Posted By
tony cooper
Nov 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The image at
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/color.jpg is two different photographs taken on the same background. I’ve merged them into one image just to post them as one .jpg.

The image is of a penny, but I just used that for demo purposes. I needed something to focus on.

The background color is slightly different in each. I would like the background to be exactly the same color in each. I’d like to bring up both images tiled and adjust one to match the other in background color.

Assuming that I mask the penny (no reason to adjust the subject color) and adjust only the background color, what would be the best way to do this? I’m using Photoshop 7.0.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
Nov 14, 2007
"tony cooper" wrote in message
The image at
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/color.jpg is two different photographs taken on the same background. I’ve merged them into one image just to post them as one .jpg.
The image is of a penny, but I just used that for demo purposes. I needed something to focus on.

The background color is slightly different in each. I would like the background to be exactly the same color in each.

Assuming that I mask the penny (no reason to adjust the subject color) and adjust only the background color, what would be the best way to do this? I’m using Photoshop 7.0.

Set an info point on each background, using the max 5×5 sample size, and adjust with curves until the r, g, and b numbers match. A circular selection, inverted, is one way to mask the penny, but the easiest is probably to use the b channel of Lab, modified with levels or curves to bump the contrast. The blue channel of RGB looks like it would be a good mask as well.

But your faithful servant, der Curvemeister, says it’s an oversight to change only the background. The two pennies don’t really match – the left one is darker and a slightly different color. There’s a better way that gets the pennies and background to match, that does not rely on masking.

As is often the case, an RGB correction won’t work for this particular image, because the red channel values of the penny and background are too similar, and matching up the brightness of the penny makes the background too red. This problem can be avoided if you convert the image to Lab, select the left side of the image, and use the following curve:

;Lightness: (0,0) (65,69) (80,84) (100,100)
;a: (-128,-128) (-1,-1) (16,15) (127,127)
;b: (-126,-128) (6,4) (35,41) (126,127)

If you want to see how this curve was made, here’s more info: 70.231.243.160/tmp/TonyCooper (while my server is being cranky) www.mike.russell-home.net/tmp/TonyCooper (normally)

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
DF
Derek Fountain
Nov 15, 2007
But your faithful servant, der Curvemeister, says it’s an oversight to change only the background….

If you want to see how this curve was made, here’s more info: 70.231.243.160/tmp/TonyCooper (while my server is being cranky) www.mike.russell-home.net/tmp/TonyCooper (normally)

Surely this should go on the CurveMeister Wiki, Mike? If the OP is OK with the image being used…
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 15, 2007
"Derek Fountain" wrote in message
news:473c03c3$0$47122
….
www.mike.russell-home.net/tmp/TonyCooper (normally)

Surely this should go on the CurveMeister Wiki, Mike? If the OP is OK with the image being used…
Yep – you’re right. I’ve send Tony an email.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections