Posted By
Stephan
Nov 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi group,

Something I noticed but never bothered me…until now 🙁 I open a JPEG, duplicate it and save the copy using Quality 12 (maximum) Why is the copy so much bigger than the original? 2,700 KB becomes 3,190 KB I am assembling JPEGs in a Stitching application and it refuses my copies because they do not have the same size than the originals. What is PS adding to the file?
How can I save copies, edited or not, so they have the exact same size than the original?

Aloha,

Stephan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

E
edjh
Nov 23, 2004
Stephan wrote:

Hi group,

Something I noticed but never bothered me…until now 🙁 I open a JPEG, duplicate it and save the copy using Quality 12 (maximum) Why is the copy so much bigger than the original? 2,700 KB becomes 3,190 KB I am assembling JPEGs in a Stitching application and it refuses my copies because they do not have the same size than the originals. What is PS adding to the file?
How can I save copies, edited or not, so they have the exact same size than the original?

Aloha,

Stephan
Use Save for Web. It won’t add any data. In the 4 up choose the quality setting you want, probably High.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
E
edjh
Nov 23, 2004
edjh wrote:

Stephan wrote:

Hi group,

Something I noticed but never bothered me…until now 🙁 I open a JPEG, duplicate it and save the copy using Quality 12 (maximum) Why is the copy so much bigger than the original? 2,700 KB becomes 3,190 KB
I am assembling JPEGs in a Stitching application and it refuses my copies because they do not have the same size than the originals. What is PS adding to the file?
How can I save copies, edited or not, so they have the exact same size than
the original?

Aloha,

Stephan
Use Save for Web. It won’t add any data. In the 4 up choose the quality setting you want, probably High.
I would also question why you are opening and resaving. If you want the same file just copy it without opening. Resaving jpg degrades quality.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
S
Stephan
Nov 23, 2004
I would also question why you are opening and resaving. If you want the same file just copy it without opening. Resaving jpg degrades quality.

Thanks, I have to see what Save for Web does.
I just saved without changing anything to test, otherwise I do change things to the file.
BTW, opening and closing a JPEG does NOT degrade it in any way.

I still wonder what PS does to a file when saving it.

Stephan.
S
Stephan
Nov 23, 2004
"edjh" wrote in message
Stephan wrote:

Hi group,

Something I noticed but never bothered me…until now 🙁 I open a JPEG, duplicate it and save the copy using Quality 12 (maximum) Why is the copy so much bigger than the original? 2,700 KB becomes 3,190
KB
I am assembling JPEGs in a Stitching application and it refuses my
copies
because they do not have the same size than the originals. What is PS adding to the file?
How can I save copies, edited or not, so they have the exact same size
than
the original?

Aloha,

Stephan

2,700 KB Saved for Web
High –> 591KB
Very High –> 1,163KB
Max –> 3,016KB

Where do the additional 316KB come from?

Stephan
EG
Eric Gill
Nov 23, 2004
"Stephan" wrote in news:tgwod.12444$Uj.8264
@twister.socal.rr.com:

Recompresses the data it decompressed for editing.

The original compression has little bearing on the final file size.

You will *never* get exactly the original file size with a lossy compression scheme. Period.
N
nomail
Nov 23, 2004
Stephan wrote:

2,700 KB Saved for Web
High –> 591KB
Very High –> 1,163KB
Max –> 3,016KB

From the fact that "max" uses less compression than the original compression of your file. It’s like squeezing a sponge, but this time you sqeezed a little less. Why is that so hard to understand?

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
S
Stephan
Nov 23, 2004
Eric Gill wrote:
@twister.socal.rr.com:

You will *never* get exactly the original file size with a lossy compression scheme. Period.

I understand that now but lossy means losing something and I end up with more.

Stephan
S
Stephan
Nov 23, 2004
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Stephan wrote:

2,700 KB Saved for Web
High –> 591KB
Very High –> 1,163KB
Max –> 3,016KB

From the fact that "max" uses less compression than the original compression of your file. It’s like squeezing a sponge, but this time you sqeezed a little less.

OK now I got it
Thank you.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Oh I don’t know… Maybe I’m getting stupid as I get older.

Stephan
EG
Eric Gill
Nov 23, 2004
Stephan wrote in news:jVKod.59096$hN1.57982
@twister.socal.rr.com:

Eric Gill wrote:
@twister.socal.rr.com:

You lost information. As un-technically as possible, JPEG creates a less- detailed approximation of your image.

The amount of pixels is the same, which you then apply a lesser degree of compression to and wind up with a larger file.
F
Fixx
Nov 24, 2004
In article ,
Eric Gill wrote:

You lost information. As un-technically as possible, JPEG creates a less- detailed approximation of your image.

The amount of pixels is the same, which you then apply a lesser degree of compression to and wind up with a larger file.

And losing information is cumulative, each time you recompress you lose more information i.e. quality — even if datasize grows. -F
M
Meldon
Nov 26, 2004
"Stephan" wrote in message

Oh I don’t know… Maybe I’m getting stupid as I get older.

Stephan

It seems we’re all learning things.
LL
Leonard Lehew
Nov 27, 2004
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:58:12 GMT, "Stephan"
wrote:

Hi group,

Aloha,

Stephan
When you opened the original file, it was un-compressed into your computer’s main memory (RAM). Suppose the original image was 3000 x 4000 pixels with 8 bits per pixel. The uncompressed image occupies about 12 million bytes of memory. (3000 X 4000 X 8 bits / 8 bits/byte). When you saved it, the editing program sampled the in-memory copy of the file to produce a new JPEG file. The size of the new file is a function of the data in the file and the amount of compression you applied. It is pretty much unrelated to the size of of the original file.

Cheers,

Leonard

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections