PP
Posted By
Philip Procter
Nov 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone ever seen or done an evaluation of the characteristics of the different brands of inkjet papers?

I realize that the characteristics would change between printers, but I would think that the general character of the paper would still be known. I am thinking about ordering 20 sheet boxes of glossy paper from many of the non-printer associated brands (Ilford, Stone, ProJet, Tetenal, Hanemuhle) and compare, but I don’t want to repeat what’s been done. Besides, I added up my order, and it’d be expensive!.

Philip

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

S
Stephan
Nov 30, 2004
Philip Procter wrote:
Has anyone ever seen or done an evaluation of the characteristics of the different brands of inkjet papers?

I realize that the characteristics would change between printers, but I would think that the general character of the paper would still be known. I am thinking about ordering 20 sheet boxes of glossy paper from many of the non-printer associated brands (Ilford, Stone, ProJet, Tetenal, Hanemuhle) and compare, but I don’t want to repeat what’s been done. Besides, I added up my order, and it’d be expensive!.
I don’t think it has been done.
The combinations of printer, ink,paper,profiles are almost infinite. Ilford may look good With Epson x inks, printer y, using profile z on paper w.
Even if you concentrate on one printer alone the task is not a small one. Should you perform your tests on the Epson 1280 don’t forget to post a link to your results!
Good luck

Stephan
M
Marsupilami
Nov 30, 2004
Philip Procter wrote:

Philip

For questions of conservations tests go to
http://www.knaw.nl/ecpa/PUBL/jurgens.html
and read "Mastering digital printing" from Harald Johnson I love this book that gave me the taste of fine printings in digital.

+++++++++++
Houba houba.
Marsu.
"Le num
P
Paul
Dec 6, 2004
I am taking a Photoshop course and the instructor just brought in about 30 prints of the same image on different papers. The photo type papers did quite well in reproducing the image while I thought there was quite a difference in the inkjet papers. All of the prints were done with the same hardware. Some of the papers were warm others had definite brilliant whites. The Epson Glossy which is available at Costco in 120 sheet packages did a great job of reproducing the whites. I thought the Ilford and Epson Glossy papers were for my taste the best.

Paul
"Philip Procter" wrote in message

Philip
RF
Robert Feinman
Dec 7, 2004
In article <PB_sd.7309$l%>,
says…
I am taking a Photoshop course and the instructor just brought in about 30 prints of the same image on different papers. The photo type papers did quite well in reproducing the image while I thought there was quite a difference in the inkjet papers. All of the prints were done with the same hardware. Some of the papers were warm others had definite brilliant whites. The Epson Glossy which is available at Costco in 120 sheet packages did a great job of reproducing the whites. I thought the Ilford and Epson Glossy papers were for my taste the best.

Paul
The problem with comparisons is that each print needs to be adjusted to reproduce best on the specific paper being used. This can be done by editing the file to target a specific output while using a color profile for the paper/printer combination or by having the driver software make the adjustments using the profile.
I have some discussions on optimizing for inkjet output in the tips section of my web site.
The principal differences between papers that can’t be compensated for have to do with the maximum black density and the color of the paper stock. Surface texture is usually not a big issue if the print is to be displayed in an album with plastic protectors or framed under glass.

Robert D Feinman
Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
http://robertdfeinman.com
mail:
T
TinyJohnsonn
Dec 8, 2004
i am no pro, but i think epson professional lustre is the best paper, especially for portraits

http://community.webtv.net/TinyJohnsonnnnn/MyComputer
http://community.webtv.net/TinyJohnsonnnn/recentpics
PP
Philip Procter
Dec 13, 2004
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:08:18 -0500, "Paul"
wrote:

What printer was used?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections