What is the advantage of saving in .psd over .tiff ?

AC
Posted By
Andrew_Curatola
Apr 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m just a hobbyest not a pro, I only play in Photoshop with my digital camera. Since Photoshop 4 when I got my first digital camera, I would always save my digital camera images using the .tiff format. This was due to the fact that at the time I didn’t have a clue about Photoshop or how to use a PC.
Nine digital cameras and using Photoshop CS, I still save my digital camera images in the .tiff format which I think is just out of habit.
I know you can save layers using .psd but you can also do that with .tiff. I’m not concerned about file size and I have a fast machine.
My question is using the above information, what would be, if any, the advantages of saving in .psd rather than .tiff?
Thank you
Andrew

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SF
Scott_Falkner
Apr 14, 2004
A TIFF file saved with layers might be incompatible with some software. I think there’s support for comments within TIFF files, and that’s where Photoshop saves the layers. The TIFF file must also have a flattened version of the file to be compatible with other programs. This, plus TIFF’s more limited compression abilities, will make a layered TIFF file larger than a PSD, and possibly larger than a combination of PSD and flattened TIFF.

Furthermore, if using the image in a layout, which will be collected and sent to a printer as native files, you need only send the smaller TIFF file, not the larger layers master.

It is my preference to keep both files, but only use the TIFF for linking and sending to printers. This practice is old-school for sure, and will likely die out as native PSD support and PDF output gain acceptance in professional workflow.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 14, 2004
Actually I wouldnt be surprised to see the PSD format eventually die out in favor of layered Tiff.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Apr 14, 2004
Exactly my point. I predict PSD will grow to challenge TIFF as the dominant image format.
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Apr 14, 2004
adjustment layers
J
JasonSmith
Apr 14, 2004
Um, I was saying exactly the opposite.

"PSD format eventually die out in favor of layered Tiff"
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 15, 2004
Um, I was saying exactly the opposite.

<Moaner>Live, die, it’s all the same! *sigh*</Moaner>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections