Posted By
maya
Nov 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi,

I’m putting together a CD with photos for a friend (a DVD, rather, given the large amount of photos..) all the photos that are in .NEF format I want to convert them to JPG’s, but I can’t do this as batch-action b/c PS stops every time when it opens a .NEF file, then you have to click ‘open file’ to open it…;) I would appreciate suggestions.. am on CS3/Vista Ultimate (buggy as hell, both…;)

thank you very much…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

"maya" wrote in message
hi,

I’m putting together a CD with photos for a friend (a DVD, rather, given the large amount of photos..) all the photos that are in .NEF format I want to convert them to JPG’s, but I can’t do this as batch-action b/c PS stops every time when it opens a .NEF file, then you have to click ‘open file’ to open it…;) I would appreciate suggestions.. am on CS3/Vista Ultimate (buggy as hell, both…;)

thank you very much…

Do not record an open command in the action. You will choose the files you want to batch in the batch dialog box. Another issue is control over the save format and any options that save format offers (like jpg setting the compression level). Record the action you want to batch process and record a save as command in it (usually the last step). Choose the format you want to save the image as (like TIF or JPG) and set your format save options (like jpg compression, TIF options, etc.).

Now when you go in to the batch dialog box choose the Action, choose your source files and then choose your destination and file naming options. Now make sure that the ignore save as commands check box is checked this will cause that save as command you recorded in the action to be ignored for actual saving but will cause the batch processor to use the file format and the format options you chose.

I consider the need for a save as command instead of having format and format options available in the batch processor to be a bug. One Adobe knows about and has known about since they added the batch processor and have chosen not to fix it.

The Spider
M
maya
Dec 2, 2007
On Nov 19, 9:21 pm, "The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet" wrote:
"maya" wrote in message
hi,

I’m putting together a CD with photos for a friend (a DVD, rather, given the large amount of photos..) all the photos that are in .NEFformat I want to convert them to JPG’s, but I can’t do this as batch-action b/c PS stops every time when it opens a .NEFfile, then you have to click ‘open file’ to open it…;) I would appreciate suggestions.. am on CS3/Vista Ultimate (buggy as hell, both…;)

thank you very much…

Do not record an open command in the action. You will choose the files you want to batch in the batch dialog box. Another issue is control over the save format and any options that save format offers (like jpg setting the compression level). Record the action you want to batch process and record a save as command in it (usually the last step). Choose the format you want to save the image as (like TIF or JPG) and set your format save options (like jpg compression, TIF options, etc.).

Now when you go in to the batch dialog box choose the Action, choose your source files and then choose your destination and file naming options. Now make sure that the ignore save as commands check box is checked this will cause that save as command you recorded in the action to be ignored for actual saving but will cause the batch processor to use the file format and the format options you chose.

I consider the need for a save as command instead of having format and format options available in the batch processor to be a bug. One Adobe knows about and has known about since they added the batch processor and have chosen not to fix it.

The Spider

thank you Spider.. this is not working.. I open ONE .NEF file to record action, the file opens in a separate kind of dialog, I have to click ‘open’ to open the file (this is very stupid), then when I do save-for-web I get a weird warning:

the image exceeds the size Save for Web was designed for. You may experience out of memory errors and slow perfomrance. Are you sure… etc..
now my machine is a new machine, it has ample memory (4 GB)

so this is ONE difficulty in trying to do the action.. so I click ok, then get to that big save-for-web dialog, click ok… save file w/ same name but .jpg extension.. stop recording.. now how am I going to run this action when there are so many dialogs in between to respond to?? this is a huge pain… as soon as I start running the action it stops when PS opens the first .NEF file (that .NEF dialog where you have to click ‘open’ to open file (really really stupid..)) so I click ‘open’ then PS opens the file, that’s it, action stops running there.. once all files are all open (I’m testing w/about six files now) the action stops, it doesn’t convert the files.. I have hundreds of files to convert.. how can I do this pls.. (my gosh, what a pain.. never again will I shoot in .NEF format.. I did it that day by mistake..) again, CS3/Vista Ultimate… thank you very much..
M
maya
Dec 2, 2007
On Nov 19, 9:21 pm, "The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet" wrote:
"maya" wrote in message
hi,

I’m putting together a CD with photos for a friend (a DVD, rather, given the large amount of photos..) all the photos that are in .NEFformat I want to convert them to JPG’s, but I can’t do this as batch-action b/c PS stops every time when it opens a .NEFfile, then you have to click ‘open file’ to open it…;) I would appreciate suggestions.. am on CS3/Vista Ultimate (buggy as hell, both…;)

thank you very much…

The Spider

I tried doing it by clicking on "suppress file open options dialogs".. then what happens is PS tells me the .jpg version of the file already exists (which it can’t — as I have created a new folder to put the JPG’s in, which is at present EMPTY..) I tried with and without checking "Override Action "Save as" commands", and in both cases it tells me the .JPG version already exists, but it doesn’t… again, destination folder is an EMPTY folder..

thank you….
P
Paul
Dec 2, 2007
No you do not create an action!
Start Bridge, select files, then:-
Tools – Photoshop – Image Processor
You can choose jpg and the output folder.

Hope that helps.
Paul

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections