H
Posted By
howldog
Dec 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
interesting posts about double profiling.

My in-house inkjet printer is an HP designjet 10 PS.

If I turn off its color management, the prints are horrible. Period. No matter what settings are used in any graphics program.

Normally I print via Adobe InDesign. I place my photoshop images in there and print. Color management in InDesign is turned off, for fear of "double profiling".

But what about my Adobe Photoshop settings? I selected the standard sort of US PRePress settings and let that fly. That was advice of my printer rep.

Should I change the CMYK setting to the profile supplied by HP for the inkjet? that seems sort of goofy,,,,, but is that right?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
l33r0y
Dec 13, 2004
I’m sure the others will know the answer, but here is my 2c worth…

Are you printing in CYMK and using CYMK printer settings, or one or the other? Because this may be the culprit.

From what I’ve been told, consumer printers are designed to work in RGB only. For example, consumer Epson printers (and therefor printer drivers) are designed to work from an RGB source – forget the fact that is has actual CYMK colours for ink, thats irrelevant… I’m sure the same is to be said for this HP printer at this level…

Stick with an RGB image and print using RGB settings in Photoshop (use inbuilt colour management) and use a RGB settings in your printer driver (turn off additional colour management).

"howldog" wrote in message

If I turn off its color management, the prints are horrible. Period. No matter what settings are used in any graphics program.
Normally I print via Adobe InDesign. I place my photoshop images in there and print. Color management in InDesign is turned off, for fear of "double profiling".

But what about my Adobe Photoshop settings? I selected the standard sort of US PRePress settings and let that fly. That was advice of my printer rep.

Should I change the CMYK setting to the profile supplied by HP for the inkjet? that seems sort of goofy,,,,, but is that right?
M
MOP
Dec 13, 2004

If I turn off its color management, the prints are horrible. Period. No matter what settings are used in any graphics program. Snip

Yes I had much the same experience with my Epson Pro 7600

I have a couple Silicon Graphics monitors,(came out of a Skip in Cambridge) so I set them up with Adobe Gamma and checked everything else in the system, I then printed a series of pictures of different scenes, and finally using the proof set up in Photoshop played with different profiles to get the nearest match. I know it’s probably not the recomended way of doing it, but it worked well, since then I have use a whole roll of 25" x 100′ paper with really accurate results. I tried different settings on the printer including colour management off, the best setting was with it switched to sRGB, hope that helps. It did take me nearly a whole day to get right and I did use a lot of paper, but I hope I will save that loss of paper quite quickle by not reprinting as much stuff in future.

It might interest you that I got the colour match quite close, fairly quickly, the tricky bit was getting it to reproduce skin tones, the most difficult ones were ones taken on our Nikon D1s and the best ones were taken on D70s.
I’m just waiting to get my hands on some D2x now.
Martyn
H
howldog
Dec 13, 2004
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:35:03 GMT, "l33r0y"
wrote:

I’m sure the others will know the answer, but here is my 2c worth…
Are you printing in CYMK and using CYMK printer settings, or one or the other? Because this may be the culprit.

its a postscript rip, designed to accept CMYK data

altho your point is certainly something i have often wondered about.

From what I’ve been told, consumer printers are designed to work in RGB only. For example, consumer Epson printers (and therefor printer drivers) are designed to work from an RGB source – forget the fact that is has actual CYMK colours for ink, thats irrelevant… I’m sure the same is to be said for this HP printer at this level…

Stick with an RGB image and print using RGB settings in Photoshop (use inbuilt colour management) and use a RGB settings in your printer driver (turn off additional colour management).

all the postscript settings in the driver are for CMYK, and, most of the graphics i do in InDesign and Illustrator are CMYK…

so, will that still work?

H
howldog
Dec 13, 2004
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:42:50 GMT, "MOP" wrote:

If I turn off its color management, the prints are horrible. Period. No matter what settings are used in any graphics program. Snip

Yes I had much the same experience with my Epson Pro 7600
I have a couple Silicon Graphics monitors,(came out of a Skip in Cambridge) so I set them up with Adobe Gamma and checked everything else in the system, I then printed a series of pictures of different scenes, and finally using the proof set up in Photoshop played with different profiles to get the nearest match. I know it’s probably not the recomended way of doing it, but it worked well, since then I have use a whole roll of 25" x 100′ paper with really accurate results. I tried different settings on the printer including colour management off, the best setting was with it switched to sRGB, hope that helps. It did take me nearly a whole day to get right and I did use a lot of paper, but I hope I will save that loss of paper quite quickle by not reprinting as much stuff in future.

It might interest you that I got the colour match quite close, fairly quickly, the tricky bit was getting it to reproduce skin tones, the most difficult ones were ones taken on our Nikon D1s and the best ones were taken on D70s.
I’m just waiting to get my hands on some D2x now.
Martyn
thats exactly that i have done, ore or less, burnt up a shitload of paper, even getting a random of my "calibrate" file from my usual prepress people. Just tried to match by eye. Best match i came up with was color management off and set CMYK to emulate photoshop 5.

its pretty close, not exactly…. best i could do tho. theres just so many fricking variables, monitor drivers, printer drivers….

was wondering if one of those thrid party calibrators like Monaco would help me
H
Hecate
Dec 14, 2004
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:05:01 -0500, howldog
wrote:

thats exactly that i have done, ore or less, burnt up a shitload of paper, even getting a random of my "calibrate" file from my usual prepress people. Just tried to match by eye. Best match i came up with was color management off and set CMYK to emulate photoshop 5.
its pretty close, not exactly…. best i could do tho. theres just so many fricking variables, monitor drivers, printer drivers….
Calibration your monitor and using soft proofing is the most accurate way to go. Suggest you look at the Gretag Macbeth monitor calibration.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
L
llutton
Dec 14, 2004
Calibration your monitor and using soft proofing is the most accurate way to go. Suggest you look at the Gretag Macbeth monitor calibration. Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

I have had good luck with the Monaco profiler, both with my printer and my scanner. I got it for under $200. I’m really happy with the results. If you can afford the Gretag Macbeth system, I’m sure that would be the way to go. I think it uses an instrument to measure the colors on your print. Lynn
H
howldog
Dec 14, 2004
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:56:46 +0000, Hecate wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:05:01 -0500, howldog
wrote:

Calibration your monitor and using soft proofing is the most accurate way to go. Suggest you look at the Gretag Macbeth monitor calibration.

thanks, looking at it now
H
Hecate
Dec 15, 2004
On 14 Dec 2004 14:25:17 GMT, (LLutton) wrote:

Calibration your monitor and using soft proofing is the most accurate way to go. Suggest you look at the Gretag Macbeth monitor calibration. Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

I have had good luck with the Monaco profiler, both with my printer and my scanner. I got it for under $200. I’m really happy with the results. If you can afford the Gretag Macbeth system, I’m sure that would be the way to go. I think it uses an instrument to measure the colors on your print. Lynn
You can get a simple monitor calibrator actually. You don’t have to buy into the system and you can upgrade later.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
R
Ryadia
Dec 15, 2004

Designjet’s are one of the few printers that can manage their own colour better than Adobe’s fabled Photoshop and all the quirky setting it needs. Use the designjet colour calibrator to get the right profile for the paper/ink combo then when it comes time to print… Print with preview and in the print space profile choose printer colour management.
V
VT
Dec 15, 2004
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 05:07:22 GMT, "Ryadia" wrote:

Designjet’s are one of the few printers that can manage their own colour better than Adobe’s fabled Photoshop and all the quirky setting it needs. Use the designjet colour calibrator to get the right profile for the paper/ink combo then when it comes time to print… Print with preview and in the print space profile choose printer colour management.

i dont ever print from photoshop. i always exprt my graphics to be used with type and other graphics, into InDesign and rarely Quark or Illustrator.

will this make a difference to your suggestion? then what would you sugggest? I have color management turned off in InDesign and I do use the Designjet’s color management.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections