Posted By
sonsdad
Aug 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Group

I am interested in opinions on the best magazine for Photoshop users?

Thanks in advance

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
Joe
Aug 18, 2007
sonsdad wrote:

Hi Group

There is no "The Best" else there should be no other "2nd best", cuz not many people not want to get "The Best"

I don’t read any "the best" but I would suggest to drop-dead "the best" and ask for some specific interest

Thanks in advance
OC
Oliver Costich
Aug 18, 2007
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 13:02:07 GMT, sonsdad
wrote:

Hi Group

Thanks in advance

For me, Photoshop User
S
sonsdad
Aug 18, 2007
Joe wrote:
sonsdad wrote:

Hi Group

There is no "The Best" else there should be no other "2nd best", cuz not many people not want to get "The Best"

I don’t read any "the best" but I would suggest to drop-dead "the best" and ask for some specific interest

Thanks in advance

I take your point Joe but I was actually trying to find the magazine that most Photoshop users would choose first each month. I realise that from a semantical prospective it may not be the best but it will probably suit me.
R
Roberto
Aug 19, 2007
Well, I like Photoshop User from the NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals). Unfortunately (and short sighedly I might add) you can only get a subscription when you join NAPP. The cost of that $100. However, the magazine is fantastic and has lots of usful tutorials. You can check some of your local book stores. Like my local Borders has each issue for $9.95 since I have totally no use for the rest of the things that the NAPP membership gives (mostly discounts to over priced items) I just go to Borders ever other month and buy the issue (it is a bi-month publication).

Robert
MS
Malcolm Smith
Aug 19, 2007
I think books are better value than magazines – they contain much more info at a lower cost. I like Martin Evenings book Photshop CS3 for Photographers.

Malcolm
"sonsdad" wrote in message
Hi Group

I am interested in opinions on the best magazine for Photoshop users? Thanks in advance
D
Dave
Aug 19, 2007
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:22:34 GMT, sonsdad
wrote:

Joe wrote:
sonsdad wrote:

Hi Group

Like Joe said, there is no ‘The Best’ because they target different issues. May favourite, *because this is my line of working* is Photoshop Creative. I have stopped buying *Photoshop* magazines because all of it is available on Internet via tutorials and tutorials and tutorials… (which is not the case for Painter).
The magazine I buy is Corel Painters Official Magazine
but my favourite Photoshop Mag was and still is
‘Photoshop Creative’
http://www.pshopcreative.co.uk/

Dave

PS
Open one at your local bookstore, look at it before deciding which magazine to go for. When you decided on one, we’d like to know what you decided on and why:-)
D
Dave
Aug 19, 2007
Top Poster, "Malcolm Smith" wrote:

I think books are better value than magazines – they contain much more info at a lower cost. I like Martin Evenings book Photshop CS3 for Photographers.

Malcolm
Hi Group

I am interested in opinions on the best magazine for Photoshop users? Thanks in advance

and you should start reading
http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html
http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html

I do not know why you would read advanced books like Martin Evening’s but can not even understand USENET yet.

Dave
MS
Malcolm Smith
Aug 19, 2007
Dave

I have seen your high and mighty comments on top posters before. Bottom posting is efficient provided you follow the rules in the articles you cited but you don’t. I suggest you read the cited articles again and understand them before criticising others. Unfortunately most botom posters don’t follow the rules and their posts particularly with a long thread are a pain to read – top posting in these cases is a better option.

Malcolm the top poster.

"Dave" wrote in message
Top Poster, "Malcolm Smith" wrote:

I think books are better value than magazines – they contain much more info
at a lower cost. I like Martin Evenings book Photshop CS3 for Photographers.

Malcolm
Hi Group

I do not know why you would read advanced books like Martin Evening’s but can not even understand USENET yet.

Dave

R
Roberto
Aug 20, 2007
"Malcolm Smith" wrote in message

Malcolm
Hi Group

But then a book is always the same. Magazines change from issue to issue and tend to cover a wider range of material. Most of the Photoshop books I have seen seem more alike than anything else. A lot of basics and very little that shows you how to do anything truly new, unique or interesting. Magazines tend to be better at than than books.

Somebody!
R
Roberto
Aug 20, 2007
Besides who wants to scroll through all of that crap because posters are too stupid to trim the posts so they don’t go on and on and on with crap one has already read. Just because you read a book from top to bottom doesn’t mean that is how it should be on the net. Also, as far as I can tell there isn’t a law stating you have to. I would suggest if one doesn’t like top posters that they not read the message. Those that don’t like bottom posters should do the same.

Somebody
S
sonsdad
Aug 20, 2007
Somebody wrote:

Malcolm
Hi Group

But then a book is always the same. Magazines change from issue to issue and tend to cover a wider range of material. Most of the Photoshop books I have seen seem more alike than anything else. A lot of basics and very little that shows you how to do anything truly new, unique or interesting. Magazines tend to be better at than than books.
Somebody!

Your comments have been helpful, does anyone subscribe to Layers? My problem is that I live in the UK and cannot see these in my local shop.The magazine I did take, Digital Photo Art, went down the pan some time ago and I have been looking for a replacement and thought it may be worth a subscription from the States.
I tend to agree with Somebody who comments the magazines change constantly. I have lots of books and they are useful too. I also find Russell Brown and Ian Lyons very useful

Sonsdad
J
Joe
Aug 20, 2007
sonsdad wrote:

Joe wrote:
sonsdad wrote:

Hi Group

Thanks in advance

I take your point Joe but I was actually trying to find the magazine that most Photoshop users would choose first each month. I realise that from a semantical prospective it may not be the best but it will probably suit me.

I don’t subscribe to any to know much detail, but once awhile I go through some at some locak Doctor Clinics (or hospital once awhile) where I come to see my doctors, and many Photographer magazines (I am photographer) have some photo retouching sections, and too me it’s much poorer than many free stuff you can find on internet.

Back to your question, you will need to figure out exactly what you want to learn, to see then someone here may be able to help you with the choice. Me? I would suggest to join some forum like DPreview’s Retouching forum (and similar) there you can learn from many other Photoshop users, you can play along then comparing yours with the works of others.
K
KatWoman
Aug 31, 2007
NO IT IS NOT A BETTER OPTION TO PUT THE ANSWER ABOVE THE QUESTION

Dave
I have seen your high and mighty comments on top posters before. Bottom posting is efficient provided you follow the rules in the articles you cited but you don’t. I suggest you read the cited articles again and understand them before criticising others. Unfortunately most botom posters don’t follow the rules and their posts particularly with a long thread are a pain to read – top posting in these cases is a better option.

Malcolm the top poster.

Malcolm the top poster.
IS RUDE
top posting fucks up the order of the conversation
STOP IT
Dave is right
get with the program, that’s how we do it around here

"Dave" wrote in message

SNIPPED

Dave

K
KatWoman
Aug 31, 2007
"Somebody" wrote in message
Besides who wants to scroll through all of that crap because posters are too stupid to trim the posts so they don’t go on and on and on with crap one has already read. Just because you read a book from top to bottom doesn’t mean that is how it should be on the net. Also, as far as I can tell there isn’t a law stating you have to. I would suggest if one doesn’t like top posters that they not read the message. Those that don’t like bottom posters should do the same.

Somebody

because you have the RIGHT to do something does not make it the right thing to do!!
or the polite, courteous, logical thing to do.
THIS NEWSGROUP does NOT USE TOP POSTS
SO DON’T
how hard is that ?
or you just prefer to be contrary for the sake of it??
or you enjoy being a rude boy???

I see why certain very informed and intelligent people no longer contribute here
Rude, unappreciative, contentious, trollers, spammers, poor advice from untrained novice users who think they know it all

I am getting ready to join them in leaving here or plonk a few of the new and obnoxious breed we seem to have attracted here.
MS
Malcolm Smith
Sep 2, 2007
In this instancs both Katwoman and Dave are in fact the ones that are rude and don’t show courtesy to readers. In the articles Dave constantly quotes on posting the articles say that to show courtesy the previous posters text should be edited down to that which you wish to "quote" – Dave does not do this and it looks like Katwoman doesn’t either. It is rude to force readers to pagedown past unnecessary text to read your reply. If you can’t bottom post correctly then top post.

Malcolm the top poster

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections