MS
Posted By
Malcolm Smith
Nov 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have seen a number of references re Photoshop (CS2) and CS3 being multithreding and as such should make good use of a Quad Core CPU chip – has anyond done any tests or have any comments on this?

Malcolm

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MS
Malcolm Smith
Nov 24, 2007
Not a single reply to my OP – very dissapointing. Never mind I have ordered a quad core machine so will see for myself.

Malcolm
"Malcolm Smith" wrote in message
I have seen a number of references re Photoshop (CS2) and CS3 being multithreding and as such should make good use of a Quad Core CPU chip – has anyond done any tests or have any comments on this?

Malcolm
D
Dave
Nov 25, 2007
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:28:34 GMT, "Malcolm Smith" wrote:

Not a single reply to my OP – very dissapointing. Never mind I have ordered a quad core machine so will see for myself.

Malcolm

Malcolm

encore to the audience
that is the way all top posters should be treated

Dave
K
krash
Nov 25, 2007
I guess no-one had tried or has that machine… let us know how it works… kk

Malcolm

Malcolm

P
pico
Nov 25, 2007

Not a single reply to my OP – very dissapointing. Never mind I have ordered
a quad core machine so will see for myself.

Illustrator has multithreading, but I find no mentions of Photoshop CS3 having it. How could you tell even if you did have a quad processor machine?
S
saswss
Nov 25, 2007
In article ,
"pico" writes:

Not a single reply to my OP – very dissapointing. Never mind I have ordered
a quad core machine so will see for myself.

Illustrator has multithreading, but I find no mentions of Photoshop CS3 having it. How could you tell even if you did have a quad processor machine?

Very simple. Run something and see how many of the cores/processors are busy.

Some things in Photoshop CS3 are multithreaded and some are not. For example, .psd I/O is multithreaded, but .tif I/O is not.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.
P
pico
Nov 26, 2007
"Warren Sarle" wrote in message

Some things in Photoshop CS3 are multithreaded and some are not. For example, .psd I/O is multithreaded, but .tif I/O is not.

That is all there is to it?

I have a MacPro with 4 processors and according to the monitor they are always busy when a process is busy. No processor is ever idle. Very often they are alike in response.
S
saswss
Nov 27, 2007
In article ,
"pico" writes:

That is all there is to it?

I have a MacPro with 4 processors and according to the monitor they are always busy when a process is busy. No processor is ever idle. Very often they are alike in response.

On Windows, when I save a .tif file, one core is very busy, while the others show low levels of system activity. When I save a .psd file, all 4 cores are veru busy. Similar things happen with various filters, that is, either one core is very busy and the others almost idle, or all 4 cores are very busy. Of course, this is when no other applications are running.

Perhaps Photoshop has more algorithms multithreaded on Macs than on Windows. Perhaps Macs are better at distributing system calls across cores/processors.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.
P
pico
Nov 28, 2007
On Windows, when I save a .tif file, one core is very busy, while the others show low levels of system activity. When I save a .psd file, all 4 cores are veru busy. Similar things happen with various filters, that is, either one core is very busy and the others almost idle, or all 4 cores are very busy. Of course, this is when no other applications are running.

The task of saving is largely about disc-IO. No? Overlap read-writes are the task of the OS.

Perhaps Photoshop has more algorithms multithreaded on Macs than on Windows. Perhaps Macs are better at distributing system calls across cores/processors.

Dunno. I would look to your direction to tell me how to tell for certain. I do know that with the MacPro I can use a whole lot more RAM than I can with my WindoZe XP-Pro system (not the server version.) But still, when it comes to terminal-IO I don’t see where multithreading can be _significantly_ helpful.

I leave it to you Warren. I know you are a seasoned veteran with PS.

Respectfully,
Pico
MS
Malcolm Smith
Nov 30, 2007
The new machine has arrived – I will post my impressions in about a week as a new post.

Regards
Malcolm

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections