Transforming a bitmap layer using vector tools?

L
Posted By
l33r0y
Dec 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’d like to know if it is possible to ‘warp’ a bitmap layer using vector tools within PS?

For example, I have a 10×100 bitmap that I want to bend follow the shape of an object (a cup and saucer). Note that I could have kept the bitmap as text and ‘written it to a path’ but I will be using a bitmap for other purposes.*

Am I close by thinking I can use the path tool to do this kind of transformation, or is this purely for creating selections/shapes/clipping masks etc?

Or maybe I should be using a different application, such as CorelDraw, or maybe a plugin for Photoshop?

*The document that I’m referring to is located here:
http://www.momentum-djs.com/promotion_material/coffee.psd

This is doing my head in!

Thanks for any tips!

L.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

E
edjh
Dec 14, 2004
l33r0y wrote:
Hi,

I’d like to know if it is possible to ‘warp’ a bitmap layer using vector tools within PS?

For example, I have a 10×100 bitmap that I want to bend follow the shape of an object (a cup and saucer). Note that I could have kept the bitmap as text and ‘written it to a path’ but I will be using a bitmap for other purposes.*

Am I close by thinking I can use the path tool to do this kind of transformation, or is this purely for creating selections/shapes/clipping masks etc?

Or maybe I should be using a different application, such as CorelDraw, or maybe a plugin for Photoshop?

Thanks for any tips!

L.
Try Squizz.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
C
Corey
Dec 14, 2004
If you want to do this in Photoshop, you should leave the text as type, attach it to the path, twist it, warp it, etc., and then save a copy as a bitmap…PNG, GIF, or JPG. Keep your layered file as a PSD which will allow for future editing.

If you’re "bent" on using the bitmap, you can use your rectangular marquee tool to make a selection around each individual letter and move it to where you want it to be and then rotate it as necessary. Doing so with each letter will simulate what you’re trying to do, but will be much more tedious than attaching text to a path.

Peadge 🙂

"l33r0y" wrote in message
Hi,

For example, I have a 10×100 bitmap that I want to bend follow the shape
of
an object (a cup and saucer). Note that I could have kept the bitmap as text and ‘written it to a path’ but I will be using a bitmap for other purposes.*

Thanks for any tips!

L.

L
l33r0y
Dec 14, 2004
Thanks for that – but what if I’m not using text at all? What about a bitmap that isn’t text originated?

Should I use Illustrator for this?

L.

"Peadge" wrote in message
If you want to do this in Photoshop, you should leave the text as type, attach it to the path, twist it, warp it, etc., and then save a copy as a bitmap…PNG, GIF, or JPG. Keep your layered file as a PSD which will allow
for future editing.

If you’re "bent" on using the bitmap, you can use your rectangular marquee tool to make a selection around each individual letter and move it to where
you want it to be and then rotate it as necessary. Doing so with each letter
will simulate what you’re trying to do, but will be much more tedious than attaching text to a path.

Peadge 🙂

Hi,

For example, I have a 10×100 bitmap that I want to bend follow the shape
of
an object (a cup and saucer). Note that I could have kept the bitmap as text and ‘written it to a path’ but I will be using a bitmap for other purposes.*

Thanks for any tips!

L.

C
Corey
Dec 15, 2004
Thanks for that – but what if I’m not using text at all? What about a bitmap that isn’t text originated?

L.

I know you can attach text to a path in Illustrator, but I’m not sure if you can attach a bitmap to a path. My gut feeling tells me "no." On the bright side, your bitmap text is in its own layer.

Why don’t you just use type in its own layer, attach it to a path and then rasterize the type to make it a bitmap? Why does it have to be a bitmap anyway?

Peadge 🙂
L
l33r0y
Dec 15, 2004
Forget the fact that I’ve used text in the example – it could be any bitmap, anything at all…

L.

I know you can attach text to a path in Illustrator, but I’m not sure if you
can attach a bitmap to a path. My gut feeling tells me "no." On the bright side, your bitmap text is in its own layer.

Why don’t you just use type in its own layer, attach it to a path and then rasterize the type to make it a bitmap? Why does it have to be a bitmap anyway?

Peadge 🙂

C
Corey
Dec 15, 2004
Forget the fact that I’ve used text in the example – it could be any
bitmap,
anything at all…

Well, my guess is that no bitmap can be attached to a path. Vectors and pixels are too dissimilar for this. For instance, if you were to resize the image, Photoshop would have no idea as to where to anchor the pixels to the path or where to place the new pixels in relation to the path. The only way is to break the bitmap apart and simulate the effect. You may be able to use the Liquefy Command to get the effect, but you will be distorting pixels. There are other workarounds and you may still be able to get the results you’re looking for.

Good luck.

Peadge 🙂
L
l33r0y
Dec 15, 2004
Cheers Peadge – I think a plugin will work as someone else suggested, but having tried Illustrator briefly, I think its time to bite the bullet and start learning the other powerhouse Adobe product.

For what its worth, Illustrator does what I need it to so, although its a little tricky. Yes, it allows full control ‘warping/distortions’ through paths, etc. It’s just gonna need a bit of patience to learn and a bit of cutting and pasting between the two apps to get the final effect I’m after.

L.

Forget the fact that I’ve used text in the example – it could be any
bitmap,
anything at all…

Well, my guess is that no bitmap can be attached to a path. Vectors and pixels are too dissimilar for this. For instance, if you were to resize the
image, Photoshop would have no idea as to where to anchor the pixels to the
path or where to place the new pixels in relation to the path. The only way
is to break the bitmap apart and simulate the effect. You may be able to use
the Liquefy Command to get the effect, but you will be distorting pixels. There are other workarounds and you may still be able to get the results you’re looking for.

Good luck.

Peadge 🙂

C
Corey
Dec 16, 2004
Cheers Peadge – I think a plugin will work as someone else suggested, but having tried Illustrator briefly, I think its time to bite the bullet and start learning the other powerhouse Adobe product.

For what its worth, Illustrator does what I need it to so, although its a little tricky. Yes, it allows full control ‘warping/distortions’ through paths, etc. It’s just gonna need a bit of patience to learn and a bit of cutting and pasting between the two apps to get the final effect I’m
after.
L.

One thing to keep in mind is that when type is attached to a path, none of the individual letters are altered in any way, just their relationship to the other letters. So if you ever did manage to attach a bitmap to a path, I don’t believe it wouldn’t curve the bitmap or anything. You would need several bitmaps attached to the same path to get the same visual effect of a curve.

Photoshop’s Warp Text feature however, does alter the type.

Peadge 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections