Posted By
LawrenceT
Nov 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Folks,
I’d like to buy a new monitor for my Photoshop work and have visually compared the Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" Cinema Display (side by side comparision in a big box retailer)… the Apple seems to be better (certainly the design is tres cool) but the expense is daunting… has anyone come across a detailed technical evaluation of either monitor ?.. I’m most concerned with the color fidelity and gamut of the Samsung guessing the Apple display is the gold standard (at least for my needs).. many thanks.. all help gratefully appreciated…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
burt
Nov 4, 2007
LawrenceT wrote:

Folks,
I’d like to buy a new monitor for my Photoshop work and have visually compared the Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" Cinema Display (side by side comparision in a big box retailer)… the Apple seems to be better (certainly the design is tres cool) but the expense is daunting… has anyone come across a detailed technical evaluation of either monitor ?.. I’m most concerned with the color fidelity and gamut of the Samsung guessing the Apple display is the gold standard (at least for my needs).. many thanks.. all help gratefully appreciated…

I have had an Apple Cinema since the days when you had to buy a new computer in order to buy a Cinema. I am currently on my second one, since the first one died after a few years.

When I added a second monitor, I went with a Dell monitor though. I don’t know about your Samsung. For all I know, the Dell is a Samsung…?

At any rate, the reasons I now buy Dell monitors for my Macs are:

1) Leo Laporte first commented on liking his in Macbreak Weekly, which is what got me to even consider one (my first thought was to hold up a silver cross and find a silver bullet…)

2) The Dell monitors have adjustable height. The fixed height of the Cinema often means I am propping it up in one location, or craning my neck in another.

3) The Dell is a heck of a lot cheaper.

4) The Dell has a variety of possible direct inputs.

5) I really wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the images of the two, if it weren’t for the bezel.

– Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.
http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
TC
tony cooper
Nov 4, 2007
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 15:21:58 GMT, (Burt
Johnson) wrote:

LawrenceT wrote:

Folks,

I have had an Apple Cinema since the days when you had to buy a new computer in order to buy a Cinema. I am currently on my second one, since the first one died after a few years.

When I added a second monitor, I went with a Dell monitor though. I don’t know about your Samsung. For all I know, the Dell is a Samsung…?

I think Dell monitors *are* made by Samsung. See:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/pressoff ice/en/2001/2001_03_21_aus_000?c=us&cs=555&l=en& s=biz

I have a Samsung SynMaster 931b, and I’m very happy with it.

My next desktop will be purchased from Dell…a company that has sense enough to offer Windows XP at no upcharge as an option to Vista.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
L
LawrenceT
Nov 4, 2007
I never thought of Dell as offering good graphics minitors.. and I do believe their supplier is Samsung.. so I’ll have another llok at Dell.. and also it seems that the Samsung 215TW may be a good choice…

"Burt Johnson" wrote in message
LawrenceT wrote:

Folks,
I’d like to buy a new monitor for my Photoshop work and have visually compared the Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" Cinema Display (side by side comparision in a big box retailer)… the Apple seems to be better (certainly the design is tres cool) but the expense is daunting… has anyone come across a detailed technical evaluation of either monitor ?.. I’m most concerned with the color fidelity and gamut of the Samsung guessing
the Apple display is the gold standard (at least for my needs).. many thanks.. all help gratefully appreciated…

At any rate, the reasons I now buy Dell monitors for my Macs are:
1) Leo Laporte first commented on liking his in Macbreak Weekly, which is what got me to even consider one (my first thought was to hold up a silver cross and find a silver bullet…)

2) The Dell monitors have adjustable height. The fixed height of the Cinema often means I am propping it up in one location, or craning my neck in another.

3) The Dell is a heck of a lot cheaper.

4) The Dell has a variety of possible direct inputs.

5) I really wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the images of the two, if it weren’t for the bezel.

– Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.
http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections