CS
Posted By
Chuck S
Jun 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am going to ask this question as best as I can. I am working on a jpg that will be a solid color of purple and as the color purple moves across it slowly changes to white. No I have used the gradient tool but the problem I am have is that it will not change the color as it moves straight across. It will change the color in just about any other direction except straight across. I know I must be doing something wrong and would like for someone to explain to me what I am doing wrong.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CS
Chuck S
Jun 25, 2003
Lets just say that Photoshop should be a great and wonderful tool if you have time to take a college course on how to use it. After 2 weeks of working on this one bar of color and countless hours and I am a very patient man …………… lets just say that a simple job in Photoshop like this should not take this kind of effort or time. I will admit that I have never had this much trouble with any program in my life. Yes I have read about everything that shipped with the program and so far I have gotten no where with this one simple action. If there was another program out there that worked on this type of action I would have used it long ago. People in this group have tried to help but as I can tell by reading the answers you are expected to fully understand this program in order to follow the actions suggested here. I guess I need to invest much more time and much more money in a very good book that will go into further detail than what the documentation that comes with this program is willing to do. If this post ever finds it’s way to a developers desk I think that there is a very strong need and desire for a program that can be worked by most anyone out there to do jobs that really should not be so hard to get right. I am sure after doing the proper studies and putting extra resources into learning Photoshop it is a wonderful program. But for us people out there that were able to put down the money to buy the program but unwilling to double that investment to learn how to work it properly ………….. we must move on to something else.
I will also add to the people out there that are thinking how stupid this rage is. Well first anger management has worked wonders for me , and my education level is at least as high or higher than yours , and now I think I will take some blood pressure meds.
Wish this had worked.
"Chuck S" wrote in message
I am going to ask this question as best as I can. I am working on a jpg
that
will be a solid color of purple and as the color purple moves across it slowly changes to white. No I have used the gradient tool but the problem
I
am have is that it will not change the color as it moves straight across.
It
will change the color in just about any other direction except straight across. I know I must be doing something wrong and would like for someone
to
explain to me what I am doing wrong.

N
nomail
Jun 25, 2003
Chuck S wrote:

I am going to ask this question as best as I can. I am working on a jpg that will be a solid color of purple and as the color purple moves across it slowly changes to white. No I have used the gradient tool but the problem I am have is that it will not change the color as it moves straight across. It will change the color in just about any other direction except straight across. I know I must be doing something wrong and would like for someone to explain to me what I am doing wrong.

Gradient has several options, that can be changed by clicking the little icons in the settings bar. Apparently, the option is now set to a circular gradient in stead of a linear gradient.

Johan W. Elzenga jwe<<at>>cheetah.demon.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.cheetah.demon.nl/
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 25, 2003
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:47:15 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) found these unused words floating about:

Chuck S wrote:

Gradient has several options, that can be changed by clicking the little icons in the settings bar. Apparently, the option is now set to a circular gradient in stead of a linear gradient.

May also hold the shift key while drawing out the gradient ‘line’ to ensure that it is a true horizontal. (see the manual or F1 for more details)
H
Hecate
Jun 26, 2003
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:17:33 -0400, "Chuck S" wrote:

If this post ever finds it’s way to a developers desk I think that there is a very strong need and desire for a program that can be worked by most anyone out there to do jobs that really should not be so hard to get right.

Photoshop isn’t for the casual user. it’#s aimed at people who are graphics professionals and do graphics work all, or most, of the time. If you want something easier you’d be much better off with Photoshop Elements or a program which has less ability to do things, but holds your hand when you’re doing it.

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 26, 2003
Well, for the non-college course users …

1.) Open "NEW" – size as desired with WHITE background.
2.) Select the GRADIENT tool.
3.) Select the LINEAR GRADIENT OPTIONS in the OPTIONS dialogue box. If it’s not open (and you should have this one -always- open!) WINDOW => SHOW OPTIONS.
4.) Select NORMAL and Transparency = 100%. DITHER and REVERSE unchecked.
5.) Click to open the EDIT dialogue
6.) Select NEW – Name as VIOLET,WHITE click OK
7.) Middle panel, right side, click on the color box and change it to WHITE. If need be, select the left side color box to adjust the tone of the VIOLET you want. Set the position of the VIOLET for the rate of change to WHITE. Save this new gradient if you want to keep it, OTW click OK.
8.) With the GRADIENT tool selected, put the mouse on the LEFT edge of your NEW image, press and hold the SHIFT key and the LEFT MOUSE BUTTON and draw the mouse to the RIGHT edge. Release both.

TA DA !!!!!!!!!! Horns blare, Cymbals crash !!!!!!!

Sorry I don’t have an "education level" that’s "at least as high or higher than yours", so it took much more time to write this college level course than to do actually it …

…. AND it was the FIRST time I’d tried it! (’nuff said there)

BTW – the included help file is quite good – read "Creating and editing gradient fills". I did – afterwards. <G>

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:17:33 -0400, "Chuck S" found these unused words floating about:

Lets just say that Photoshop should be a great and wonderful tool if you have time to take a college course on how to use it. After 2 weeks of working on this one bar of color and countless hours and I am a very patient man …………… lets just say that a simple job in Photoshop like this should not take this kind of effort or time. I will admit that I have never had this much trouble with any program in my life. Yes I have read about everything that shipped with the program and so far I have gotten no where with this one simple action. If there was another program out there that worked on this type of action I would have used it long ago. People in this group have tried to help but as I can tell by reading the answers you are expected to fully understand this program in order to follow the actions suggested here. I guess I need to invest much more time and much more money in a very good book that will go into further detail than what the documentation that comes with this program is willing to do. If this post ever finds it’s way to a developers desk I think that there is a very strong need and desire for a program that can be worked by most anyone out there to do jobs that really should not be so hard to get right. I am sure after doing the proper studies and putting extra resources into learning Photoshop it is a wonderful program. But for us people out there that were able to put down the money to buy the program but unwilling to double that investment to learn how to work it properly ………….. we must move on to something else.
I will also add to the people out there that are thinking how stupid this rage is. Well first anger management has worked wonders for me , and my education level is at least as high or higher than yours , and now I think I will take some blood pressure meds.
Wish this had worked.
"Chuck S" wrote in message
I am going to ask this question as best as I can. I am working on a jpg
that
will be a solid color of purple and as the color purple moves across it slowly changes to white. No I have used the gradient tool but the problem
I
am have is that it will not change the color as it moves straight across.
It
will change the color in just about any other direction except straight across. I know I must be doing something wrong and would like for someone
to
explain to me what I am doing wrong.

H
Hecate
Jun 27, 2003
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:05:57 -0700, J. A. Mc.
wrote:

Well, for the non-college course users …
LOL! Well, I took a college course, so you mustn’t give away all our secrets!

(it was actually a biochemistry degree, but who’s counting!)

😉

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)
B
brad
Jun 28, 2003
try holding shift

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections