M
Posted By
measekite
Aug 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After using Photoshop7 and looking at the latest version of Gimp running under Windows I feel that Photoshop is better than Gimp. However, I can, with a little extra effort do almost as much in Gimp with the exception of editable adjustment filters. I can simulate them but cannot edit them; just turn them on and off.

Now if I stay with Windows the next time I build a machine the question is do I spend a couple of hundred dollars to upgrade Photoshop or do I use Gimp at now cost. Now I may miss the new Photoshop stuff if I knew about them but that is the way it is. Now if I decide to go to Linux and use all open source software then I will save around $1,000 for upgrading all the Windows software and also supporting Microsoft.

That will buy me a DSLR with a couple of lenses.

The question is do I want to learn a new OS. I have already concluded that Open Office is better than Microsoft Office except for the database part. Nothing beats MS Access and Visual Basic for Applications. Now do I want to spend a lot of time learning MySQL and C++.

There are issues. Gimp and open and save in psd format but Photoshop cannot read Gimp’s file format.

So the big question is Gimp Good Enough even though PS is better.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

H
Herb
Aug 16, 2007
Measekite,

One of my computers runs Ubuntu Linux, which I love and which comes with Gimp. Unfortunately, since reading Margulis’ book, Photoshop Lab Color, I now do all of my photo editing in LAB mode. However, Gimp does not offer LAB mode, so for me it’s still PS for image editing.

Herb

measekite wrote:
After using Photoshop7 and looking at the latest version of Gimp running under Windows I feel that Photoshop is better than Gimp. However, I can, with a little extra effort do almost as much in Gimp with the exception of editable adjustment filters. I can simulate them but cannot edit them; just turn them on and off.

Now if I stay with Windows the next time I build a machine the question is do I spend a couple of hundred dollars to upgrade Photoshop or do I use Gimp at now cost. Now I may miss the new Photoshop stuff if I knew about them but that is the way it is. Now if I decide to go to Linux and use all open source software then I will save around $1,000 for upgrading all the Windows software and also supporting Microsoft. That will buy me a DSLR with a couple of lenses.

The question is do I want to learn a new OS. I have already concluded that Open Office is better than Microsoft Office except for the database part. Nothing beats MS Access and Visual Basic for Applications. Now do I want to spend a lot of time learning MySQL and C++.
There are issues. Gimp and open and save in psd format but Photoshop cannot read Gimp’s file format.

T
Tacit
Aug 16, 2007
In article <eBPwi.139$>,
measekite wrote:

Depends on what you want to do. Is it good enough for you? We don’t know, if we don’t know how you use it.

GIMP can do perhaps 15% of what Photoshop can do. However, the vast majority of Photoshop users only understand a tiny fraction of Photoshop’s power and don’t know most of Photoshop’s capabilities, the two programs look very similar in power and capacity to them…which is fine, because it means that for those users, Photoshop is overkill.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
-Lost
Aug 18, 2007
tacit’s response:

"GIMP can do perhaps 15% of what Photoshop can do. However…"

I don’t believe that’s an accurate number.

Is that your opinion or do you have some reference for stating that?

-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don’t e-mail me. I am kidding. No I am not.
G
gemutlichkeit1
Aug 26, 2007
GIMP has limitations compared to even PS7: 8-bit color per channel, no support for image color matching (for color profiles & color management) are the two biggest imo

GIMP can do some things pretty well compared to PS, working with .png format in GIMP improves its functionality. As a trick, try saving files you edit in PS7 as .png with the color profile you want applied to the image first. Then open the .png in GIMP, try saving the .png as a .jpeg. Watch what happens to the image quality of the .jpeg you get by this technique (hint: very high quality!)

these are done using that process I just described:

http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00656ai1.jpg http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pimg0756ny5.jpg

in CS2, sRGB profile was applied to the 16-bit .tifs (generated by UFRAW from .dng files btw), then saved as .png, opened in GIMP, then resized HQ (cubic), then saved as 85% jpeg… not bad, I’m sure you’ll agree -jg-

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections