Difference between Adobe Photoshop 4 and 7 big?

R
Posted By
rockets
Jun 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using Adobe Photoshop 4 since I won it a few years ago. I use it mainly to scan images and prepare them for the web (size and color reduction, image touch up, etc). It doesn’t slice images for table insertion on the web, however.

I can purchase the Photoshop 7 upgrade for $125 and was wondering if it was worth it. How much of a difference is there between Photoshop 4 and 7 from a real world point of view. Regarding features and tools that real people use, is Photoshop 7 worth the price? Thanks for any input you can give.

Joe C.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
rockets
Jun 24, 2003

P.S. I fogot to add that I have a new 3 ghz Dell with the
hyperthreading Pentium chip that suppose to speed up Photoshop 7. Does it???

Joe C.

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:34:11 GMT, (Joe Cacciatore)
wrote:

I have been using Adobe Photoshop 4 since I won it a few years ago. I use it mainly to scan images and prepare them for the web (size and color reduction, image touch up, etc). It doesn’t slice images for table insertion on the web, however.

I can purchase the Photoshop 7 upgrade for $125 and was wondering if it was worth it. How much of a difference is there between Photoshop 4 and 7 from a real world point of view. Regarding features and tools that real people use, is Photoshop 7 worth the price? Thanks for any input you can give.

Joe C.
R
rockets
Jun 24, 2003
Thanks for your quick feedback. Based on what you said, I just ordered it from Dell. The price was $125.96 and that includes free shipping (and no tax)!

Should have in 2 days!!!

joe C.

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:44:52 -0700, CoolSnake37
wrote:

wrote:

Joe C.

Yes, you definately want to upgrade to Photoshop 7. Since you are mainly using for retouching and web use the new features in PS7 will make your life much easier.

The healing brush has made my life much easier just from going from PS6 to PS7. I do an extensive amount of photo retouching and I wonder how I ever got along without the healing brush before now.
Also since you are doing web images, PS7 comes with Imageready. Imageready does just what it sounds like, it gets your images ready for the web. It has multiple preview windows that you can set so each one previews a different setting of your original document. You can see a preview of your image if it were to be saved as a gif with 256 colors, a gif with 16 colors, a jpg, and countless other adjustable preview options.

PS7 also has tons of other new features that have been implemented in versions 5 thru 7, like multiple undo’s, a file browser that shows previews of all the images in a folder, layer styles, and on and on and on.

Plus if you can buy the upgrade for $120 you are saving about $20. The SMRP is $150. Go for it. I guarantee you will love it.
D
Diane
Jun 24, 2003
Would that be the same for me … the upgrade price I mean? I have 5.5 and would like to upgrade .. but can’t pay too much right now.

Also, is the ‘healing brush’ the same as the clone tool ….. or different? I’ve heard that the newest version allows you to write ‘type’ right in the document now, instead of having to open up a separate window ….. is that true?

Thanks,
Dee
R
Rick
Jun 24, 2003
"Diane" wrote in message
Would that be the same for me … the upgrade price I mean? I have 5.5 and would like to upgrade .. but can’t pay too much right now.
Also, is the ‘healing brush’ the same as the clone tool ….. or different?

The healing brush is a slightly different concept than the clone tool. Instead of simply duplicating another area of an image it takes into account the color/contrast balance of the destination area. The results are usually much smoother and more subtle.

I’ve heard that the newest version allows you to write ‘type’ right in the document now, instead of having to open up a separate window ….. is that true?

Yes.

RickW
R
rockets
Jun 24, 2003
From my studies the upgrade price is good for anyone but of course you need to meet the following 2 conditions:

1. have a SN for a down level ver of Photoshop
2. have Photoshop installed on the same platform which you plan to install 7.0

At least that is what I get from reading the upgrade details on various web pages.

Joe C.

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:20:27 GMT, "Diane"
wrote:

Also, is the ‘healing brush’ the same as the clone tool ….. or different? I’ve heard that the newest version allows you to write ‘type’ right in the document now, instead of having to open up a separate window ….. is that true?

Thanks,
Dee

L
llutton
Jun 24, 2003
I just upgraded from Photoshop v4 to v7. I did a clean install – I had bought a new PC and didn’t bother to install my older v4 on it. When doing a clean install of an upgrade, you will be asked to place the older version CD in the CD-ROM player. It was simple and it worked.
Lynn

From my studies the upgrade price is good for anyone but of course you need to meet the following 2 conditions:

1. have a SN for a down level ver of Photoshop
2. have Photoshop installed on the same platform which you plan to install 7.0

At least that is what I get from reading the upgrade details on various web pages.

Joe C.
D
Diane
Jun 25, 2003
Thanks Joe!

Dee
H
Hecate
Jun 25, 2003
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:37:07 GMT, (Joe Cacciatore)
wrote:

P.S. I fogot to add that I have a new 3 ghz Dell with the hyperthreading Pentium chip that suppose to speed up Photoshop 7. Does it???
No. All the tests I’ve seen show that PS, along with most other software, is faster with hyperthreading turned off. That’s not likely to change in the near future. By the time it works, anyway, AMD will have their 64 bit processor working smoothly and a 64 bit PS (which I hope they’ll be coding right now) will make hyperthreading long like last century’s technology (which, of course, it is).

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)
C
CoolSnake37
Jun 25, 2003
wrote:

Joe C.

Yes, you definately want to upgrade to Photoshop 7. Since you are mainly using for retouching and web use the new features in PS7 will make your life much easier.

The healing brush has made my life much easier just from going from PS6 to PS7. I do an extensive amount of photo retouching and I wonder how I ever got along without the healing brush before now.

Also since you are doing web images, PS7 comes with Imageready. Imageready does just what it sounds like, it gets your images ready for the web. It has multiple preview windows that you can set so each one previews a different setting of your original document. You can see a preview of your image if it were to be saved as a gif with 256 colors, a gif with 16 colors, a jpg, and countless other adjustable preview options.

PS7 also has tons of other new features that have been implemented in versions 5 thru 7, like multiple undo’s, a file browser that shows previews of all the images in a folder, layer styles, and on and on and on.

Plus if you can buy the upgrade for $120 you are saving about $20. The SMRP is $150. Go for it. I guarantee you will love it.
J
jrzyguy
Jun 25, 2003
dont even THINK about it….just get it!!!!

"Joe Cacciatore" wrote in message

Joe C.
BD
big daddy framer
Jun 26, 2003
www.winmx.com (free)
"jrzyguy" wrote in message
dont even THINK about it….just get it!!!!

"Joe Cacciatore" wrote in message

Joe C.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections