DR
Posted By
Dino_Roncalli
Apr 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Probably most of you tasted what I felt after having realized that "that" file should not have been deleted and the trash can emptied… Nevertheless I extracted from my black top-hat a (registered) copy of a well known undelete utility and, voilà… that file went back from that gray region.
All my pride got flatten out when Photoshop CS (and is dad 7.0.1 too) declared, after it started to open and arrived to half way in the progress bar: "Impossible to complete this request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop"
All my sorrows weren’t able to induce ps to accept that file and other similar fellows in misfortune.
With some doubt about the undelete utility, I reproduced the situation on another system, this time with no problems at all: file deleted, trash can emptied, file undeleted and successfully opened.
If the undelete utility does not work well, ps should realize immediately that the file is corrupted, and, at least, should start some kind of rebuilding of the informations found, leaving to the operator the choice to accept or not what has been recovered. On other CAD systems such rebuilding function do exists: is there any similar for Photoshop?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 14, 2004
Some people have had success opening a damaged file in another program Infraview (sp?) has been mentioned, as has Corel.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 14, 2004
Close Don…just a bit of transposed letters going on this morning:

Irfanview is what Don is referring to: <http://www.irfanview.com> is where you can download this sweet piece of freeware.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 14, 2004
i’ve been dabbling with ifranview recently too. very nice piece of SW.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Apr 14, 2004
I had the same problem with a hard disk that got compromised when I tried to eliminate a partition (They told me to back up the files first, but do you think I would listen?). The files were there, but nothing would open them. I did find some software that reworked those files so i could open them, but they were renamed (numbered) converted to jpeg, and file size reduced dramatically. To confuse matters, some files did remain .psd, would now open, and stayed at the same size. A few others refused all medication.

Oh, well, I didn’t need them anyway. Couldn’t have amounted to anything. Junk…. 🙁
DR
Dino_Roncalli
Apr 15, 2004
Dave, Don, Daryl: my thanks for the the suggestion to point to another sw, but irfanview this time was not able to open the file. I remain at the pole, hoping that my wish sooner or later became a Photoshop function, plugin or external utility.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Apr 15, 2004
One thing to try–drag a duplicate copy to your desktop and rename with a .tif exention. You will probably lose your layers, but you may get it to open. Had close to the same problem with some computers on campus that ate student midterm files and this did work for recovering most of them

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections