able to Google for "Nfilter"
J
Joe
Jan 10, 2008
"Mike Russell" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

*If* NFilter (aka NewsProxy) runs on your system then it’s a super spam killer than Agent can’t hold candle for NFilter. It’s *free*, discontinued

The URL is http://www.nfilter.org/ . I have not tried it, but it looks interesting.

That’s one and it contain the original versions of NFilter (dicontinued or no support from original author), there is a newer modified version v1.24 by someone else, but for some reason none of them works with *some* (not all) WinXP system because of some type of 32-bit issue.

BTW, NFilter or NewsProxy acts as a server, and it can filter just anything you can see in the HEADER. And it won’t slow down the system, won’t require any extra disk space, and should work with any reader or binary downloader.

This is how it works in general.

1. You configure the name of Usenet SERVER (the server name uses by reader)

2. Set reader to "127.0.0.1" which is what NewsProxy is (a Local Host)

3. Then the headers will go through NewsProxy, filter, then pass the clean header to reader.

The neatest thing about NewsProxy (aka NFilter) that you can filter to root of any spam no matter how often or how many nicks they use.
J
Jason
Jan 12, 2008
In article <beKfj.378896$>,
says…
wrote:

Thanks,
Ron

Gravity – if you can find it – allows you to define rules with Regular Expressions. A very simple RE will zap all the MI posts since the subject (so far…) always contains M<something>I<something>5. —
reverse my name in email address
B
Benny
Jan 13, 2008
"Joe" wrote in message
"Mike Russell" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

That’s one and it contain the original versions of NFilter (dicontinued or no support from original author), there is a newer modified version v1.24 by
someone else, but for some reason none of them works with *some* (not all) WinXP system because of some type of 32-bit issue.

BTW, NFilter or NewsProxy acts as a server, and it can filter just anything you can see in the HEADER. And it won’t slow down the system, won’t require any extra disk space, and should work with any reader or binary downloader.

3. Then the headers will go through NewsProxy, filter, then pass the clean header to reader.

The neatest thing about NewsProxy (aka NFilter) that you can filter to root of any spam no matter how often or how many nicks they use.

Russell’s reply further in this post works perfectly ………………….

"……………… I believe I found a simple solution for this in Outlook Express – create a message rule that ignores news messages with the words "M", "I", and "5" in the subject."

I haven’t had any MI5 posts appear since setting this up. Thanks heaps Russell.

regards

Benny

(PS – still trying to get used to end posting – just doesn’t make sense, but willing to take the advise from better posters than myself that this is how it should be done – ugh!!!. Apologies to all those front posters who had to scroll through all the above to get to my reply. Please don’t extend this comment any further – I’m merely an end poster in training 🙂 🙂
B
Benny
Jan 13, 2008
"Benny" <no spam > wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
"Mike Russell" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

*If* NFilter (aka NewsProxy) runs on your system then it’s a super spam
killer than Agent can’t hold candle for NFilter. It’s *free*, discontinued

That’s one and it contain the original versions of NFilter (dicontinued or
no support from original author), there is a newer modified version v1.24 by
someone else, but for some reason none of them works with *some* (not all)
WinXP system because of some type of 32-bit issue.

3. Then the headers will go through NewsProxy, filter, then pass the clean
header to reader.

Russell’s reply further in this post works perfectly
………………….

"……………… I believe I found a simple solution for this in Outlook Express – create a message rule that ignores news messages with the words "M", "I", and "5" in the subject."
I haven’t had any MI5 posts appear since setting this up. Thanks heaps Russell.

regards

Benny

(PS – still trying to get used to end posting – just doesn’t make sense, but willing to take the advise from better posters than myself that this is how it should be done – ugh!!!. Apologies to all those front posters who had to scroll through all the above to get to my reply. Please don’t extend this comment any further – I’m merely an end poster in training 🙂 🙂

Apologies Mike – I meant to use your Christian name not surname in my reply. Keep up the good work with Curvemeister.
Benny
D
Dave
Jan 13, 2008
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:47:13 GMT, "Benny" <no spam > wrote:

LOL, congrats and thanks for doing it the way it should be done, Benny.

Apologies to all those front posters who had to
scroll through all the above to get to my reply.

Because you left unnecessary text in your reply.
Only leave the text you are reacting on.
This is the way it should be done.

Dave

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections