J
Posted By
jrzyguy
Dec 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
got a new nikon coolpix 4100 the other day…ok..not the most sophisticated dig cam out there by a long shot…but being a fan of 35mm i figure go with something middle of the line until i know exactly what i want (and hey…it came with a free printer….after i mail in all the rebates)

Well…first question…it came with its own software to transfer files from cam to puter….i was really hoping i could just do this directly from PS. But the only import i see is from my scanner 🙁 is there any plug-in i can get so i can transfer directly from PS????? IT came bundled with Picture Project….its ok i guess…i would just like to streamline the process

Also..if anyone has any pos or neg feedback on this cam i would love to hear it….i could probably bring it back and exchange it….my range was about 350-400…and i got this for 209….WITH the printer…i think it is a good "start"….i just miss my old 35mm (manual)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
Jojo
Dec 19, 2004
Well…first question…it came with its own software to transfer files from cam to puter….i was really hoping i could just do this directly from PS. But the only import i see is from my scanner 🙁 is there any plug-in i can get so i can transfer directly from PS????? IT came bundled with Picture Project….its ok i guess…i would just like to streamline the process

Buy a CF reader. They are very inexpensive. In Windows it will show up as a drive. Use explorer to ind the files and just copy it to your hard drive.
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 19, 2004
jrzyguy wrote:
got a new nikon coolpix 4100 the other day…ok..not the most sophisticated dig cam out there by a long shot…but being a fan of 35mm i figure go with something middle of the line until i know exactly what i want (and hey…it came with a free printer….after i mail in all the rebates)

Good move – look forward to taking a lot more pictures than before, and learning more.

Normally not – most cameras don’t have a scanner-style TWAIN interface. This works out OK because NikonView will move your images from the camera to a new folder. Treat these as your negatives, and modify the duplicates in Photoshop. when you get a CD’s worth, which is a lot of images, burn a new disk.

Also..if anyone has any pos or neg feedback on this cam i would love to hear it….i could probably bring it back and exchange it….my range was about 350-400…and i got this for 209….WITH the printer…i think it is a good "start"….i just miss my old 35mm (manual)

There’s no need to say good bye to old faithful. There’s nothing keeping you from using your 35mm whenever you want, and you may find some of your technique from digital carries over.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
J
jrzyguy
Dec 19, 2004
unfortunately…my trust 35mm Olympus was stolen when my apt was broken into….and as i am on a tight budget this is what i could afford…i was willing to go up to 350 400 but the guy at B&H (love that place) convinced me to by this. I have taken some decent shots so far…i just find it difficult to compose the way that i am used to. It is VERY small and i sorta miss all the manual stuff i could do with my old war horse. The small thing isnt so bad tho…i can put in my winter coat pocket and so it will be with me all the time so i might catch some shots that i might have missed with the old boy.

any good links for a person who is "crossing over". would be cool. I am PS and puter savy….it just took me a long time to get to the digital realm due to financial constraints.

jj

There’s no need to say good bye to old faithful. There’s nothing keeping you from using your 35mm whenever you want, and you may find some of your technique from digital carries over.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

L
LWD
Dec 19, 2004
Hi, Jrzyguy,

It looks to me like there’s just about nothing you can affect with that particular camera, so you’ll probably just have to work around it. A place to learn about digital photography, though, is DPReview. Here’s a link to the Coolpiz 4100:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cp4100.asp

If you can alter the ISO rating, you might start there – or put a neutral density filter on the lens to get a lower shutter speed to blur the image (if that’s what you want), etc. CF card readers are not too expensive, but I’d advise buying one with a USB connector which handles many card formats since you will be buying other cameras in the future and/or you might want to download photos from a friend’s camera which uses a different card. There’s a lot of manipulation you can do in an image editing program, so you might also play with combining different photographs to get interesting effects.

Good luck,

Lucian
============================================================ ================= "jrzyguy" wrote in message
got a new nikon coolpix 4100 the other day…ok..not the most sophisticated
dig cam out there by a long shot…but being a fan of 35mm i figure go with
something middle of the line until i know exactly what i want (and hey…it
came with a free printer….after i mail in all the rebates)
Well…first question…it came with its own software to transfer files from
cam to puter….i was really hoping i could just do this directly from PS. But the only import i see is from my scanner 🙁 is there any plug-in i can
get so i can transfer directly from PS????? IT came bundled with Picture Project….its ok i guess…i would just like to streamline the process
Also..if anyone has any pos or neg feedback on this cam i would love to hear
it….i could probably bring it back and exchange it….my range was about 350-400…and i got this for 209….WITH the printer…i think it is a good
"start"….i just miss my old 35mm (manual)

L
LWD
Dec 19, 2004
Sorry, Coolpix, of course, not Coolpiz. Also note that all of the principles of 35mm or any photography still apply – you can still use polarizers, for example. It will be a challenge but good photographs are firstly dependent on the photographer, not the camera.

L.

"LWD" wrote in message
Hi, Jrzyguy,

It looks to me like there’s just about nothing you can affect with that particular camera, so you’ll probably just have to work around it. A place
to learn about digital photography, though, is DPReview. Here’s a link to the Coolpiz 4100:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cp4100.asp
If you can alter the ISO rating, you might start there – or put a neutral density filter on the lens to get a lower shutter speed to blur the image (if that’s what you want), etc. CF card readers are not too expensive, but
I’d advise buying one with a USB connector which handles many card formats since you will be buying other cameras in the future and/or you might want to download photos from a friend’s camera which uses a different card. There’s a lot of manipulation you can do in an image editing program, so you
might also play with combining different photographs to get interesting effects.

Good luck,

Lucian
============================================================ ================= "jrzyguy" wrote in message
got a new nikon coolpix 4100 the other day…ok..not the most sophisticated
dig cam out there by a long shot…but being a fan of 35mm i figure go with
something middle of the line until i know exactly what i want (and hey…it
came with a free printer….after i mail in all the rebates)
Well…first question…it came with its own software to transfer files from
cam to puter….i was really hoping i could just do this directly from PS.
But the only import i see is from my scanner 🙁 is there any plug-in i can
get so i can transfer directly from PS????? IT came bundled with Picture Project….its ok i guess…i would just like to streamline the process
Also..if anyone has any pos or neg feedback on this cam i would love to hear
it….i could probably bring it back and exchange it….my range was about
350-400…and i got this for 209….WITH the printer…i think it is a good
"start"….i just miss my old 35mm (manual)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections