KG
Posted By
Kathryn_Gomez
Apr 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Why is it that there are times when I open a file in Photoshop 7 & CS, (eg a .gif of our copany logo that has never given me a problem before) that it opens as an "index" layer which I am then unable to do anything with, include duplicate the layer, drag to a new image etc., and how do I fix this please?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

KG
Kathryn_Gomez
Apr 15, 2004
Why is it that there are times when I open a file in Photoshop 7 & CS, (eg a .gif of our copany logo that has never given me a problem before) that it opens as an "index" layer which I am then unable to do anything with, include duplicate the layer, drag to a new image etc., and how do I fix this please?
SP
Scott_Perkins
Apr 15, 2004
Kathryn,

Don’t worry, the solution is simple. Open your .gif in Photoshop. You’ll get the index layer, because .gifs uses up to 256 indexed colors. Just go to the menu, select IMAGE, then MODE and change the mode to RGB. Then, you’ll be able to do anything you want with it.

–Scott
SP
Scott_Perkins
Apr 15, 2004
Kathryn,

Just open your file in Photoshop. Go to the menu and select IMAGE, then MODE and change the mode to RGB. Then you’ll be able to do anything you want with it.

The reason you get the index layer is because .gifs use indexed colors.

–Scott
KG
Kathryn_Gomez
Apr 19, 2004
Thank you Scott. Wish all of my PS problems could be this easily solved.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections